xisto Community
ahmed_mmahmoud

Strange But True

In windows no one can creat or rename a folder with "con" i don't know why because it is strange but true and you can try it in you desktop right away,the surprise i have makes me writing this topic in case there is one can tell me the reason.or it is a bug in windows, i'm using windows xp if some one use else please try it and feed us back.and please don't forget you all to try make a file with this name "con" cause this matter happen to the folders and the files too , and i hope some one using linux to try it .

Yup, nothing strange there. Certain characters and names are reserved for use by the windows system, it's why you cant put a slash in a filename, windows uses the slash as a delimiter to mark subdirectories. It's also the same reason that if you make a folder with the right hexadecimal hash it will link directly to certain elements of control panel etc...

Hey. You are right. I tried to create a folder named "con" but Windows XP will not let me. It just goes back to "New folder." I wonder if anyone could explain what con, com1, and com2 are used for. It is reserved for the Windows System but what is it that Windows uses it for? We could put a null character in front of "con" but I guess that does not count. "alt+255 alt+355 alt+367 alt+366" where 'alt+255' is the null character.