xisto Community
Semsem

Zend Framework and how to request it...

Would the $1.95 per month bit be able to have Zend Framwork installed on it? And if so, how would one do that?

Yes, you can install Zend Framework on the $1.95 hosting (I have it running here). Installing it is as simple as following the instructions from Zend - upload the framework and point your website's configuration to the Zend installation so it knows where to look for the functions.

Yes, you can install Zend Framework on the $1.95 hosting (I have it running here). Installing it is as simple as following the instructions from Zend - upload the framework and point your website's configuration to the Zend installation so it knows where to look for the functions.

Well, I feel stupid...how do I point the websites configuration to the Zend installation?

The Zend Framework documentation contains helpful tips and suggestions, but it all depends on exactly what directory structure you're using and how you're using the framework. You should just make sure that the path to the Zend libraries is included in the Zend Framework's list of paths to search. For example the recommended location for the Zend Framework to be uploaded is ~/php/Zend. Then, in your index.php file, include that path in your include paths to search. For example, one of my sites uses the following:

set_include_path('library' . PATH_SEPARATOR . '/home/<username>/php' . PATH_SEPARATOR . 'application/models' . PATH_SEPARATOR . get_include_path());

Obviously replacing <username> with the username for your hosting account.

What I start out with...

set_include_path('library' . PATH_SEPARATOR . '/home/semsemx/php/'. PATH_SEPARATOR . 'application/models' . PATH_SEPARATOR . get_include_path());require_once 'Zend/Rest/Client.php';
And, this is what I get:

Warning: require_once(Zend/Rest/Client.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/semsemx/public_html/index.php on line 4

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'Zend/Rest/Client.php' (include_path='library:/home/semsemx/php/:application/models:.:/usr/lib/http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;) in /home/semsemx/public_html/index.php on line 4

(http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

Any thoughts as to what I did wrong?

Seems like you haven't actually uploaded the Zend Framework into the correct place. Make sure it's there and you have the correct permissions to read it. Also, it is often better to put

require 'Zend/Loader.php';

instead, which will load files as and when it needs them.