xisto Community
Rigaudon

Suggestions For Interview Please.

Hi everybody,I have an interview this Saturday for a really prestigious school that revolves around math and science (only 13 of these schools in the USA). I'm relatively young and have almost no experience in interviews. I know some of you are much wiser than I and can offer me some advice apart from the obvious (dress nicely, be polite, etc.) I'm really nervous and psyched for this, mostly since the majority of the people who apply for MIT (my dream school) here get in.Thanks in advance.

i would say eye contact is very important. since mit is your dream school, then you probably know things already, but it's important to do your research about the school before you go in for an interview. that way, you can mention the things about the school and why you want to go there. a good hint to the research part is to try to find some good trivia about the school that even the interviewer may not know. be confident, but not cocky. listen, and don't interupt. pretend you already know they are going to accept you to help build that confidence and to help you relax.just a few suggestions for now ;)

Oh yea, I forgot about eye contact. I suppose I should learn a little more about the school too. Pretend that I'm going to be accepted already- I like that. I'm writing these things down and practicing speaking in front of the mirror in the hope that it will do some good.Coincidentally, I talked to a neighbor of mine who was accepted to this school and she said that an interviewer asked her "What is pi?". Conveniently, I've memorized Pi to about 100 digits, but would be the best response? I think I'd like to say "Tasty pastry" for humor but I'd be in pretty bad shape if the interviewer had no sense of humor. My neighbor said "a number", but I don't think I'd be satisfied with a simple answer like that ;) Thanks for the tips, anwiii.

Knowing the school will help a lot, also ask questions to your interviewer when giving the opportunity, of course make sure your resume is error free and completely honest. Do not have anything in your hands or even fidget with your hands as well, try to remain calm the whole time.

Beside have knowledge of the subjects & the school, dress well and maintain eye contact, another important factor is to be confidence. You might be shivering inside, but exteriorly, you must maintain a certain level of calmness. Also, you will speak, do so with confidence and project your voice. If you do not understand what the interviewer is asking, just admit it. Rather to admit it and be expose later that you do not know the answer.

hi rigaudon, i hope you are doing well in you interview. i also would say, stay calm, be serious, keep eye contact, don't joking or he won't take you seriously unless he started, being confident is very important because you will pass that feeling to the person sitting in front of you. here is some useful links.

http://www.groovejob.com/resources/interview-tips/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://elevationsonline.com/individuals-in-transition/

good luck.

Hi!@RigaudonInterviews are the opportunity for you to understand what the employer needs and for the employer to understand if you are the right candidate who can perform in the role that they have envisioned.Have a look at the job description that has been posted for the job you are applying to and make sure that you can answer any related questions. For example, if you were applying to a project management positions, you would want to review the different project management tools that you have used in the past and should be able to talk to the interviewer about how you have handled a crisis situation.While appearing calm and composed, you also need to know that there might be thing you do and do not know. Admitting what you do not know shows honesty although you do have to be able to figure stuff out when you do need to know.After you have been interviewed, the interviewer may ask you if you have any questions about the position and the organization that you have applied to. At this point, you could ask something that does not reflect negatively on you. For example, avoid discussing salaries, office timings, or things that you do not like to do - save those for later when the interviewer does make up his or her mind that you are the right candidate to hire for the job. You might also want to contact the interviewer if you have not heard from them because some organizations do start interviewing candidates and then put the hiring process on hold to attend to something of a higher priority. Calling them up or emailing them would remind them of something that they need to deal with.In reference to your question about explaining that "pi" is a "tasty pastry", you probably want to appear to be serious about the position so while that remark might be fun and amusing, you do not want to come across as the easy-going type unless you are applying for a position in the entertainment industry, such as a radio jockey or a television presenter on a music video charts show.

