xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

This Is My Last Thread, Possibly Final Post. The last straw was the removal of edit function.

OK... let me get this straight. (Great... it's 12:16am at night, I have a blog post to write about, and I'm here typing a post up on Xisto. And I think it will be a very long one at that. The bad thing is that I can't edit after 10 mins, which is obviously NOT enough.)Watermonkey wants to leave this forum. He says he is leaving, and yet he doesn't. Why? I know. Because he wants us to give him reason NOT to leave this forum. I suppose that is about it. :) OK then. FINE. Then let's get to the bottom of things. As far as I understand it, Watermonkey is unhappy about a few things in Xisto.One. The myCent's mysteriousity.Two. The copyrights of the content of the usersThree. The edit feature that has been disabled.And that is the main ones. I think there are other few ones, but I will not list it here for the sake of getting enough sleep and getting my post done... not in time, as it's already the next day. And I need to do my blog post after. OK... Watermonkey wants to know why we are not told how exactly the mycent system works. Personally, I do not like how our mycents decrease over time as our post count gets higher, and I would like to change that, but only Opaque can do that.I agree that Opaque does not disclose to us how my mycents works. Therefore, if I can guess correctly in Watermonkey's brain (bad grammar, sorry), he understands, as well as I do, that Opaque can cheat anytime, and decrease our earnings whenever he wants to, or increase them, or do nothing and say that he has doubled our earnings for a day or something when he didn't do anything with the code at all. It means that we may be writing the same content, but getting less for it without knowing.I guess there is really nothing I can do about that. So far, Xisto is the best free host I have ever seen, so I can only put my trust in Xisto and what Xisto has to give. Without Xisto, I won't be able to use their services, and therefore, no .com domain for me. And if I really need it and I don't have the funds, then no unlimited hosting for me either, though I have found a way to get my funds for paid hosting on other hosting sites. :D:(:D But I still use Xisto as a domain provider. Xisto also has a great community of helpful mods and loyal members. And that is why I am here now, because I have much more than enough funds sufficient to last me over 10+ years for my current needs. :( And I trust the admins.So therefore, whether Opaque discloses the mycents system to us or not, I will still use this service. Opaques doesn't disclose it to us. Therefore, we can't do anything about it. (Though I would really, really, really, really, really want to change the decrease in myCENTS system. I hate that).SECONDLY. The copyright of the content of its users. Like you, I also have a problem with that. Because my content... one that I was about to use of article sites, is not common license. :D I guess there is nothing we can do though. Also, Xisto, I think, is the same whether it has that logo badge or not. Before, we don't even know what our copyright regulations are. So therefore, it has never come into our minds. Now that the logo badge is there, it has.But seriously... I think this is what Opaque intended all along. I don't think any of our copyrights are changed. However... I really think that Opaque should discuss with us first about things like that, and see what we have to say. After all... Opaque needs this forum, and if everyone goes storming off, then it's a lose-lose situation for everyone. I agree that Opaque as done A LOT of things that we members are not happy about. Things that Opaque should have discussed with us first.But there is nothing we can do. Who said Xisto had to have such an admin? This site was founded by Opaque mainly. There is nothing we can do about it. THIRDLY. I hate this. The edit feature. Like I said, I have some content that I wanted to use on other sites, like Helium and stuff. BUT. BECAUSE OF OPAQUE, I can't. I hate that. I absolutely despise that. But I'm still on this site. I know that from now on, however, I will NOT be posting ANY content like articles, short stories or ANYTHING like that on this site.Other than that, I have no comment. I still wish to take them down, but it is too late. Opaque even deleted the delete feature.It's really stupid. I don't think anyone replied to my short story, and I didn't get any mycents for that either. :(:P:( Blame Opaque. :P Now, I have talked about the three things that Watermonkey is worried about. Like you, I agree with your views. However, I have learned not to post any articles or short stories on Xisto, as I have told you. And other than posting normal content where people can hardly copy, like this one, unless their admin does the same thing, I will NOT post any good content here anymore. :DBut I still like Xisto's services and the community. The community is mostly what made me stayed. Not mycents or anything. And that is what I am here for.Nothing else. :DSo... what do you say, Watermonkey???:(:P :P

Simply addressing the concerns with Xisto, and not actually to WaterMonkey:

One. The myCent's mysteriousity.Two. The copyrights of the content of the users
Three. The edit feature that has been disabled.

