xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
H.O.D

Ipad Is In Us Stores!

Apple has started selling the iPad in stores across the US. As it has been for all new Apple products, this one had a heavy opening too, with the media publicising the event heavily. But I'm not sure how the general public will like this new gadget. If I'm not wrong, there hasn't been a lot of buzz around this device. There is some excitement, but it doesn't look to be a very promising gadget and although it looks appealing and has a lot of useful features, a netbook could manage to do almost everything that the pad does, at a lower price. I for one, wouldn't buy this in a hurry. What about the rest of you - do you think this is going to be as exciting as the iPhone??

It all comes down to if you have more time than money. I have more money than time but I did camp out for the Wii only because Christmas was drawing near and when it ran out of stock it would take months before another window opened up to get one. iPad seems however to be pretty atuned to the demands right now. My biggest question is whether first if the iPad presales are comparable to the iPhone opening day sales. Secondly if it is comparably good, does this mean that there wont be the price drop that they had speculated on the Charlie Rose show. I think they said to expect a price drop after the first 60 days but if its doing well would they really drop it at all? I would imagine they would want to keep it up until past the holiday season.

the iPad is a useless device that will only appeal to Apple fanboys and trend following sheep.

That is what they said of the iPhone when it first was released. Yet 42.5 millions sold as of 1Q 2010 (wikipedia.com)

Can you use an iPad on an overcrowded train when youre not even sitting down?

Neither can I use my 42 inch flat panel LCD TV in my car. Its not intended for that environment.

Can you fit an iPad into your pocket?

What?! Neither can I put my laptop in my pocket either. But that doesnt make it any less useful to me.

Does an iPad offer anything revolutionary in comparison to a laptop?

Straw man argument. Its not intended to replace your laptop. It is intended to be a supplemental entertainment device. It is not suppose to replace anything.If you dont like the device, then dont buy one. But to call those who choose to purchase one stupid fanboys is uncalled for. What do you care what other people purchase anyways? Are you this opinionated about what choice people make in the cars they purchase? The TVs they buy? The kind of haircut they get? These things say just as much about a person as the type of computer they buy. Yet you and others here seem to delight in focusing on this one decision people have made. Ive been praising on the iPad in almost every article.But Im also not naive enough to think that someone even Google is going to come in and conquer it. Ive played with plenty of iPhones. Theyre a beautiful product. The iPad is likely equally impressive.Im just not that enamoured with tablets in general. Slightly more convenient, slightly less capable, and slightly more expensive. Thats not revolutionary, thats a consumer trade off weve been dealing with for years.

It's great that Apple has finally made a device like the iPad. ;)

That is what they said of the iPhone when it first was released. Yet 42.5 millions sold as of 1Q 2010 (wikipedia.com)

Hehe, so there are many fanboys... :P JK You didn't reply to the argument in quotes. Anyway, the fact is that the iPhone has been marketed heavily, and you know what happens when something is shoved down people's throats... they start buying it. I'm not stating that it is a bad device or anything, just revealing why it's a success. And you have to admit, I don't see anyone at moment going through all the great smartphones today and picking a 700 $ phone over something that's cheaper and has more features. No, they buy it because perhaps they like the way Apple deals with things on their devices or they just haven't looked around to see what the competitors are like. Marketing and branding. A few might really want to buy something that costly just because they could play a lot of games on it. Also I'm sure many bought the device because they wanted to show off their hyped phone to their friends.

Okay, the reason why people are so 'opinionated' is because of normal human nature. If I come along a stupid and pointless video on youtube, I make sure my voice is heard. I don't troll, just tell a few of the flaws of the video in the comment section. People criticize things, get over it.

The reason why people make fun of the ipad and criticize it should be clear. It's marketed as the best tablet on earth while it brings nothing innovative and new to the field of tablets. Look at the features of some real tablets on the market now and then look at the features of the iPad. Then also watch this video. :P Admit, it's funny! And it was made before apple even thought of making tablets ;)

Okay back to the real reasons, archos makes good tablets. iPad isn't useless, unless you look at the price.

You have to pay more for 3G and it doesn't have a USB port.

It doesn't come with a replaceable battery so you can't have a spare one with you when traveling.

It doesn't allow multitasking.

Not a lot of memory compared to the fact that this is an entertainment device.

You have to jailbreak it (aw come on, you know why), just like you have jailbreaked your phone, deadmad7.

No flash. While I hate flash, I also need it. It's too early to ditch flash. First we need a good alternative. HTML5 isn't that ready, and I like using services like GrooveShark and Farmville. Youtube is becoming more HTML5. Apple is saying they are providing the best web experience, and I don't see that as more than a lie. Even my phone has a better "web experience".

Look at the rest by comparing similarly priced tablets with this device.

Conclusion: it doesn't defeat the other tablets, unless we start talking about apps. Well actually, if you buy and archos tablet with Win7 (android models also available) you have a lot of software.

It doesn't replace a smartphone. Obviously lol. And, it doesn't replace a mini-laptop. So, by features, it goes somewhere between a small tablet and a really small internet tablet, like the Nokia N810 or something similar. So the conclusion is that it's a some kind entertainment device with limited features. It's a good device, but the price doesn't match. It's like an iPod touch and they're charging for a bigger screen and e-book reading? I'd have totally thought it was an April fool if the product was announced at that day.

I hope I cleared out the reasons why many of the tech nerds say this is a useless device. It's not, but it's competitors are way better and way cheaper. That is why some products of apple are considered fanboy products. Marketing something heavily results in success, and Apple knows marketing if anything.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Apple has started selling the iPad in stores across the US. As it has been for all new Apple products, this one had a heavy opening too, with the media publicising the event heavily. But I'm not sure how the general public will like this new gadget. If I'm not wrong, there hasn't been a lot of buzz around this device. There is some excitement, but it doesn't look to be a very promising gadget and although it looks appealing and has a lot of useful features, a netbook could manage to do almost everything that the pad does, at a lower price. I for one, wouldn't buy this in a hurry. What about the rest of you - do you think this is going to be as exciting as the iPhone??

One of my colleagues was reading an article in a magazine, and he came across the pricing for the iPad. Apparently, the iPad costs something around 500 USD, right? Anyhow, the article mentioned that, with all the combined features required to make the device function, you will spend not $500, but $800-$1000 to make it function properly. Can anyone back this up, or is this a load of BS?

So far, what I have seen if still picture from the internet. I am still waiting for it to come to shore. Wonder if it will take the world by storm like what iphone had done.