xisto Community
Tramposch

Synergy+ By Google

I was surfing /g/ and i happened to see this..
http://code.google.com/hosting/moved?project=synergy-plus

I am now... in awe, I have been looking for something of this sort for an extended period of time!

Has any body used it? I have yet to install it and test it out, just wanted some opinions ahead of time.

Well i know how to do it with things called KVM switch, but i have never seen network based software instead of a KVM switch used. I needed a KVM switch recently, but i decided not to buy one, and then I find this! perfect, I'll be sure to try it out pretty soon. My only worries is lag.. But we shall see how it goes.I will post back on my endeavors.

I don't know, I'm not sure I'ld really have the use of it...Maybe if I need to use an app on another OS and I'm too lazy to start a virtual machine or move to the next computer...but it definitely looks cool :angel: by the way , I don't think it's a google project, it's just host on their google code platform

My Granddad uses this program and thinks it's really worth the while. It's a nice alternative to switching between mice...keep in mind that this is not a replacement for remote desktop software...it does not bring the screen to your current screen, but simply the mouse. It's a nifty program though if you want dual/quad/etc monitor support but don't have the hardware or resources to run it (the other nice thing is that you're actually running it on separate machines, which means that you don't have just one computer that can lock up the monitors at one time).I am yet to find a need for it with just one PC currently, but I have no doubt I could be using it in the near future.

Ah so you can't see the monitor of the computer u switch with? you just can use the keyboard and mouse for it? interesting. Luckily my screens have two inputs on each one, so i can just run it up to that, and use that.Thanks for letting me know of that, definitely a surprise, but helpful.

yes that's why I don't really see the use. It's just controlling another computer (next to you, otherwise there is no use) without having to change mouse and keyboard.The cut and past function is useful maybe but that's it

cool! when i am bored, i usually boot up both my computers and access my two yahoo accounts and talk to myself. now i don't have to clutter my desk with two keyboards and mice to i.m. myself.i really don't see a practical purpose for an every day user.jonny, what does your grandfather do?

Actually, guys, this program is still very useful. Here's the scenario: You own two PCs at home (for argument's sake, one desktop and one laptop). Instead of wasting a lot of bandwidth over your network, thus slowing your connection speed down, you can operate two PCs with little bandwidth.Why do you want this program? Because if you've got your two PCs side-by-side anyways, you may as well make it easier to sync between them. Also, I don't remember exactly, but I think it'll sync the clipboard and allow drag and drop of files between them.And unlike a remote desktop program, you can set up as many PCs/monitors as you please (you configure the monitor positions in the settings). Say you now have three computers (two desktops, one laptop), each with two monitors. You can set them up in a 2 x 3 grid so that you can move from one monitor to another, regardless of the PC.Anyways...just trying to make it sound a bit better than what my first reply may have alluded to.