xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Permanently naming an external hard disk drive Problem With My External Hard Disk

Permanently naming an external hard disk driveProblem With My External Hard Disk

Hi,

I have a Transcend 100 GB external hard disk drive. Everytime I plug it in, it chooses its own drive as either F:, G: or H: This affects the syncing between my music stored on it and iTunes. Once the drive changes, I have to reinsert all the music into iTunes

Is there any way that I can permanently assign a drive to the disk??? Please help

Thank you

Apurva

-question by Apurva Shah

You can try this. You didn't specify the operating system of your computer though. Here's how to do it in Windows XP: 1. Connect your USB HDD to the computer. 2. Right-click on MY COMPUTER > Select MANAGE. 3. Expand the STORAGE > Select DISK MANAGEMENT.4. Look for the entry of your USB Drive. 5. Right click on it > Select CHANGE DRIVE LETTERS AND PATHS.6. Click ADD > Select MOUNT IN THE FOLLOWING NFTS FOLDER. (Browse to the directory where you want to mount the drive. If you don't have a directory, make on.)7. Once completed, remove the Drive Letter which is automatically assigned to the USB Drive. > Click OK. Hope this works for you.

It is pretty much the same set up with Vista and Windows 7 as well but I am not sure how it is done on Linux OS's.