xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kleong

Black Screen On Laptop

I need some help with my acer laptop. It show a black screen when I tried to boot up. Hitting Fn+F5/F6 does not help, actually does help initially but while booting up, the laptop hanged. And when I repower it up, it does not work anymore. I have help the fan as well as see that the bluetooth and wireless indicator is blinking.Did a google on this. I have tried all the recommended solutions, pressing Fn+Esc, holding down power switch for 30secs, unplugging the power supply and removing the battery for a day, flashing my bios, etc etc. But I just cant get the screen to function.When I tried to plug in an external VGA monitor, what I get is the message "Check Video cable". Nothing wrong with the cable as I used it to connect the monitor to my desktop.Of course, I wrote to acer's helpdesk but they aint solving the problem either. Please if anyone know what else could I do before I resort to the last solution which is to send my lappy for a repair.

can you try hitting Fn+F6 immediately? this is the one I do when I have the same problem as yours yes I knew what you feelits annoying if this didn't work maybe its a hardware problem and you must go to the nearest service centerand let them do the work or maybe try to Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go.

Do you get the BIOS screen? If not do you hear the BIOS beeps? If you do hear the beeps what do they sound like? Is it one short beep or a series of shorter or longer beeps?If you can tell us the beep codes from the BIOS (assuming the BIOS boots) then we may be able to track down the meaning of the code.But it sounds like either your Mboard/CPU is frazzled or the graphics chip is fried. If the BIOS sounds with one short beep (or whatever it usually gives on a successful boot) then i would put money on the graphics been fried. If there is no BIOS at all i would say the CPU or Mboard. We had the same with a laptop here at work and had to get an engineer in to fix it, a replaced CPU later and the problem was solved. Have you tried removing all the RAM modules and then trying to boot, then replacing just one and trying to boot and if there are more modules trying the other ones, one by one, and seeing if you can get at least BIOS.

Do you get the BIOS screen?
If not do you hear the BIOS beeps?

If you do hear the beeps what do they sound like? Is it one short beep or a series of shorter or longer beeps?

If you can tell us the beep codes from the BIOS (assuming the BIOS boots) then we may be able to track down the meaning of the code.

But it sounds like either your Mboard/CPU is frazzled or the graphics chip is fried. If the BIOS sounds with one short beep (or whatever it usually gives on a successful boot) then i would put money on the graphics been fried. If there is no BIOS at all i would say the CPU or Mboard. We had the same with a laptop here at work and had to get an engineer in to fix it, a replaced CPU later and the problem was solved.

Have you tried removing all the RAM modules and then trying to boot, then replacing just one and trying to boot and if there are more modules trying the other ones, one by one, and seeing if you can get at least BIOS.

wow shadowx you sure a great tech geek XD you know so much about this also the sound of the BIOS
maybe you are a computer technician? sorry for my off topic :D

anyway good luck author on repairing your laptop hope it will work soon so you can use it again try everything
we suggest here maybe you can get that to work :)

Good guess, i am a techie XDI learned about BIOS beeps back in college, the rest is just what i was advised to do by HP when one our laptops died on us so i cant claim all the credit!I dont think any of it is particularly effective, the idea seems to be to completely clear all the memory in the machine (apart from the hardrive) so that means clearing out the BIOS cache, the RAM, the ram/cpu caches etc... so you get a completely fresh start. If it still doesnt work after that then it is likely some faulty hardware which on a desktop PC is easy enough to fix just by replacing each part until it works but laptops are a pain, most of their components like the CPU, graphics, power supply, sound/network chips are all soldered onto the motherboard so if one of those fries you need to send it off unless you are really really good with a soldering iron and identifying electrical circuits which most of us arent!

If you do hear the beeps what do they sound like? Is it one short beep or a series of shorter or longer beeps?

If you can tell us the beep codes from the BIOS (assuming the BIOS boots) then we may be able to track down the meaning of the code.

But it sounds like either your Mboard/CPU is frazzled or the graphics chip is fried. If the BIOS sounds with one short beep (or whatever it usually gives on a successful boot) then i would put money on the graphics been fried. If there is no BIOS at all i would say the CPU or Mboard. We had the same with a laptop here at work and had to get an engineer in to fix it, a replaced CPU later and the problem was solved.

Have you tried removing all the RAM modules and then trying to boot, then replacing just one and trying to boot and if there are more modules trying the other ones, one by one, and seeing if you can get at least BIOS.

Oh wow, you sure do know a lot. :)

This is why I didn't want a acer laptop, though. They look cheaply built, and sounds like they have a lot of problems.

You didn't mention the model number of your laptop. Please mention that, in your future reply. I hope we could find some solution. As far as the initial diagnosis goes, I'll say( like shadowx pointed out) some part of your hardware is not functioning properly. I once had a similar problem with a HP laptop. The problem was due to a faulty strip cable that connects Monitor to the graphics display on the main board.Can't comment on your problem though, since you haven't given us much to work on.

Thanks all for the advice. My answer to some of the questions are as below.

can you try hitting Fn+F6 immediately? ... maybe try to Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go.

I have tried both but to no avail.

If you do hear the beeps what do they sound like? Is it one short beep or a series of shorter or longer beeps? ...

... Have you tried removing all the RAM modules and then trying to boot, then replacing just one and trying to boot and if there are more modules trying the other ones, one by one, and seeing if you can get at least BIOS.

I can't see the bios screen. The monitor is black from the moment I push the power button. The beep is a short one, much like what I normally get when the everything was in good working order. I have removed the RAM but I didn't boot it up. What I did was to remove the RAM and put in back in before booting it.

... the idea seems to be to completely clear all the memory in the machine (apart from the hardrive) so that means clearing out the BIOS cache, the RAM, the ram/cpu caches etc... so you get a completely fresh start. If it still doesnt work after that then it is likely some faulty hardware which on a desktop PC is easy enough to fix just by replacing each part until it works but laptops are a pain, most of their components like the CPU, graphics, power supply, sound/network chips are all soldered onto the motherboard so if one of those fries you need to send it off unless you are really really good with a soldering iron and identifying electrical circuits which most of us arent!

I have tried removing the RAM but for the soldering part, I am not confident of carrying it out.

You didn't mention the model number of your laptop. Please mention that, in your future reply...

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5583.

Thanks all once again for the advices.

I was experiencing what you are now with my computer when I took it over my friends house. We were so bummed out because all it did was black screen some beeping noises and then shut off. A google later and I found the answer. Turned out one of my ram sticks was lose from the move. Just popped it out then back in and it was working fine again. I don't know if this can happen to a laptop but wouldn't hurt to just re-set the ram.

To share with everyone what is wrong with my lappies. Send it for servicing and it was found out that the motherboard is the one causing the problem. They are shipping in the MB and so in the meantime, I won't have my lappies till weeks later.