xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mra550

Bible Fact Fact or belief?

Cutting of one?s beard or hair was a common sign of mourning. Self-mutilation was also a sign of mourning in some culture/religious groups of the time. Tattooing was believed by pagans to protect the person against demons or evil spirits. It was also used to signify belonging to a certain social class, cult, or religion.Fact or belief?

I think that the only serious way you can go about analysing the bible is as an allegory or anecdote. It is simply a guiding message, cultural relevant at its time of writing, culture is forever changing however and we must reassess. Thus I think a belief in the bible does not necessarily represent a belief in every thing the bible says. But what do I am an atheist, which I find quite unfulfilling and I am considering converting to Islam.

Atheist as well but I think I heard somewhere that its not a fact of is what the Bible says true or not true. But actually the Bible is just stories that have messages that some people follow. Since I don't believe in magic and other silly stuff. Also I don't believe any of that. I cut my hair because I don't want to look like a hippie. So many kids in my school have girl hair and it seems that a lot of older people ( Like grandparents old ) mistake them for girls. :) I think tattooing is just ones way to express him or herself.

Edited by Zagubadu? (see edit history)

Fact or belief?

What are we questioning here exactly? Whether or not people shave their heads, damage their skin, or tattoo themselves? What you mentioned isn't wholly specific to the Bible. I'd change the topic title, but i am not sure of what the topic is really about. Could you clarify?

Tattooing was believed by pagans to protect the person against demons or evil spirits.

Have you got a source for this? It's something i had no idea about and i'd be interested in checking it up.

Like anything that is really old the bible is based very much onsuperstition and lack of scientific knowledge. It's not likeJesus or God wrote it. It was written by mere mortals. Yes, it's a goodbook to read if you read it between the lines.I think they could of gone just a little bit easier on the doom and gloomthough.

Have you got a source for this? It's something i had no idea about and i'd be interested in checking it up.

Not really sure if this is supposed to be a thread on Bible facts, but tatoo-ing is spoken against in I think Exodus.