xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
networker

Instrument Recording

This is a short instrumental I wrote and recorded the other day.

It took me about an hour. I programmed a basic drum beat and

did the guitars and the bass really quickly. If anybody wants to listen

to it :

Click here!

You play guitar? I didn't think any other guitarists were on here. Not bad soloing, but I think the mixing needs some work. I'm no expert, but usually the bass goes in the center and I think it would definitely improve the sound of the mix. I'm listening with headphones and the bass is killing my left ear. Also, solos usually go front and center, because they should be mixed to stand out. I would record your rhythm track twice (not just making a copy) and put oneo n the left and one on the right. I bet it'd sound cool. Your solo seems to be perfection, you must have been practicing your licks a lot! Add some fills to your drums too, it would improve it a lot. I know you said it was basic, maybe you were just being lazy like me (I hate spending time on the things like that and prefer to just jam!) And I love the ending..reminds me a lot of my compositions. They always end like that, heh. I don't know about you, but when I'm soloing, I just go on forever and the song ends, I'm still going.. Check out my review on here about the BOSS BR-600...... I love that thing. I use it almost daily, when I'm not busy.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

You play guitar? I didn't think any other guitarists were on here. Not bad soloing, but I think the mixing needs some work. I'm no expert, but usually the bass goes in the center and I think it would definitely improve the sound of the mix. I'm listening with headphones and the bass is killing my left ear. Also, solos usually go front and center, because they should be mixed to stand out. I would record your rhythm track twice (not just making a copy) and put oneo n the left and one on the right. I bet it'd sound cool.
Your solo seems to be perfection, you must have been practicing your licks a lot!

Add some fills to your drums too, it would improve it a lot. I know you said it was basic, maybe you were just being lazy like me (I hate spending time on the things like that and prefer to just jam!)

And I love the ending..reminds me a lot of my compositions. They always end like that, heh. I don't know about you, but when I'm soloing, I just go on forever and the song ends, I'm still going..

Check out my review on here about the BOSS BR-600...... I love that thing. I use it almost daily, when I'm not busy.

Thanks for listening to it. I only recorded this little snippet, to test my new soundcard, so I really
didn't go into detail. It's just something that was knocked off quick.
You're right, the bass is to the left, just to be different.
As far as the BOSS BR-600, I bought one of those when they first began making them in 2004.
I just ended up bouncing everything from that directly to computer, so thought why bother with it,
when I could just record directly to computer. I do miss some of it's sound effects,
and emulators though. It has a nice built in mike, really good for vocals.
You could use it live, without any guitar amp, just going directly into the p.a.
I wish I hadn't sold it.

The main drawback of the BOSS BR-600 is definitely the small storage capacity. It's only like what, 128mb? I can't remember, but there's no room at all to store many full songs. It only supports 1GB cards max, I can't bring myself to buy a $60 1GB card available from Roland when they are selling 8GB cards for $20 in the computer store. Nobody sells 1GB cards anymore. I use it for a practice tool which it does really well, record a few rhythm tracks, loop it, jam for hours.. If I was going to do some serious recording, I'd probably get something more powerful. I'm not too fond of recording directly to a computer because of all the wires everywhere, and the acrobatics involved in doing anything. I'm constantly yanking my headphones out of the socket, or knocking things off the desk with a guitar, breaking my back trying to stretch and reach a guitar pedal on the floor with my hand, pulling a muscle trying to stretch that extra inch to reach the record button with the mouse. Then sometimes, I want to throw some keyboards in, I have to set it on my lap.. constantly balancing it from falling over, how uncomfortable is that! In theory, there's probably some way to organize things a little more intuitively, with longer cables but still. Organization was never my strong point.You should do some more guitar-related posts, It'd be great to see some posts like that this one going on around here more often. What kind of stuff do you play? Rock? Blues? I was working on a guitar related website actually, but I got distracted and nothing really came of it.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

The main drawback of the BOSS BR-600 is definitely the small storage capacity. It's only like what, 128mb? I can't remember, but there's no room at all to store many full songs. It only supports 1GB cards max, I can't bring myself to buy a $60 1GB card available from Roland when they are selling 8GB cards for $20 in the computer store. Nobody sells 1GB cards anymore. I use it for a practice tool which it does really well, record a few rhythm tracks, loop it, jam for hours.. If I was going to do some serious recording, I'd probably get something more powerful.
I'm not too fond of recording directly to a computer because of all the wires everywhere, and the acrobatics involved in doing anything. I'm constantly yanking my headphones out of the socket, or knocking things off the desk with a guitar, breaking my back trying to stretch and reach a guitar pedal on the floor with my hand, pulling a muscle trying to stretch that extra inch to reach the record button with the mouse. Then sometimes, I want to throw some keyboards in, I have to set it on my lap.. constantly balancing it from falling over, how uncomfortable is that! In theory, there's probably some way to organize things a little more intuitively, with longer cables but still. Organization was never my strong point.

You should do some more guitar-related posts, It'd be great to see some posts like that this one going on around here more often. What kind of stuff do you play? Rock? Blues? I was working on a guitar related website actually, but I got distracted and nothing really came of it.

I've played everything for a dollar at one time or another. What I like to play is more rock based though.
The bar scene is awful now. The people who run them expect the musicians to do it all. I should have lots of
gigs coming up soon anyway though.
Also, It wasn't the Br-600 that I had, but the BR-864. I happened to find the old box that I had for it.
For me though, I can do anything recording on the computer without that.