xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Suggestion For Introducing A New Feature In Trap17: Text-to-speech and i am very sure none other forum has this

Hello every one. I am sure every one here who reads this topic are members of not just Xisto but many other forums available today. Either there may be people who jump from forum to forum or they just remain active in multiple forums. After having a look at so many forums i personally feel that Xisto is unique in its own way. When i say unique in its own way, two things may strike each one of us. One, it has an excellent team of mods and a stable admin ( at times these mods are strict too i know :( ) who keep spammers away and who make every user understand how to use a forum and what are the benifits out of it. In short they help to make some one "get it right" what a forum is and how it works. At time in the initial stages some people (like me) learn it only after getting multiple warnings :) .The second thing that is highly noticed and commended about Xisto is the reward that they offer for its members. Though this is there in some other forums in various forms, here the My Cents provided is with a difference. The difference is that they are not much hard to earn nor they are easy too. The things that can be done with these MyCents are really commendable. For all computer Geeks who wanna have a hosting account, Private domain, static IP address etc. i would say XISTO is the best place. Its not because it is linked with Xisto but on the other hand XISTO my itself is one the best hosting provider . I really admire customer support team of XISTO. This is the state of XistoNow, having such a good reputation, why cant Xisto go for something else which no other forum has(as far as my knowledge is concerned). If it has something totally different than other forums then it can add a tag to its name "A forum with a difference". What ever may be, talking practically what can be the difference that Xisto can make. I have a suggestion / proposal for trap 17( Hopefully if this is a kind of new Xisto can try implementing and can go for patenting this suggestion so that none other forums copy this new feature : And if so i guess the mod once he reads this has to lock the below contents till Xisto implements it because some other forum may implement it before)In my recent topic replies i had read complaints and many often I and we must have felt that the explanation of the topic is too big to read. I cannot categorize this as laziness. But one the other hand in my previous Topics some had arguments saying if the explanation is not that big how can one express his ideas ?Now there need to be a solution for this. Xisto can be the Solution maker for this problem and i am very sure Xisto has enough technical Geeks who cam accomplish the suggestion which i am gonna make.Lets consider a topic which some one is very much interested in. But on the other hand if he opens the topic the post is too long and probably the person though he is interested in the topic he dont want to read the post because it is lengthy. So he closes and leaves. The Suggestion : Now just think what if Xisto introduces a new feature "Read this Post for me" , let me say that there is an extra speaker symboled button for each post. I can compare it with the online pronunciation dictionaries. They have a word and a speaker symbol near that. If you press it the word is read for you. Similarly why not Xisto introduce some Text-to-speech feature and embed that in this forum. So that for each post that feature is available and one can just press that button " Read this post for me" and he hears it read out in his speaker. And in this case he gets what he wants. The Posts can not only be read but can also be heard. As far as my knowledge is considered no other forum has this feature in it. If Xisto introduces this i am very sure many will copy it, so Xisto can very well patent* that particular feature for forums [*Hopefully it gives me a share :):D ~ Indian Brains]But just imagine Xisto with this additional feature, it can really boast about itself then !! It will Rock on !! Best of Luck Xisto. And if this feature is already there in some forum ( im kinda sure it is not ) then why not Xisto introduce it in its forums.

well, at first, when i was reading your post, i really needed this feature becaue i was saying, "oh know....get to the point". well you finally did give your suggestion 3/4 of the way down. you know what? i live the idea around your suggestion. i have been saying recently that trap will have to go through some transformations soon if they want to keep up with the times and be successfull in the future since i have seen many sites fall and whither away because they had no innovation and thought their users were loyal.

so i like it. i like adding audio to a forum. ajax. and even somehow impliment video posting. all these features are being implimented on websites with GREAT success. i don't like to much posting my suggestions in trap forums. good ones usually need to be made privately so nobody steals good ideas. but since you posted slightly on this topic, i thought i would give some general suggestions too

at first, i didn't think it was going to be a good suggestion, but i give your suggestion a 2 thumbs up. at least for the idea that can be modified specifically for traps needs and promotion.