1.) I did the math at one point but forgot what it came out to. I think it was a couple of cents per word, but I didn't know that we were curtailed after a certain post count. Since it's not to be shared, I'm sure that the secret formula comes out to something like:

(myCents rate)*(multiplier, dependent on post count)

or

$0.02 per word * 1.0 if post count is less than 500
$0.02 per word * 0.9 if post count is less than 750
$0.02 per word * 0.8 if post count is less than 1000
$0.02 per word * 0.75 if post count is less than 2000

It could very well be a more complicated formula, and my given rate is probably pretty high, but hell, that above would make sense to me.

Knowing this, it would behoove any new member to understand the system before going out and posting a ton of hackneyed, crappy one-liners as they would just be building their post count and lose out on fuller potential earnings.

I found an older post of mine where I said that my average earnings per post comes out to be about $0.16. (Not sure how accurate that is, since this also includes posts I made before myCents was implemented.) Given the moderate posting that I do, you could take that as an example and see to it how it should be done to earn $0.16 a post... or take it with a grain of salt and go for quality, as it always was the case.

I think that we should be given somewhat more of an official idea as to how the myCents scheme works. It will raise fewer questions and if someone would like to do an ongoing calculation of what their myCents earnings are to show how the system works, that would be grand. Looking at my myCent count now, I have 85.70. It was somewhere around 35.10 before I posted something in a game thread (Plants vs. Zombies), and before that, I posted something in my home theater question thread. (I'm not sure if I opened the thread that I gauged my myCent count before or after I posted in my home theater thread.) If you only count what I typed in my Plants vs. Zombies post, I had, according to M$ Word, 243 words. Doing that math, I get:

(113.20 - 35.10) / 243 = $0.32139... per word

That seems a bit too generous, so I'm going to assume it also included what I wrote in my home theater thread and this other thread I posted in earlier today, which had 163 and 211 words, respectively:

(113.20 - 35.10) / (243+163+211) = $0.12658... per word

That's three posts today. The math seems right, and the system seems pretty generous per word, considering that I have a post count of 1029, not counting this one.

I will check and post the math I get with this post alone, now that I know that my myCent count is at 113.20.

-

2.) Where is there ever a place online that you actually owned your content out-right? Maybe there is, but if it's free, it's obvious that the company you're dealing with will want to profit from what you contribute. No one does anything for free. You may not pay any money to utilize Google's search engine, but Google will take your search terms and use them to generate statistics, figure out what people are actively searching for in a period of time, and turn it around for profit. Facebook is free to join, but it will take all of your statuses, look for key phrases and key words, and use them to target your interests so that you will buy things from ads catered to you and earn money from those advertisers by offering the service to advertise towards potential customers that are actually INTERESTED in what you're about to advertise instead of throwing out leaflets to a mob of the masses. Here, it seems that Xisto is going to take what you post and make something of it... eventually or now. (It's the same with every other social network or anyone, really, who can use your information to turn a profit somewhere, somehow.) It's the nature of the beast. And knowing that, I still continue to post my crap online. Why? Because I don't know any better. :)

Prime example: A buddy of mine goes out to Picture People and gets an awesome professional photo set of his family. He pays $XX or so for so many wallets, 5x7" pictures, etc. It's his picture, isn't it? Shouldn't he be able to go out and do whatever he wants with it?

Fast-forward. My buddy goes to Walmart to get duplicates of the 5x7", because Uncle Joe Snuffy wants a copy to put on his nightstand. He finds out he can't because he doesn't own the rights to the photo, and thus would have to ask Picture People to get duplicates... at their exorbitant rates. Because he originally signed an agreement saying that the photos themselves were properties of Picture People. He physically had the 5x7" in his hand, but he only has the right to "use" that photo on that medium.

Kind of like PC games and piracy.

When you go out to buy Spore by EA Games, you're not actually buying the game. You're buying the rights to use that game. You might have the disc in hand and have paid for the medium, but the game still belongs to EA Games. Not you. That's why they can keep you from playing the game because they think you pirated it by installing it more than three times.

In the case of Xisto, when you hit that Submit button, you're done. You've sent content to Xisto that becomes the property of Xisto. It is Opaque's now for him to use in any which way, shape, or form. And you willingfully did this because you, like most people, skimmed the Terms and Conditions (or didn't even read them), registered, and then fervently started posting to earn myCents.

Take all of that pertinent to Xisto for what it is. I haven't read the Terms and Conditions. I don't know what Opaque will do with this post or any of the posts that I write up here at Xisto. But I don't really care too much... yet. Because this is a forum that I can share my thoughts and give my two cents... for "free." Opaque isn't getting anything from us posting mindless banter here. He does, however, get what everyone out there is out to get: information, whether it is in the form of numbers or actual intelligent contributions to this forum. And he has the right to, since he made this whole gig up.