Practice makes perfect. It is hard to do, but the best way to prepare is noted in the mirror and evaluate your facial expressions and your body language. You can find the interview questions as possible here (insert link to interview requests on the bench). Practice and review these questions in your answers in the mirror. Employers are looking for strength and confidence. The best way to prove it is safe use should observe the interviewer straight in the eye. If you can make direct eye contact exude strength. This is very difficult for many people in the beginning, but if it exercised the skill will be a great asset. Find a friend or a relative and a practice the look in the eye.Create a list of your skills & qualificationsAnytime you have a discussion with someone forget to mention things. People get updated in the conversation and even though they may say, "Oh, I would mention this ..." who can forget them. If you have a list will be much easier to include all the information that you feel are important. An interviewer may ask what skills that match up with the job opening, a list will allow you to respond to quickly and confidently.Prepare professional equipmentArrange in advance and make sure you have professional equipment looking for the interview. You may need to buy some items, so if you do buy a few days ahead of time. Make sure you have right shoes, jewelry minimum, the hairpieces well-governed, deodorant, your socks / hose, portfolio / briefcase etc. Have everything you need presented or prepared the night before. Preparing for an interview is nerve-wracking enough. If you wake up and everything is all the waiting will reduce the amount of effort they feel. God forbids you not a shoe or a sock matching, preparing the day before allowing you to be prepared and it reduces stress. In addition to the preparation of your clothes, you have to make sure you have enough gas in your vehicle and that you have paper, pens, business cards and a copy of your resume in your portfolio / briefcase. Again, do this first day and everything you need to do is to attach car will be ready for the following day.Get directions and a programIf you have the address for the interview you can get a program off the Internet. If you use Yahoo or MapQuest programs will get under way-it-away, and the estimated time it will take to arrive (ETA). Play close attention to ETA and consider traffic in your city. You will need to run my schools that can slow down traffic? Are there obstacles to traffic on the way? Give yourself an extra 20 minutes. You have to walk quickly in a few minutes anyway, so leave a little early. If you arrive 15-20 minutes early you can take the time to review your resume, calm nerves, control your hair and make sure you have fresh breath before you walk inside. The extra time is always a benefit.Eat Breakfast / LunchDo not miss a meal before an interview. The nerves often play a part in the interview and your blood sugar falls in the middle of an interview only make things worse. Make sure you eat adequate hydration before and have an interview.If you take the time to prepare for an interview to reduce stress and be more impressive during the interview process.

he was talking about an interview for a school he wants it get in to. not a job ;) also, i saw some really common sense answers so i would like to add one too. i would suggest you bathe before the interview because....well...i think it would be the right thing to do....

Well, I don't know how much difference really there would be in the things you should or shouldn't do in an interview wether it was for a job or to get into a school, but yea, bathing is a real good idea, and on that note, let me add one thing. Don't go to any kind of an interview with the waste of your pants down around below the cheeks of your a$$ and your underwear covering your butt above your pants. I've seen some really dumb fashions come and go but people this one is STUPID!!! Saw some dumb punk walking into K Mart the other day, his plaid boxer shorts completly about his drawers, and the crotch of his pants about his knees. He had to use one hand to keep his pants from falling completely off, if he would of had to let go or run, he'd of broken his dang fool neck tripping on his pants. Dumb Dumb Dumb!!!! Honestly, it does make me look back on the days when the old folks complained about the Hippies tye dyed shirts and big bell bottoms, man, if they could see these goofy kids now they'd really freak out.

A lot of work places have a dress-down culture with employees walking into office in casuals. However, there are still others that require their employees to be dressed to kill. They have their employees look like they work for the Men In Black organization. You can either observe the work place a day before your interview to determine how the other folk dress when they get to work but make sure that you don't observe them on their office casual day and then walk in on a regular day when everyone else is in a suit and tie and you are the only one who isn't. It never hurts to dress conservatively in formal wear and although it does mean a little more effort, for some people that is a huge confidence booster. If the firm you are interviewing at does have a casual dress code, wear anything that you find comfortable but is not too awkward or revealing. If you take a look at yourself in the mirror and do not look like you are part of a street gang, then that's probably what you want to wear to the interview. Sticking out of the norm does make you different in some respects and that does not necessarily mean you are more likely than the next guy to get the job but it does make a good impression and makes you feel good about yourself.

You can either observe the work place a day before your interview to determine how the other folk dress when they get to work but make sure that you don't observe them on their office casual day

Really good advice! You want to fit in naturally in the new prospecive surroundings. So much depends on the way you look at an interview, and it does make a difference for what job it is for. For example here, if somebody came for an interview all dressed up I'd be concerned. I learned a long time ago that those teenage girls that came for an interview with inch long fingernails were never going to stand the strain of kennel cleaning. They are usually too pround of those nails to do any kind of work that could damage them.

Interviews are a kind of battle that are usually conquered by people who are truly confident and not at all scared by this 'I' word.All your preparations regarding interviews ranging from dressing sense to etiquette or how are you carrying yourself will prove to be just vague and worthless if you get too much scared about it.Always try to think like this that joining a prestigious institute for studies or a high profile company for job can be your ultimate goal but life does't end only because a person named so and so has happened to miss an opportunity to get into some institute.Throw away such thoughts and notions from mind as there is always a new beginning after every end.The more you will stick to this very thought that will I be able to cross this brink the more a useless person you would be transforming in.Moreover its said only God knows what is really good for us? Neither we ourselves nor our parents can actually reveal which is good for us.Many a time we see people joining a particular field by fluke. Then they happen to realize with passage of time that they had hidden talents in those fields also.Look at interviews as opportunities rather than as nightmares as if you pass it you will gain access to something you wanted to be in and if not you have to learn from the failure and move on to the next interview that happens to come your way.As life should be a continuous process of learning and not sticking to something and barring the very way of progress.