xisto Community
Jonnyabc

Readme And Other Documentation Seems Undescriptive Getting a little irritated and worried...help please

RESPECTFULLY, here's the deal: you're documentation on the Readme and TOS is terrible (also, have you checked the links out recently, such as the "Topics You Should Never Make"?). I'm not a simpleton, nor am I an English teacher nor a lawyer, but this is completely unintelligible reading. Yeah, I know, I'm only one person with a level 1 rank, so what can I do to persuade you? I'm worried someone's going to flag me for doing something I'm not supposed to do (or what they think I'm not supposed to do), but who's to say I'm actually in the wrong? I'm trying to be an upstanding individual on this forum, so please bear with me.

Questions:

Does my post have to be original to Xisto? I wrote some articles that are on my personal website that I would like to use on Xisto (and I would be citing nothing in the published articles about the website that would be considered promotional). Will this count against me? And at the same time, are we also verifying that I cannot export what I write on Xisto to the internet? If you follow what your own rules say, since I am the author I own the copyright to the materials until 50 years after my death, so I should be able to copy it wherever, whether through text or by mouth, so long as I am not using it in any criminal conduct by law (or by the rules of Xisto, which I do not see prohibits my freedom).

In the "moderated" areas of the forum, does this mean that I must wait for approval before my post can be made public, or are they "moderated" as time passes? And does this include future edits? I ask because I don't want to wind up double posting by accident.

My signature contains a link and an image (both of which are my own creation). Is this wrong? I know the rules stated that we cannot use "resume signatures", but please elaborate. I notice none of the admins or moderators shy away from including websites, images and other links in their signatures. Obviously, I am not including my "real" name, or any other contact information (aside from what might be found through the link(s)).

Speaking of signatures and links, I'm not sure what is considered to be advertisement. Obviously promoting your (or another company's) website by using obvious means of click here's to get people to visit their site is against the rules. I also just read about referrals. How does that fit into the picture when we are giving a link to an outside source for informational purposes? Who makes that decision, the moderators?

Since we're on the topic of moderators, is there a place to make an appeal if the need should ever arise, either to that moderator or another? Here in the Questions and Queries is the closest I can guess? It states that admins and moderators have final say, but there could be times when they are in the wrong (whether intentionally or not).

What is this about inactivity? It says I have to log in once every week and post once every other week?

Relating to the last question, if my account is finally banned or inactivated in the end, what happens to my host account? Especially if I've paid for it with real money! Surely you won't close the account, and how will I regain my domain name, if I have to transfer it from another service?

That should be enough questions to ask...like I said, I read the documentation, but it's worded poorly in my book. Don't waste my time to waste yours if there's a fair chance of getting banned (which seems likely when you don't make it easy enough to understand the rules).

those are all very good questions. the readme though isn't worded poorly. it's worded just fine. some of it however is vague and i can understand why people can get confused at times. i am not going to answer your question even though i do have a basic idea. i will let a mod or admin answer so there isn't any discrepency in how i translate it. i will say this. i've seen your posts. they are pretty good quality. what is not allowed is copying and pasting from other websites. this includes your own(unless you put the copied content within' the quote tags). you are however allowed to copy and past from trap 17 to your own website as long as you give credit to the author. so that's the trick around that one since we have a creative commons license that can be found at the bottom of each webpage here. just use common sense. links are ok. if you want to talk about your website, you can talk about it in the website discussion or review section. if you want to let people in on information on your website, post in an appropriate section, give a quick review of the post and include a link so people can go there if they are interested. don't just be posting your links everywhere where it just looks unprofessional because that could be considered spamming. again.....just use common sense for now. put up your sig the way you would like it. if there is a problem with it, i am sure a mod or an admin will give a warning and all you have to do is change it a little. if you are in conflict with a mods decision, then, it best to discuss it with the mod. i know from experience that admins trust the mods and will support any mods decisions even if it seems like a wrong decision and you have a good arguement. the important thing to remember is that there are rules for a reason. even if they aren't stated clearly in the readme or elsewhere. i got banned once and whined like a little girl to the admin and didn't get anywhere. it was upsetting. i think the best way to handle those situations is just roll with the punches. trap is a GREAT place in my opinion if if i have had altercations in the past. i just love this place.i hope you get your questions answered soon. but dude, i wouldn't sweat it so much. yea, things are confusing. just use common sense and respect others and you will be a pretty cool member here because i think you can add something here that is needed. good quality posts...which evidently earns more mycents that get converted to creditsi wish ya luck here....:)... you don't really need luck. you DO seem like a cool memeber though so hope to see ya around!

