xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Anyone Ever Make A Game With Pygame? Game making library for Python

Anyone ever make a game with PyGame? (inverse_bloom?)I've been playing with it the last few days, and it's kind of fun. I've been experimenting with using physics to move my sprites around. I've never done any game programming before so this is new to me. My goal is to make a simple strategy game, turn based or real time. I'm not sure what pygame is capable of in real time animation of a full game , so I'll have to see. It seems perfectly capable of running a nice little turn based game though. I also have an interest in just making little sprites move around intelligently and realistically in a simulation type of thing so maybe I'll make a virtual petri dish of little things and call them my pets.

i never tried making a game before. i downloaded python and pygame and within the first hour, i was able to get one of the objects that came with pygame to move around. it was actually kinda fun. reminded me of my younger years when i was trying to get in to programing things with a comiler...mostly visual basic stuff, but some c+. although was fun and frustrating at the same time, too time consuming for me...whew!

from what i understand, real time will be limited in some ways but still capable in other ways. just depends what you plan on doing with it.

but when it takes me over an hour just to figure out how to move an object around, i am done :) if you ever compile a game, let me know, i'd like to take a look.

Anyone ever make a game with PyGame? (inverse_bloom?)
I've been playing with it the last few days, and it's kind of fun. I've been experimenting with using physics to move my sprites around. I've never done any game programming before so this is new to me. My goal is to make a simple strategy game, turn based or real time. I'm not sure what pygame is capable of in real time animation of a full game , so I'll have to see. It seems perfectly capable of running a nice little turn based game though. I also have an interest in just making little sprites move around intelligently and realistically in a simulation type of thing so maybe I'll make a virtual petri dish of little things and call them my pets.

Yeah PyGame can do a lot with games. Think in terms of Adobe Flash like performance. The main difference is you won't get the same level of fine anti aliasing, or the same performance with transparent vector shapes. I think i did a test once and i had up to 100 vector circles bumping around in a simulation which resulted in minimal performance loss. That was on a Pentium M 1.4 Ghz.

Pygame is capable of everything you mentioned even real time strategy, but of course the level complexity of the game will impact performance. Its capability is somewhere between a Super Nintendo and a N64 (in terms of graphics). Regarding your petri dish of intelligent things, that may take some serious commitment to complete.

You will probably need to get very familiar with concepts such as recursion, but also neural networks which i believe involves a lot of math symbols. Here is one link to get started -

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-neural/

After saying that, i think your idea for a simulation is alluring and something Ive dreamed of being able to do for a while. BTW if you need help creating sprites i don't mind being of assistance.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)