xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
user681

Video Appears In Paper Magazines

The first-ever video advertisement will be published in a traditional paper magazine in September.

Posted Image

The video-in-print ads will appear in select copies of the US show business title Entertainment Weekly.

The slim-line screens - around the size of a mobile phone display - also have rechargeable batteries.

The chip technology used to store the video - described as similar to that used in singing greeting cards - is activated when the page is turned.

Each chip can hold up to 40 minutes of video.

The first clips will preview programmes from US TV network CBS and show adverts by the drinks company Pepsi.

They will appear in 18 September editions of the magazine distributed in Los Angeles and New York.

It's believed the new technology will cost much more than normal print ads.

However, BBC correspondent Rajesh Mirchandani said that in an increasingly competitive market, advertisers have realised that it is more important than ever to create attention for their product.

He likened the technology to the Daily Prophet - a newspaper with moving pictures described in the Harry Potter books.

It is not the first time that publishers have experimented with digital technology in magazines.

Last year, for example, men's lifestyle magazine Esquire published the first using e-ink technology, with a cover that flashed in alternating patterns.

E-ink is the technology used in the Sony Reader and Amazon Kindle electronic books.

Americhip, the developer of video-in-print, has also created magazine technology that appeals to various senses, including smell.

one day all magazines will be video instead of pictures....

I must be on the bleeding edge of knowing about technology, because I consider this old news. :P I think that, for the most part, magazines will stay traditional to what they are today and that advertisements will be the video content that is being demonstrated here. We might get even fancier and get interactive articles later in the future where they can embed videos to enable richer content.I don't think that this will be prevalent until at least a few years pass. Even then, only major publications would be affected. The question is, will advertisers and magazine publishers pass on the costs of "e-paper" onto the consumer? (Probably not the advertiser, but you know what I mean.)

I read an article about this kind of stuff about a month ago. I never buy e-books, due to the fact that the glare really burns my eyes. I find it quite a chore to read more than three-four pages of text on a computer screen. Amazon has really created innovation with the Kindle. People should really look into e-ink more.As for those magazines, they better lower the price a lot, becuase I don't think anybody's going to be willing to watch a video advert for $120.

I think in time paper will be replaced with e-zines that you hold like an e-reader. They will be made of flexible bio-LED screens (which exist now, they are just like sheets of acetate plastic but can be used as a tv-like display) and they will rely on an etch-a-sketch type system whereby the image to be shown is sent to the screen in the form of a pattern of charges of varying strengths and polarities to represent colours and colour density. The background will be auto set to white when in use and a small chip will connect them via the mobile phone networks (or whatever replaces that network, namely 3g) which will allow them to be updated. SO you will only buy one magazine and then purchase the content for any mag you want seperately much the same way e-readers work. I do actually think that due to deforestation and such like and all the regulations that this will be the cheaper option once the screens/media themselves come down into the $50-$100 dollar range. Here in the ul a magazine subscription costs between ?30 and ?50 depending on the mag so if you could pay ?70 for the reader and then get 6 months or even a year free then it will be well worth it. A lot of mags give away gifts around the ?20-?40 RRP range anyway so it's nothing new to them.Personally, i would prefer paper based. But who knows.

Interesting stuff it could be quite plausible that paper based magazines will be replaced by digital counterparts in the future. Although the "video in magazine" idea i cant really see how it is a feasible idea unless a company like maybe "Nike" pays for that kind of advertising, at least not feasible as how things currently stand. Its funny rayzoredge mentioning this technology seeming old news, i've heard about this sort of technology 10 years ago from local IT Magazines. But i dont think anyone should find that surprising.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

No, it is hard for me to believe that I am still alive and living. Running video in a paper print/ magazine, never imagined that I will see that in my lifetime.Technology is going wacky with now and then developments that we hear in the fairytale stories of our grandmother or in science fictions. Are there a world where you do nothing but just imagine and the same happens in reality. "I am GOD" is what the result that can be. But I have no regrets for the people who will miss such an invention nor for those who missed these ones as they will see it for real in Heaven where you get all that you want.And as for the technology of motion pictures in the magazine, it is a great concept that will be practical now. Another material that will soon be available is reuse of the same paper for daily news. The newspaper say consists of 40 pages divided into various sections and page ranges. All this technology will do is feed the news as if in real paper into the technology paper exactly per page of that day. You just open the corresponding page and the news of that day in that paper is available. The technology will save millions of rolls of newsprint daily and save the environment as well. And hail Rowling for the concept.

Another material that will soon be available is reuse of the same paper for daily news. The newspaper say consists of 40 pages divided into various sections and page ranges. All this technology will do is feed the news as if in real paper into the technology paper exactly per page of that day. You just open the corresponding page and the news of that day in that paper is available. The technology will save millions of rolls of newsprint daily and save the environment as well. And hail Rowling for the concept.

That's a much better idea than my idea for paper free magazines!

But it only works if the number of pages is the same each time. It can be less than before but never more than the maximum which is fine for a newspaper. They could offer their little insert mags/guides as a touch button where you touch an image representing the cover of the insert and the paper magically transforms its content into that of the insert. Once done you tap a button and the paper puts its new content back on the pages.

This has already been done. An old issue of Time magazine (>1 year, <2) had a video advertisement right on the cover. The video was not intensive at all, it merely had a few different logos flickering and scrolling along the screen.

On a separate note, I personally feel that video advertising in magazines is pointless. Why would anyone want to spend -more- (yes, cost does go up) to see a video -advertisement- in something that they buy to -read-?

Seems like a brief fad to me.

The first-ever video advertisement will be published in a traditional paper magazine in September.

Posted Image

This look cool. But seeing the gadget that enable the video to be displayed, I dread to imagine the thickness of the magazine. If they could improvish on it, then I think that would be the next-in thing on the print media. A marriage of the traditional and new media.As for the cost, I dont think that will be bear by the consumer. More likely, the publisher will factor in the cost and pass it over to the advertisers. Otherwise, yep, who would pay more to see an advertisement that is of no interest to them.

Wow! I am definatly not on the cutting edge of technoligy, because I've never heard of this one and it totally flabbergasts me! The leaps and bounds of technoligy today just astonds me. If as someone mentioned, this is used for commercial advertising, I am wondering about it's efectivness verses cost. I know when commercial come on TV, I usually skip them and head for the kitchen, or to check my email. I do see certain ways that these might catch on even as advertisements, if they were made to be attention getters that tweaked the readers curiosity, but it would be hard to do that with any great consistancy. Maybe a few food product ads could be cooking demonstrations, but even that would get old quick. It is pretty amazing at any rate. Especially for someone who can't figure out how to email short video's yet. lol

Posted Image

This really quite scares me, actually. We are advancing far too fast for our own good. (It might be cool, though.)