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Yeah, I know, I'm only one person with a level 1 rank, so what can I do to persuade you? I'm worried someone's going to flag me for doing something I'm not supposed to do (or what they think I'm not supposed to do), but who's to say I'm actually in the wrong? I'm trying to be an upstanding individual on this forum, so please bear with me.

Members who have been here a while tend to learn the rules and know them, so to get input and feedback on the readmes and stuff, newer members' opinions are vital. Trying to be an upstanding member and just treat the forums with respect is pretty much the basis of the rules. If you do make a mistake, generally a staff member will put it right and leave a note on your post telling you what they've done. You must remember that we're all an unpredictable bunch :D It would be impossible to write rules that cover every possible thing a member could post, and that would be an incredibly off-putting list to new members. The basic rules, such as no blatant advertising or referral links, cover most of the posts that we deal with. Being respectful to other members, including the work OpaQue and Buffalo put into running the forums, covers the rest pretty much.

Does my post have to be original to Xisto? I wrote some articles that are on my personal website that I would like to use on Xisto (and I would be citing nothing in the published articles about the website that would be considered promotional). Will this count against me? And at the same time, are we also verifying that I cannot export what I write on Xisto to the internet? If you follow what your own rules say, since I am the author I own the copyright to the materials until 50 years after my death, so I should be able to copy it wherever, whether through text or by mouth, so long as I am not using it in any criminal conduct by law (or by the rules of Xisto, which I do not see prohibits my freedom).

Due to the myCENTs system you cannot copy material from anywhere else onto Xisto. This includes from websites, books, magazines, etc. even if you are the original author. If you wish to repost things from elsewhere, you can put Quote BBTags around it, which shows it's from an outside source.

As all content on Xisto is now released under a CC-BYNCND licence unless otherwise stated, you are allowed to use content from Xisto as long as you cite the source, don't pass it off as your own, don't use it commercially, don't make derivatives, etc. The Creative Commons website has the full legal text along with helpful summaries of what is and isn't allowed, which can be accessed by clicking the grey Creative Commons logo at the bottom of every page.

In the "moderated" areas of the forum, does this mean that I must wait for approval before my post can be made public, or are they "moderated" as time passes? And does this include future edits? I ask because I don't want to wind up double posting by accident.

Posts in moderated sections are hidden from public view until a moderator reads them, checks they're OK and approves them. This is the process in forums that have suffered high levels of spam, just so most members don't have to see all that spam as it gets posted. Just submit your topic once and it will appear once we get round to it. If you do submit the topic twice by accident it's no problem - we just get rid of the duplicates.

My signature contains a link and an image (both of which are my own creation). Is this wrong? I know the rules stated that we cannot use "resume signatures", but please elaborate. I notice none of the admins or moderators shy away from including websites, images and other links in their signatures. Obviously, I am not including my "real" name, or any other contact information (aside from what might be found through the link(s)).

From what I can see your signature is absolutely fine. Don't go for anything too offensive, personal details or commercial advertising and you're generally fine. Large images are also generally a bad idea, as they can screw up the forum layout and are also a pain for those members using dial-up connections.

Speaking of signatures and links, I'm not sure what is considered to be advertisement. Obviously promoting your (or another company's) website by using obvious means of click here's to get people to visit their site is against the rules. I also just read about referrals. How does that fit into the picture when we are giving a link to an outside source for informational purposes? Who makes that decision, the moderators?

Posting links in a proper context is fine, such as recommending a product, asking for site reviews, showing examples, things like that. Where a link would help, whether it be to a personal or commercial site, use it - that's how the web works! Advertising covers people making posts such as those selling mobile phones (seems to come up quite a lot) or software, for example, often from members with no other posts. You'll see a few around the forums as they appear if you beat us to reading them :) They're not allowed because there is no way for us to check the validity or even legality of the claims made, and they add nothing to the forums.

Referral links are links to sites that offer you money in return for people clicking your link or buying something after clicking your link. They often have a format such as http://www.example.com/?r=582a54c32 where the code is used to uniquely identify someone and pay them in return for sending visitors to the site. They're not allowed, and generic links should be used instead to these sites. Take a look at topics in the "Making Money" forums for examples.

Since we're on the topic of moderators, is there a place to make an appeal if the need should ever arise, either to that moderator or another? Here in the Questions and Queries is the closest I can guess? It states that admins and moderators have final say, but there could be times when they are in the wrong (whether intentionally or not).

