xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Why Creating New Data Base When Transferring To New Domain?

hi, i am now working on transferring my website from sub domain to top level domain. as i was following the steps that i found in tutorials on how to do that, one of these steps is to create new data base in my cpanal ( i did that in my cpanal because i bought the domain from xisto that means the same server for hosting). now, this question pass in my mind, why should i create a new data base and import data that i exported form my old data base to it and change config.php file. while i already have a new data base created when i installed wordpress in new domain?why can't i import my old data base to the data base that have been created with the installation of wordpress. this way i don't have to change config.php file. share me what do you think please?

Yes me too I'd have said that you don't need to create a new databaseEven if it wasn't on the same hosting, I don't see why you should do it, you can still access to it.Maybe it's if you want a clean new start but in your case I don't think you have to do itmaybe I'm wrong, so please someone tell me

I didn't understand the question correctly. But let me see what i have managed to understand so far. config.php needs to be edited no matter you import your data or not. You have to edit that file for pointing your database and username for wordpress installation and further working and connection with the database. i'm not sure what you mean here by why not keep old database. i think most of time you benefit by creating new database as many data entries related to old database are not needed at all. when you export your database you've option in wordperss on what to export and what not to. so that way you can export your old database files anyway so there is no need for old database as we change host in that case we lose database when we cancel hosting. in your case of transfering data from subdomain to newdomain i doubt there is any need for creating new database, i think it's just suggested by wordpress team in order to avoid some issues they might have faced which we are not aware of, i'll ask this on wordpress forums to see what they reply.

I didn't understand the question correctly. But let me see what i have managed to understand so far. config.php needs to be edited no matter you import your data or not. You have to edit that file for pointing your database and username for wordpress installation and further working and connection with the database.
i'm not sure what you mean here by why not keep old database. i think most of time you benefit by creating new database as many data entries related to old database are not needed at all. when you export your database you've option in wordperss on what to export and what not to. so that way you can export your old database files anyway so there is no need for old database as we change host in that case we lose database when we cancel hosting. in your case of transfering data from subdomain to newdomain i doubt there is any need for creating new database, i think it's just suggested by wordpress team in order to avoid some issues they might have faced which we are not aware of, i'll ask this on wordpress forums to see what they reply.

thank you mahesh2k, you are helping me a lot. i bothered you so much with my questions till now, you were a great help. about my question here, in the tutorials you gave me. i noticed that they said that i should create a new data base and make my config.php file refer to that data base. it's ok, but when i installed wordpress in my new domain location, i found that i already have a data base created during wordpress installation and configured in config.php file, so i just imported data to the data base that created with wordpress installation. i did create a new data base but i left it blank and not use it. therefor, i decided to ask this question, why should i create a new data base while i already have a one?
i hope i make myself clear. thank you a lot.

as you're using the same mysql database from cpanel for all your sites so that this obvious that you've database to work with already. all you've to do is point it out for new installation . By the way do you managed to transfer your subdomain site to new domain ?

as you're using the same mysql database from cpanel for all your sites so that this obvious that you've database to work with already. all you've to do is point it out for new installation . By the way do you managed to transfer your subdomain site to new domain ?

not completely yet, i am stuck now in links problem, i want to fix it first to make sure that everything works alright then i will delete my old wordpress files from the subdomain, i will make sure to tell you when i finish it.
another thing, i don't use the same data base i mean my old data base, i use the new one that is generated when i installed wordpress in my new domain. any way, i feel that something goes wrong since i can't make my links work properly and my my old data has been added to wordpress as subscriber not administrator, maybe i will repeat the steps of transferring again and see what will happen.