xisto Community
wonderfullygifted

What's Your Favourite Brand Of Computer?

I'm thinking of buying an Alienware computer, but.. I also think Dell is good, and I have a dell and a toshiba.It's just so difficult to decide, everything is always changing and I want a really good gaming computer.Not only for like 'gaming' but for multitasking.So what do you guys think?

Alienware? Jeez that is extremely high end. Wouldn't recommend unless you are going to be doing some serious gaming. Also some serious spending. I think their cheapest model is a bit over a grand. So I really wouldn't recommend it. I have been using Emachines for my whole life now. ( About 5 computers ) Its not really about the brand really more then the specs. I have only used Emachines so I can really compare any. But yea Alienware is really costly. Not recommended.

wow you are reach enough to buy an alienware computer lol xD will gift us? aha if you will develop something well be itdo the things you want and buy the things you since it is your money, I only have bad and low specs computers so I can't give you a suggestion anyway what computer type? desktop or notebook?

I'm thinking of buying an Alienware computer, but.. I also think Dell is good, and I have a dell and a toshiba.It's just so difficult to decide, everything is always changing and I want a really good gaming computer.
Not only for like 'gaming' but for multitasking.

So what do you guys think?

Dear friend now a days in Indiain notebook section Dell is capturing the market and increase the market sharein this section tremendously. So just go for it as three of my friends arehaving it and are fully satisfied. Two of my friends are also having HP Compaqand its working superb. Even I am having one which I have bought last year andI am satisfied with its performance.  

My favourite brand of computer is the one where I build it myself :) You get so much more control over the hardware, and it usually works out cheaper than buying a machine pre-built.

Choosing something for gaming and 'multitasking' could be difficult, depending on how intensive your multitasking is. Games generally run better on faster dual-core processors and make little use of extra cores on triple or quad-core processors. A multitasking PC will of course run better on a slightly slower quad core than a faster dual core. One of AMDs new triple-core processors could actually be a good balance - you're not spending too much extra for a core you won't use in gaming, yet you still have excellent multitasking abilities.

If you're going to buy a pre-built PC, and you're aiming for a high end machine (as you seem to be), then check out the following companies. They were all deemed good enough to enter the Dream PC competition last year, so produce very high quality and powerful machines:

Beast Computers

Chillblast

Kobalt Computers

CryoPC

Scan Computing

Ah yes of course you could always build your own! My favorite website for computer parts and other related stuff is TigerDirect. They have deals that are sometimes border line crazy. Its not as hard as it sounds and its a great idea.
Tiger Direct

Macs are good & great for multimedia & artistic types...no viruses to speak of...but backwards & a PIA if you learned PC. Compaq is good because you can put other upgrades in them without interface problems.Dell & the one with the cow print logo make sure you can ONLY use *their* parts in their machines. So, a friend gave my boyfriend a HUGE drive, & because his computer is dell, he can't use it. All I need to use it in my Compaq presario is a cable I can get at any electronics store.

There is no favorite laptop brand that you can fully trust. There are too many variety of models that each company provides and as a result there are actually thousands of choices. Now it is up to you to decide between the price and specifications that are being provided.Whether you decide for a model by its name or price or specification you end up paying for some extra. You are therefore the best judge.

I was thinking of building my own, I know there's like almost no cons, and it's all pros.I think the only con for me is that I have no clue what i'm doing lol.I just never had a really super fast computer, and well this computer.. I keep it on like 24/7 it is never off.. so I just have this feeling that it'll collapse on me one of these days.

Dell & the one with the cow print logo make sure you can ONLY use *their* parts in their machines.

How? All PC components are standardised to make sure you can use all hardware together (within reason). It's possible that Dell and Gateway (the cow logo) would go to the extent of producing their own hardware specifications, motherboards and all hardware but it seems somewhat foolish considering the colossal cost involved and lack of support (even for a company like Dell). Dell's desktops, from my experience, work fine with standard hardware. All laptops (not just Dells and Gateways) are another matter simply because they use odd form factors and fairly customised parts anyway (hence their comparatively high price).

I think the only con for me is that I have no clue what i'm doing lol.

There are plenty of guides online and in PC hardware magazines to building your own PC from scratch. It's not really as hard as it seems - everything can only fit in one hole, one way around. The only part requiring skill or judgement is applying thermal paste to the CPU cooler, but as most coolers now come with it pre-applied, even that has been largely removed from the difficulty. If you have little idea of the internals of a PC then choosing the components can feel a bit overwhelming, but you've got a forum full of people here that are willing to help :) If you're seriously interested in building your own PC then start a new topic and ask for advice on components - What exactly do you need your PC to do? What's your budget? Do you need a monitor? etc. People will come flooding back with advice and ideas.

I just never had a really super fast computer, and well this computer.. I keep it on like 24/7 it is never off.. so I just have this feeling that it'll collapse on me one of these days.

A computer generates most of its heat in the first few minutes. After that you reach a steady state of the components producing heat and the fans/water cooling/whatever removing it. The only reason for that steady state to change is if part of your cooling fails (ie. a fan stops spinning) or a component fails. If the cooling fails that's a cheap and easy fix. If a component fails then that's generally more expensive, and it can take a while to diagnose exactly which component has given up the ghost. Running 24/7 will obviously shorten the life of your components, but most people serious about their hardware replace the components well before they fail in that way anyway.

I download a lot, and I love music, and videos, and have tons of pictures, and those take a ton of space on my hard drive.

Traditional HDDs are dirt cheap and easy to add/replace to a PC, so lots of storage space isn't a problem. If you go for a SSD you'll have incredible speed but you'll pay thousands to get the storage space you need.

Then I play some games, but I multitask a lot.

Then it probably isn't the best idea to get a laptop. Even laptops designed specifically for gaming tend to be much poorer performers than their desktop counterparts.