xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andresf91

Internet Connection In Linux Through Mobile's Wifi? is that possible??

Hi!
I'm considering buying an old phone from an acquaintance. It's a Nokia E51. It 's in good state and has all I want: mainly WiFi access to Internet.
The thing is that I have an old computer in my room with Debian Lenny, but it doesn't have a WiFi card to connect to the web through the wireless network my family has at home... (yeah, I know it doesn't make much sense but it's just that I'm trying to recycle this computer)

Now, my question is, can I use this Nokia E51 as a "modem" with its WiFi capacity, in order to connect this computer to the wireless network (saving some bucks)??
I'm asking this here, and not in Nokia's forums because I've made some research (googling basically) and found that there is no official solution to this since they don't offer Nokia PC Suite for Linux, only for Windows.
So, there's no official solution for this. There are some apps that try to connect phones to Linux, like KMobileTools and Wammu, but the former's site is down and the latter doesn't offer what I'm looking for.

So I'd like to know if you people have faced this problem and if you could solve it?
Thanks

Currently, I use a Sony Ericsson k550 to connect to the Internet via a 3g network.
I have tried it in recent versions of ubuntu , knoppix and PCLinux, every time it worked by just plugging it in. I didn't require to search and install any additional drivers at all. :P
I would definitely recommend you get your hands on a sony Ericsson k550 because you don't need any drivers as they are already built into linux!. In my opinion Sony Ericsson makes decent phones that are fast , usable and stable. Unlike LG and Nokia phones which i have witnessed to be very annoying unstable and slow phones that crash often from just normal user operating the phone itself, never mind trying to share a Internet connection with one of those phones.

I hope this helps you :-)

Hi!I'm considering buying an old phone from an acquaintance. It's a Nokia E51. It 's in good state and has all I want: mainly WiFi access to Internet.
The thing is that I have an old computer in my room with Debian Lenny, but it doesn't have a WiFi card to connect to the web through the wireless network my family has at home... (yeah, I know it doesn't make much sense but it's just that I'm trying to recycle this computer)

Now, my question is, can I use this Nokia E51 as a "modem" with its WiFi capacity, in order to connect this computer to the wireless network (saving some bucks)??
I'm asking this here, and not in Nokia's forums because I've made some research (googling basically) and found that there is no official solution to this since they don't offer Nokia PC Suite for Linux, only for Windows.
So, there's no official solution for this. There are some apps that try to connect phones to Linux, like KMobileTools and Wammu, but the former's site is down and the latter doesn't offer what I'm looking for.

So I'd like to know if you people have faced this problem and if you could solve it?
Thanks

can i connect wi fi samsung mobileInternet Connection In Linux Through Mobile's Wifi?

hello

I m tried to searching for internet connection WI_FI in samsung sgh-i617 mobile .

If you help me or I'm going to asking a question can I connect wireless internet or wi fi in my samsung sgh-617 mobile > /?. If yes please suggest me how to use it or connet? 

-question by gopal pandey