xisto Community
iGuest

Changing boot sequence Dual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

Changing boot sequenceDual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

No problem installing,but I would like to change boot sequence to make Windows gthe default, but I really don't know how to edit the login, although it says it is editable by pressing the letter e, I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help me make Windows the default boot?

Thanks.

-question by Sy Oliven

I don't have a VISTA machine in front of me right now, but usually to change boot.ini for WindowsStart > bottom search box type msconfigThis will launch a new window where you can manipulate Windows booting sequence under boot.iniBut this is ONLY possible if you installed Windows first and then Ubuntu second (not the other way around).I have not installed Ubuntu and Vista together, but that's the usual case.There is a chance that VISTA is actually smart enough to notice another operating system if you installed Ubuntu the first. At that chance editing boot.ini will definitely ensure the booting order change.Good luck.

Try EasyBCD, if doing that on command line is difficult. It can change the boot loaders. You basically need to run grub command and change the boot order in Ubuntu. A Google search on changing boot order in grub will give informative articles.

For GRUB, just invoke the grub-set-default command. For more information on it, go here: link.