xisto Community
-Sky-

Sky's Amd Athlon X2 Processor (2 Cpus)

Hey guys.Tonight I purchased an AMD Athlon X2 Processor (Dual Core) from my local shop. It's socket AM3, but is compatible with AM2 and 939 (so it shows in the installation manual). Anyways, it comes with a brand-new heatsink with Thermal Compound already conducted under it. :P (but I sort of slightly dipped my finger in the paste. :D)I am going to be installing it in 10 minutes, so if any advice you'd like ot give me, please do NOT hesitate to express your opinions.Pictures are attached also. :angel:

post-67096-1267468589_thumb.jpg

post-67096-1267468604_thumb.jpg

Sticking your finger in the thermal paste was a bad idea :angel: Any dirt or grime from your finger would then be in the thermal paste layer between the CPU and cooler. That reduces the effectiveness of the thermal paste, which means your CPU could run slightly warmer than usual. While the effect is likely to be very slight, I'd still have cleaned off the thermal paste and started again (but that might just be because I like the smell of ArctiClean :P ).On a random side note, is that a Leicester College NUS card on your desk :D Nice to see there are other students on Xisto!

Sticking your finger in the thermal paste was a bad idea :o Any dirt or grime from your finger would then be in the thermal paste layer between the CPU and cooler. That reduces the effectiveness of the thermal paste, which means your CPU could run slightly warmer than usual. While the effect is likely to be very slight, I'd still have cleaned off the thermal paste and started again (but that might just be because I like the smell of ArctiClean :( ).

I don't even have any GP to do the processor with, so I need to be cautious for ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). :D

On a random side note, is that a Leicester College NUS card on your desk :P Nice to see there are other students on Xisto!

Yes it is. :D I am a student of Leicester College. I am in the (COMP - Computing) area. Do you attend there too?

@ Any member here at Xisto who goes to Leicester College, come meet me at College on the ground floor, sit down on the chairs. :( start/get to College at 9:00 GMT. I'll see ya! :angel:

More pictures upcoming once I've installed this processor. Now I need to sit in the chip into the socket. Did you know the AMD X2 chip is the same size as the Socket 939?! :D Just fking AWESOME! :P

Edited by -Sky- (see edit history)

Although by the time anyone provides any advice you may have already installed the thing, here is some advice anyway: Put on your wish list an AM3 motherboard (even if it is a micro ATX one). Aside from perhaps any extra megahertz gained from this new processor, the most you will likely be able to get anything else from it would be perhaps that it uses less energy than the other one did.And although i don't recall hearing about AM2 motherboards being able to support AM3 processors, if it is the case for you, you may or may not require a BIOS update. In this case you'll have to retain the AM2 processor (since the computer won't boot with the AM3 processor) and update the BIOS with the AM2 processor (or 939 processor, whatever it is you are replacing—i can't remember what you had).

I'm getting a new motherboard anyway, so I'm not really that fussed if it doesnt fit in my 939 socket. Apparently (according to CoreTemp) my CPUs temperature now exceeds 30'C. It never used to go over 40'C at all before it was cleaned. It took me overall 4 hours to completely clean my whole system. :D .....and I sort of had some misunderstandings and some slight "issues" with my CPU. :angel:On the College note: I always come into college (Leicester College) on Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays from 9:00. I always wear my green hoody so you'll know who I am. :P

Hey guys.
Tonight I purchased an AMD Athlon X2 Processor (Dual Core) from my local shop. It's socket AM3, but is compatible with AM2 and 939 (so it shows in the installation manual). Anyways, it comes with a brand-new heatsink with Thermal Compound already conducted under it. :P (but I sort of slightly dipped my finger in the paste. :D)

I am going to be installing it in 10 minutes, so if any advice you'd like ot give me, please do NOT hesitate to express your opinions.

Pictures are attached also. :angel:

Well first I would upgrade your motherboard as well your PC is rather old and doesn't seem very future proof. It seems you are wasting more money upgrading you could be saving money by buying a whole new PC this would also make it very future proof. Dipping your finger in the thermal paste is not the best of things to do dirt etc could stop a good exchange of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.

Good luck and don't eat the thermal paste or drop the CPU.