Everyone makes mistakes, so if you feel you've been unfairly treated, send a PM to the moderator concerned and ask them why they've done whatever it is. Sending PMs to other moderators and the admins is also possible, just bear in mind they might not know every detail of what has gone on.

What is this about inactivity? It says I have to log in once every week and post once every other week?

As far as I'm aware that is a hangover from an old system which was used before the myCENTs system, although OpaQue and BuffaloHelp should be able to offer clearer information. I am not aware of anyone losing their account through inactivity like that, so I shouldn't worry.

Relating to the last question, if my account is finally banned or inactivated in the end, what happens to my host account? Especially if I've paid for it with real money! Surely you won't close the account, and how will I regain my domain name, if I have to transfer it from another service?

Your hosting account and forum account are now separate, so that if you get banned on the forums that shouldn't affect your hosting (as far as I know). Domain names purchased via Xisto are the same as any other, whether you use real money, myCENTs or a combination of them to pay the invoice, so the standard procedures for transferring domains between registrars apply.

no problem. i was thinking the way you are now a few years ago. especially when my account got suspended for copying content from other website without using the quote tags i really read all the rules backwords and forwards and it IS very vague in some parts. like rvalkass said though, it's impossible to include every situation so some of it is just learn as you go and it's not really as strict as it sounds either. most of it is just common sense.

i am curious though about a suspension or banned account. i hope an admin can respond about that. i am sure if you pay with your own money at Xisto - Web Hosting, that account wont be affected if someone was ever banned or suspended privlidges from Xisto. BUT! i am still wondering what would happen to someones account at xisto or Xisto - Web Hosting if that account was paid for through mycents on trap if their trap account was suspended or banned. what would happen to their website and domain, and what would happen to the credits collected where the mycents were already converted. i knopw xisto has a policy of what you can't host and a site being taken down for breach of hosting terms. my question is directly related to trap and a suspension or ban.

opaque? buffalohelp? or even a moderator who knows the policy without doubt?

Thanks so much...both of you! I'd did't mean to sound rude or accusing, it just irritates me how "vague" and how many "hangovers" there are on Xisto.

This forum is used by large range of age group(s). Therefore, the Xisto Readme was made in outline, listing style. And to make short and visual cue some wordings were placed as they appear. While not perfect, they imply key notes of the topic you're about to read by following the link.Banned accounts refer to break in TOS and AUP as well as in the forum. Since this forum is for Xisto hosting members if your account is banned or suspended you cannot earn myCENT (then, hosting credits). This results in losing your hosting account when the time for next invoice or payment. If your Xisto hosting account is suspended only Xisto - Web Hosting support can unsuspend your account. This is not due to lack of myCENT or not paying your invoice but simply due to breaking TOS and AUP.If your Xisto - Web Hosting account is suspended or banned this has nothing to do with Xisto, except Xisto forum handles certain parts of Xisto - Web Hosting Questions and Answers. This is because Xisto is very busy and there are good chances that some members of Xisto can answer quickly before Xisto - Web Hosting support team can.A simpler way to see it is if your account is myCENT dependent your activity in Xisto forum matters. If your forum account is suspended or banned, you will not earn myCENT from that point. And since your email is used to synchronize myCENT with Xisto - Support.com/billing, only one account can utilize myCENT earning. And you're suspended or banned from using your forum account, you cannot change your forum registered email address and thus myCENT is no longer useful to anyone. You can continue to pay for your hosting using your fund(s). But not with myCENT.Anything else would be as if you are in Xisto forum as just a member of forum community.Inactivity:From time to time I have closed down inactive account(s). This is to prevent hijacking accounts. Under the ACP (administrator control panel) there are reports of old account being "failed to login, attempts 100 times" are shown from time to time. And some of these accounts are members who had 200+ posts--which we consider at one time very active member. To prevent further abuse I close them down but not delete them. Deleting an account leaves holes in topics which this member have contributed.Here is the reason for leaving some rules open to interpretation:Administrators choose moderators who show good judgments. This does not necessary mean they follow the opinions of administrators down to the T. Everyone thinks differently. And moderators show different rulings in their own ways. While admins set some general rules we also set some strict, specific rules. And it is up to each moderator to perceive those rules according to how they see the issue and situation. This is why selecting moderators are tough.If we have to specify every conceivable and inconceivable situation and list them all, everyone would be subject to some illegal action at some point. And where is the fun when "rules" tie this forum down? And so we set some general guidelines to avoid stifling with board rules. We also set some specific rules to discourage reoccurring bad habits by members. Anything in between are open to discussion.