xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Kingston Will Launch Cheap Ssd By February

SSD (solid state disks) are the craziest thing ever! Not only it will out perform your ordinary hard drive, when combined with a portable device like a laptop, it will extend the operation time. It can keep your laptop cooler and quieter.But, it's always been expensive. And with newer operation systems requiring 1,5,10GB of space, getting a large enough SSD with the price tag that wouldn't cost your arm and a leg would not have been possible.That is until today. Kingston has announced their SSDNow V series with 30GB at a price of $80. I purched a 20GB SSD just over a year ago with more than $300 price tag. Kingston will have rebate promotion when launching in February that even includes Windows 7 TRIM functionality. TRIM function is special to Windows 7. TRIM will cut down the amount of data from needing to be deleted. This increases SSD's lifespan by limiting how many time it needs to write over. TRIM deletes useless data in advance. TRIM can utilize ATA commands to speed up the SSD's writing speed.The SSD's spec shows read speed of 180MB/sec and a write speed of 50MB/sec. The drive is a 2.5-inch form factor and has no moving parts. While 30GB may be smaller than what you are used to. But it will make a nice booting drive for the new Windows 7.

Thats great many of us have been waiting too long for ssd prices to finally come down. I just wonder at the lifespan of these devices. They are yet to really prove themselves, from what ive heard they will be more reliable than conventional ones. They can sustain higher impacts (your never know, could happen that your laptop/bag falls of your shoulder). But in terms of the overall life of the component i still wonder...

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I guess at this point I am willing to overlook on the exact "amount" of SSD's lifespan. Because, a drive can fail at any moment. Just because it has higher shock proof, I could start throwing my laptop around. It's not likely that I will rough-it only because I can.The hope that SSD dive failure is less likely as the conventional spinning drive is always there. The more expectation I have is the cooler running, faster read and write speed and less consumption of the laptop's battery. Together, they will lead to overall higher performing and longer lasting laptop hours.

The only reason i refuse to touch solid state drives for my desktop is the low filesize, the price range, and the life spanIf only these three things were improved, then I would go out and buy one any second.The only reason I would get one is primarily to speed up my boot time, otherwise I don't really need one.