xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Anyone Play Harmonica? Also known as, harp, or mouth organ

I got a C maj Hohner Blues Harp for Christmas, and I haven't the slightest idea how to play it. I've been reading a few lessons, and my harp playing still sounds pitiful. I was listening to some of Sonny Terry's music - wow, I wasn't even aware a harmonica could be played that good. I recommend anyone who likes raw blues/country music to check him out, I had no idea who he was until now. If he doesn't inspire you to play the harp (or depress you into throwing it in the trash) I don't know who else will. I was thinking it was just a cheap, simple instrument, but people forge entire careers and legacy's on the humble little harmonica. So much for quickly adding a new instrument to my repertoire of tricks, they say it could take months to master certain techniques. I'm a long way from advanced techniques, I can barely hold the thing right! What I really need is some alone time with it, preferably in the middle of a dense forest where nobody can hear me. I'm impressed with the little Harp, it's my first one, and I love the portability of the thing. I don't have to lug around guitars and amps to play some music. I use the word music loosely, in my case.Anyone else play a Harmonica/Harp/Mouth Organ (different names, for different locales I guess)

I play a little. I know the blues scale pretty good. With a harmonica in C you'd play a blues run in G.That's how it works with it. For example, with a D harmonica, you'd play a blues run in A.I've never really been interested in picking out melodies on the harmonica, only improvising. I much rather enjoy playing guitar.They are much too expensive as well, considering you can go through them in a few hours if you're not careful.A Lee Oscar or Hohner harmonica will cost about 40 dollars.