xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
H.O.D

India Doesn't Need A 29th State - Telangana, Does It?

All of you Indians on this forum might be aware that there is an agitation going on in the state of Andhra Pradesh demanding a separate state called Telangana. It has been in the news recently all over the country so I think you might have heard of it. This is not a recent development - in fact this agitation has been going on ever since AP was formed by the merging of the two states Hyderabad and Andhra way back in 1956. Right now there are two agitations going on in AP - one demanding separate Telangana and another demanding a unified AP.

I'm a true Telanganiite, but I am in favour of a unified AP. I agree that a lot of injustice has been done to the region, but breaking up is not the answer. If only this 50-year old agitation had been demanding justice to the region instead of statehood it would have been beneficial to the whole state. Throughout these 50 years the agitation seems to be taking place only to satisfy the needs of some greedy political leaders. First it was Chenna Reddy who "betrayed" the agitation in 1969 and now it is KCR who is trying to find his lost glory after being beaten bitterly in the recent elections. I ask just one question - apart from spearheading the agitation, what have these leaders done for the region till now? They haven't spent anything to develop the region. All they crave for is power, which they hope to get by playing with people's emotions.

The agitation started in the first place because the Gentleman's agreement which was made at the time of the merger was not fulfilled. That is true - the Telangana region has been unnecessarily and unfairly put back in terms of development. But what the common people fail to observe is that if the state becomes a reality, development will take a step backward and not forward. They are failing to see that the people leading the campaign are those who have a wonderful track-record for breaking their promises. Greed of power and money is driving is agitation and not the aim of development. And due to this the common people, mainly students and young employees are getting affected, because their studies/jobs are in danger now. Many IT companies and other firms are pulling out of Hyderabad and AP altogether, uncertain of the future situation.

Now it seems too late to talk some sense into these "leaders" - they have become too blind with greed and have brought this "agitation" too far. I only hope that the central government analyses the situation properly and establishes the fact that development is possible only with a unified state, and if some proper promise is made to ensure that Telangana is developed that would be a boon for this region. But it the government gives in to the pressure, it will be the saddest day in the history of the Telugu people. Without realising they have brought this death-hammer upon themselves :)

I don't know what to say but the trouble with regionalism is that, each region has it's culture and language and all the people related to that region wants to protect it. Somehow they find some reason for their this thinking to be promoted. I don't know what's the point of creating one more state. I mean is it going to solve any problem ?

Hello!! I think there is no need to create one more state. Is this decision going to solve the problems or creating more problems? It's all political mess ups. All speak TELUGU and people have to work united to keep this state competitive. The backward regions are to be given more importance towards development. Invite the investors to invest in the small towns, villages, districts etc. This way the whole surroundings will develop. The govt. should be prepared to provide all the necessary resources and so on. I don't think dividing the state into pieces will make any difference to any community.

Definitely there is no need for a new Telengana state. I am also completely against of it. It will not do any good to Telengana. I don't agree that Telengana is completely ignored. The fact is that, government focused too much on Hyderabad, and ignored other places somehow. It doesn't mean that Telengana is completely ignored and Andhra people are putting Telengana behind. There are still many undeveloped Districts in Andrha, and Rayalaseema region. Who is behind that?The recent Telengana issue is just a play of KCR. I completely agree with you about this issue. I think he did nothing to Telengana... He wants power, so he is using people's feelings and sentiments. This issue is getting worse. I don't see any reason in banning the movies of film stars who supported Unified Andhra Pradesh.What the hell is wrong with these people? I hate this type of politics. Regionalism is a big threat to development. We had already seen this with stats like Jharkand, Chattisgarh etc... Things became worse there after the seperation. Why Telengana parties are ignoring this fact? Already they are taking Telengana backwards with this seperate State campaign. Hyderabad, the crown of Andhra Pradesh is losing its glory.. reason? These dirty politics... :)

Regionalism is at pick these days. But there are two sides of it. For example, Hindi is making it difficult for other languages in state to survive. Don't blame those regions if they find hindi takeover fear. Personally i don't support separate telangana and separate mumbai. But case of mumbai is different there hindi speakers want separation so that they can freely speak hindi for the sake of it and without giving attention to local culture and language. Anyway, this is going to hurt india in long term view..

Unity in diversity is long gone - these days all people seem to be thinking about is regionalism. And I'm not talking about just the politicians - even the common people tend to discriminate other people based on their language, region and religion. We belong to one country in name only. People of different states hardly see each other as citizens of the same country, rather they treat each other as if they belong to separate countries :D I only wish this sad situation passes us soon. The Telangana situation is clearly going to go on for a while. In the meanwhile the situation in Mumbai seems grim too, and it all doesn't make any sense. The educated people, unfortunately, are too scared to voice their opinion, and the illiterate who are also ignorant, are being taken for a ride by the power-hungry politicians :)

I strongly feel that it is not necessary. Because the problem over here in this issue is that if Andra is divided then all the other states also will start asking for a division. The concept is so simple. Just checkout on a whole in every state as of now there are 2 major parites. And what if there can be 2 states so that both parties can rule over the same current geographical location. The problem is that people say if the states are divided into small ones then there can be good control over the state. On the other hand corruption might also increase. Center will have more preassure. Already it has so many problems to Handle . Poor PM Ji. I Really like him very much . you know he is such a wonderful leader for India