xisto Community
Nameless_

Creative Commons License On Trap17 I see that Trap17 is now on Creative Commons License

Before the Creative Commons licence was added to the forums, all works were copyright to you and you were providing a licence to Xisto to show them on its website. Now the content is still copyright to you but people are free to use portions of it elsewhere as long as they cite you as the source - usually by providing a link back to the original location if they are reproducing it online. Therefore, by law, people have to make it clear where they got the content from and who originally created it. The same goes if people make derivations from your work.

Personally I would have preferred the CC-by-nc-nd licence.

Very Very Good Suggestion Rvalkass... I want more opinions on which licence is to be used on Xisto. I put the Logo there because I felt it looks Cool and might scare some leeches off.

As for as Plagiarism is concerned, Copying Content is something taken for Granted on the Internet because most of the information is in the form of TEXT. Tasks like copying, pasting, saving and distributing text is basics. All of us here know that and I m damn sure every Trapper knows what CTRL+C is.

Hmm... OK then... I guess I will just leave them on the site then... :P But thank you very much though. I guess I am just a paranoid person... yeah well, because those weren't exactly discussion posts, they are similar to articles, so people can just copy and paste on their blog and not change anything, but I suppose you are right...Who is going to read it anyway? No one. :P Well, maybe one or two... should be fine though... and that is what I hope. And if they like it, they might want to come to my blog to see what I have to share as well... so maybe it is a good thing after all???:D It's not only the Creative Commons thing though. I was wondering whether to take them down way before that. :D But anyway... Cheers, Nameless_

No, you did right thing by raising this question. As later someone will going to raise this issue anyway. So as we already have thread on this we can redirect new discussion to here. So thanks to you we got different opinion on CC.My suggestion is still the same for your blog: If you are worried then it is better to use Copyscape widget or Module that don't let user copy your blog text. Why i'm suggesting this is that cause your blog is in self-help sub niche or pure (philosophy). Which may drop into rippers attention if you post any self-help topics. So instead of fearing about rippers it is better to use copy protection if you really get worried about it.

I want more opinions on which licence is to be used on Xisto.

I'd vote for the same one, if we were to stick with Creative Commons. Then again, i'm not sure if the other, non-Creative Common licenses would fit this environment.

you could do all those things without a creative common license. i am still unclear how a license of this sort is implimented with forum postings. how does a visitor know this forum is under a creative common license to begin with? also, what happens with the posts that were published before the creative common license? does the author need to put the license in their signature or something since the forum owners aren't the authors? wouldn't users have to agree to a creative common license? is it already in the terms( i haven't read them). if an author want to dictate how the post is to be handled within the creative common license, do they just do that within' the post itself? what if someone copies something from somewhere and post it on trap without it being detected. how would the creative common license come in to effect? we are literally giving permission to allow someone to post it elsewhere even if it infringes on copywrite law?

now those are my questions. i don't really see any problems with a creative common license. i am just wondering also the legalities of it and the enforceable aspects of it as well. i am wondering the benefits of it when an author can easily give up their rights on their own terms without a creative common license. i find a creative common license on a forum to be a little tricky...but on a personal website, not so tricky.

why would you want to delete them? Legally, people still have to cite you as the source. If anything the Creative Commons licence hammers this point home and will make people more likely to cite you as the original author than before it was introduced.

In all honesty if you do find someone copying your content and not citing you then you have a few options:

Send them an email/letter politely asking for the content to be removed, or adding you as the source.

Contact their hosting provider and make it clear that this person is breaching copyright law.

Make use of that evil piece of legislation (if you're in the US) known as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Speak to your solicitor.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but it just as much a legal issue as someone copying articles from a newspaper and publishing them in a book without permission for example.