xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

Shoutbox Timing Its wrong

Evening all. This is aimed mainly at the admins, the shoutbox timestamp appears to be wildly inaccurate at times. I am wondering where the timestamp for the shoutbox comes from? Is it calculated based on the user's time, the server time or some other number?I ask because often my shouts appear below the person replying to me in an order such as:1 Them2 me3 Them5 Them (reply)4 Me (question)And just now i got the "shoutbox flooding enabled" message only it had a timer of 211 seconds.... Refreshing the page or the shoutbox didnt solve this and it is counting down in one second increments so the flooding protection isnt broken it seems that the shoutbox has given my last message a timestamp of several minutes in the future. Right now my clock says 1:11 PM my last shout in the shoutbox also has this timestamp only i shouted that about 5-10 minutes ago... Hence the confusion with the flood protection. In effect i got a 10 minute flood protection from the shoutbox because my shout was timed 10 minutes in the future. Only now have the two times matched up and my silence is at an end. What's the cause of that? Here at work we are synchronised with the microsoft internet time servers and google reports the time accurately for my area. So i know MY time is right, the question is, is T17s time right?

Yea I too have noticed that. Someones shout that I know came before mine will suddenly ( Usually when reloading another page ) drop after mine. Also it would appear as if the shoutbox scrolls up a little bit ( Hiding the last shout ) at the reload of the page. Yes I can vouch on the time stamps messing up as well. Just to confirm that its not a problem isolated with Shadow. Not the biggest of problems but little things like this bug me. :)

Seems the server time may be out then? Interesting....Thanks for confirming the problem! Nothing worse than a problem that you cant replicate :)

I think it has to do with the Time Zones.lets say its 12:00PM here and it's 1:00PM where you are.that means I am one (1) Hour behind you. so here's the format of the shouts.me: 12:00PM: This shout came afteryou: 1:00PM: This shout came firstAnd the shouts order is downward.So my theory is that because it's later in your timezone, the shoutbox thinks you shouted one (1) hour after meSo to conclude, the shoutbox is going by your timezone and not by server time.

The shoutbox tbh has always had issue with time, and I don't know why, to be honest I don't really use it any more. I would say that I haven't seen it reorder posts but I as I said I hardly ever post so it's not suprising.

It's not only the shoutbox, but the shoutbox shows it more often. Consider the following post of mine: click. Look at the time it was posted at, and then look at the time of the post above mine. It's a four minute difference. However, the forums doing this is very rare and so far have not shown any awkward conversations.

I guess we discussed this way earlier. We used to chat and then some shouts used to get missed. Some shouts get question later and answer earlier. That made many people irritated, it is slightly fixed now. But not completely there are some issues there as well. SOmetimes you see posts of only one person and other person seems to miss the shouts. We discussed this so i guess we have to ping opaque again for this. I'm sure it will be fixed.Didn't noticed the trouble with forums though,but i guess i'm looking at posts not with timestamp i guess.

heh nice link TF, never seen that before!It cant be the timezone as the hours are perfect, it is to do with the minutes somehow. Which is really odd. Somehow the server must be getting confused with the time which is really weird. Especially as it is sporadic in nature and not consistent. and 4 minutes cant be explained by server lag either really!

**a conversation I picked up earlier

(05:21 AM) FouGilang - oh neat, i'm 5 minutes slower than the server clock o_o(09:11 AM) shadowx - oo im 15 minutes in the future... nice
(09:17 AM) shadowx - I am speaking to you from the future.... the world will end in 10 minutes time unless you make shadowx your supreme leader... heed my words...
(09:36 AM) shadowx - *a faint echo of a cataclysmic explosion ripples out of the shoutbox. You realize you have 10 minutes to live your life*

:) I found it quite amusing, there is clearly issues with the server time. I know I've said this before but if you install Inferno Shoutbox the shoutbox problem will be gone :D just a suggestion.

**a conversation I picked up earlier

:D I found it quite amusing, there is clearly issues with the server time. I know I've said this before but if you install Inferno Shoutbox the shoutbox problem will be gone :( just a suggestion.

Aaah thats funny. Yea someone answered my question a while back and it just kept popping up over and over again to everything I said pretty annoying but only time I really noticed this. At first I thought he was actually retyping it until I looked at the time and realized someone from the past was talking to me. :)