The Suggestion :
Now just think what if Xisto introduces a new feature "Read this Post for me" , let me say that there is an extra speaker symboled button for each post. I can compare it with the online pronunciation dictionaries. They have a word and a speaker symbol near that. If you press it the word is read for you. Similarly why not Xisto introduce some Text-to-speech feature and embed that in this forum. So that for each post that feature is available and one can just press that button " Read this post for me" and he hears it read out in his speaker. And in this case he gets what he wants. The Posts can not only be read but can also be heard. As far as my knowledge is considered no other forum has this feature in it. If Xisto introduces this i am very sure many will copy it, so Xisto can very well patent* that particular feature for forums [*Hopefully it gives me a share :D:) ~ Indian Brains]

But just imagine Xisto with this additional feature, it can really boast about itself then !! It will Rock on !! Best of Luck Xisto. And if this feature is already there in some forum ( im kinda sure it is not ) then why not Xisto introduce it in its forums.

@ anwii

well, at first, when i was reading your post, i really needed this feature

lol, and yeah i get it i should have thrown the point at first and then the explaination :D what ever thanks for your recognition. If this feature of Text-To-Speech for all posts are introduced in Xisto i find it will be really good but with one disadvantage. That is there is a possibility that Xisto members will go lazy :) after pressing the play button of every post .. he he he ..

Definitely sounds like something that would improve the quality of these forums, though whether it would simply be an un-used novelty would remain to be seen. Sure, if it was introduced I'd try it out and whether I continued to use it would probably depend on how good it was!

This may be better left for browsers or operating systems rather than a forum. Some browsers have already implemented a text-to-speech feature (e.g. Opera)—though it may be a feature of the operating system itself. Also, Windows Vista and Windows 7 most likely have their own text-to-speech feature which reads practically everything. Nice idea, but i don't think it is something forum developers should take the time to make.

@nirmaldaniel: yaa right, just a week back I put the chat feature to enable everyone to chat with anyone online and I was blasted here. I barely felt anyone was taking any effort to put down some constructive criticisms. Comments like ugly, intrusive, useless etc. were posted on the forum. I am slowly learning about what my members want.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

@truefusion: You are right, If anyone prefers text-to-speech rather than reading, then I m darned sure they have a little icon flashing in their taskbar which is waiting to read any text that the user selects. The software used by the user will have the voice tone and the reading speed configured which is important to understand lengthy text read by txt-2-speech engines.

I don't expect this on forum. But why not get add-on for firefox or chrome/opera whatever browser you use. That way you can read forum post of selected texrt portion. I know there are some plugins for wordpress and joomla that allows conversion of blog posts to speech content. So if you want similar feature get it on browser or operating system. This will help for reading forums and sites other than Xisto.

@ OpaQue

yaa right, just a week back I put the chat feature to enable everyone to chat with anyone online and I was blasted here.

okay, but i guess no one can blast you really :( Whatsoever, then i guess this suggestion is to be dropped :D Let me think of some others. But i personally feel if it does not require much technical effort for the Coding Geeks of Xisto then it can be given a try.

You are right, If anyone prefers text-to-speech rather than reading, then I m damn sure they have a little icon flashing in their taskbar which is waiting to read any text that the user selects

ya you are right, but let me put it like, when we type some thing in the forum, let it be reply or fast reply or we starting a new topic, when we type.. automatically the editor is configured with spell check and the wrong spellings are displayed. So here too if some one wants a spell check for the content he types,very well he can open Word and paste his contents there and can check for the spelling mistakes including grammatical mistakes. But still for the ease of the forum members its added into forums as an additional feature, like wise there may be a little icon flashing in their taskbar which is waiting to read any text that the user selects, but still if it is added to a forum then it is an additional feature :)

I don't really like text to speech, to be honest.It's only because.. they haven't exactly perfected 'microsoft sams' voice.It sounds kind of odd, and stuff.I think this would be a good idea for other reasons, but I don't really have a good idea about it, because I am really fond of reading and I like to just get to the point, and not laugh if the computer voice makes up something funny instead of saying a word, it sounds kind of funny.Also a lot more spammers will be spamming, and that's kind of annoying to know there's spammers, and more exploits out, and vulnerables.I think this way is the best way :)

For me personally there is no need for a text-to speech feature on the forum, because I think that it's much faster to read than to listen to somekind of a voice, it's only good to blind people I guess or something like that, but in general they will be using accessibility features their OS gives them.Voice and Video on the Internet takes quite a lot of bandwidth :)