xisto Community
rvalkass

Signature Tutorial [gimp]

Make a new image (obviously :) ). I've used 320x150 although any size should be fine. Paste your render in on a plain white background.post-7593-1264455440_thumb.pngChoose a colour that works well with your render. Set this as your foreground colour and black as the background colour. Fill the image with the gradient, starting with your colour at the top and working to black at the bottom. Generally I've found darker colours work the best, but you're welcome to experiment - it's how we all learn!post-7593-1264455446_thumb.pngNow we need to add some interesting features to the background. There are plenty of ways to do this, and your imagination really is the limit. One of my favourite methods is to use the cloud generation to create a random pattern. Create a new layer and fill it with white. Then click Filters > Render > Clouds > Difference Clouds. Set Detail to 1 and the X and Y sizes to 5.0, then hit OK. Set the Layer Mode for this layer to Overlay.post-7593-1264455452_thumb.pngTo get a bit more contrast to your background, duplicate the clouds layer and make sure it is still set to Overlay.post-7593-1264455457_thumb.pngThis can (as it has in my case) make the render look a bit washed out. To compensate for this, duplicate the render layer. Set the Layer Mode to Soft Light. To get rid of some of the harsher edges this creates, give this layer a 5px Gaussian blur (Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur).post-7593-1264455464_thumb.pngSome more interesting brushing is required to provide a bit more depth to the sig and fill in a little bit of the space left by the render. How you want to do this is up to you, and really depends on the brushes you're using. Slight overlap with the render can help to bring it in to the sig and make it feel part of it rather than an item slapped on top. Experiment with different Layer Modes to see what works well. I eventually ended up with this:post-7593-1264455471_thumb.pngThe next step is to add a border. A simple 1px black line often works well. Create a new layer, set the foreground colour to black and press Ctrl+A. Click Edit > Stroke Selection and set the line width to 1px.post-7593-1264455482_thumb.pngThe last step is adding the text. Type your chosen text in a font you feel works. There are so many out there it's impossible to recommend one, but you'll know when you find one that works. You'll then need to find a way to incorporate the text into the design. This depends on the colour and style of your sig, but Layer Modes can provide a good starting point or ideas for how the text could look. Brushing is also a possibility.post-7593-1264455488_thumb.pngAny questions? :(Comments, criticism, etc. all welcome, good or bad :D

Very nice tutorial and very easy to follow and understand for newbs at signatures. This is the way I made my first signature, with the clouds render, back when I first began. It is one of the best ways to begin making signatures, because it is very simple and easy to make signatures with. Then you can move on to better renders for signatures. I like the signature final result also, it looks really nice, and it blends well. The text matches nicely with the rest of the signature. The colors are really nice, also. I might try this method of rendering soon.

Nice tutorial, easy to understand for beginners in signature making. You should have made the tutorial with another render, it would have looked more awesome. This tutorial tells you alot about the basic 'GimP' Sig making, if any one wants to get good at it, you should keep building up on these techniques. Follow some rules, don't follow some. Try some new settings. Set the image adjustments. Try a border. Until, you get the kind of sig that you like. Oh, you didn't add 'How to save it', but i guess people already know :)