Information is money. If you don't want your ideas stolen, used, or copied (which makes me laugh every time I see the IDEAS AND INNOVATIONS category), don't post them. If you don't want private information shared, don't post it. This goes for everything you do on the Internet. And yet we still whine and complain about privacy... and still, by our own hands, submit so much personal information to complete strangers on the web.

Crazy, eh? :(

-

3.) At first, I thought it was dumb. But TrueFusion has a point with awkward threads, as I've run into a lot of those online where you will see a lot of responses to... wait, who are they responding to? Posts disappear because they become edited, the member is banned, the member quits, or whatnot, and it makes for some strange moments as well as loss of potentially valuable information that people could use. (See above.) Not just in that manner, however... what if someone posts the cure for cancer, and then a doctor tries to access the thread, only to find out that the information is lost forever since the member was banned for some dumb reason? See what I mean?

At the same time, not being able to edit your own posts can be quite absurd in the sense where I can't fix a typo, or just add to a topic that I've already posted in, or whatnot. You're going to see a lot of threads being bumped by me when this happens... and frankly, it happens quite a bit with me.

-

@WaterMonkey: I don't know you personally, but just by judging what you have to share, I like what you have to contribute. You have some sound arguments, however lost in translation at times (evidently), and I don't think you've posted anything pointless or retarded that I've read yet. I hope you stick around and stay one of those names that I automatically approve as a "quality poster" (corny, I know), because, so far, I'm always willing to lend an "ear" to what you have to say here.

That goes for a select handful of you as well... you can probably tell who you are. :D

Since I can't EDIT my previous post... :)

My last balance was 113.20 [READY] before I posted the previous post above. It is now at 210.80 [READY] AFTER having cashed to $1, leaving me with a previous working balance of 13.20. This gives me $1.976 in myCents for 1516 words, killing WaterMonkey's theory of only being able to earn $1 max per post (unless I misinterpreted what you wrote... no disrespect). Therefore, wherever I am in the current scheme of things relating to being curtailed for earnings for being at 1030 posts, my earning rate is $0.07672 per word.

Your mileage may vary.

For those of you that are still myCents-greedy, I advise that you turn your focus to quality posting and just let the myCents flow however it wants to. As much as I hate using that phrase, it apparently doesn't get through to a lot of new members AND regulars.

Perhaps that is right. :) But still, I would like to delete some posts that I could have used for a better purpose instead. Number one. Xisto does NOT have any paranormal freaks and fans. Number Two. I cannot use that on the proper audience now, because of the copyright stuff and that. Number three. THERE ARE NO RESPONSES.I would really want to take them down. I didn't benefit. No one did from my information. Apart from Opaque. And that is what set me going. @rayzoredge: Wow... you really really did spend you time into that, huh? good on you. :DThere is ONE query that is sticking out of my head, however: Why isn't Opqaue here? Why isn't he doing anything? Why does he just leave is to rant, argue, debate and do whatever we want and not come here and solve this out? Is he afraid to face us? What is he hiding? He is sending BuffaloHelp, or BuffaloHelp is sending himself, to talk about it with us. And yet, BuffaloHelp clearly stated that he does not, and I reapeat... NOT have the powers to change anything about the myCENTS system.What what in the world is the use of getting BuffaloHelp to clarify some things, when clearly, if should be Opaque? NOW THAT IS WHAT IS REALLY REALLY WRONG.And I don't like that at all. When's Opaque going to come out and face us? He hasn' t been on often ever since I joined this forum. I've only seen him once or twice online, but yes, I see BuffaloHelp often. I understand that he is busy, but forums come with responsibilities. Especially a forum like this one. People have support threads, and they have mycent and copyright rants. :(AND IT IS up to him to solve this. Not another admin that has no power over this or the mods that doesn't really understand anything. :(@Watermonkey... well... like I said, I have given you the points on my opinion. :D And like I said before: I may beg you to stay, but the words are ultimately words on the screen and nothing more. It is up to you. :DI'm here for the community. And for the service, though not here for mycents at the current moment because I have enough funds, having to stay up very very late at night just to post at Xisto. I realise that that was unneccessary, due to the face that mycents are easy to come along and easy to get. But I was a retard then. (And I still am now). Now, I can come on Xisto once or twice a month and it wont affect anything. :( :PBut what about you? If you are low on funds, then post. If you don't like the community and the service... then what is the point of staying here? Really...It really just depends on you. :PThe end. Full stop. I'll try and wait for your reply.

WaterMonkey, I'll just leave this:

If you want to leave, leave.
If you don't want to leave, don't leave.
If you want to suggest, or complain go here.
If you're trying to create a commotion, get more mycents, or anything of the sort, just leave like you said you were.

That is all.