xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Rebellious Teenage Dog

I guess dogs go threw a similar phase just like human children, when they become teenagers they start to rebel, test their limits and try the patience of their parents, or in the case of the dog, their owner. I swear, my young male Komondor is going to be the death of me yet. He is still basically a pup, just over a year old, and he is in that awkward age. He is going to be a huge dog, if he ever fills out his frame, he has massive bone and a lot of body length, but right now he?s just a gawky, clumsy teenager type. Even has the teenage attitude, thinks he?s so cool and so smart. He was trying this little trick where he would sneak up behind me when I would go threw the pasture gate, wait till I turned my back to hook the gate and then jump up with his front feet and hit me in the back, knocking me into the gate, and tearing the heck out of my back in the process. Well, that wasn?t working out too well for me, so I learned to keep facing front towards him, and reaching behind me to hook the gate, all the while threatening to bop his puppy head if he jumped on me. That worked for awhile, but pretty soon he learned that if he waited till one of the older girls came up to be petted, he could still sneak up behind me and nail me when I was distracted by the female. (I think he somehow convinced her to help him in is evil plot to harass me) So I learned to watch for that sneak attack and all was well for a few days, until today, when he learned a new trick. This one involved the direct approach, with him acting all sweet and nice calmly walking up to me to be petted, then jumping with all 4 feet right straight up in the air, and in midair doing a spin, catching me with his hips, in the perfect body slam, and nearly knocking me on my butt. It?s becoming a chore to keep ahead of his new tricks. I sure will be glad when he gets older and wiser and stops being a goofy puppy. If I live that long.

If it wasn't so dangerous it would be a little funny (playing chess with the dog in such a manner). You might have no option but to tie him up for a while while you tend to things and then come back to give him some attention. What a cheeky rascal.

that is too funny. seems like the dog is trying to communicate something :) i love noticing the inter relationship bewtween anyimals and humans.i remember when i trained my dog all the commands any dog should learn. at night, i had him lay next to me when he was getting too riled up as a puppy elsewhere. he would stay next to my chair until i wasn't paying attention. then he would crawl 1 foot....stop. crawl another foot, stop crawl another foot, stop. he knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it that way. he knew i was distracted by the t.v.. anyway, next thing i know, he's 10 feet away by my bed and we start the whole thing over again. although angry he would do that, i loved him that much more because i know a puppy is meant to get in to mischief..especially free spirited animals where humans neglect that part of them.

Unfortunatly, tying him up is not an option, and he only cut's his little shine for the first few minutes after I walk out into the pasture. And since he's never even been on a leash, he would only freak out if he was tied up. He's just happy to see me and is trying to show off. Boy, he is really proud of that jump and spin trick he learned. He thinks it's great fun, today he was bouncing all over the place and spining. Wish I would of had a video camera. Reminded me of a little kid that learns they can get dizzy and fall down from spinning in circles. At least today he stayed away from me while he practised his jumps. I got payback today though. He had some hair balls growing in his ears so while he was being still and getting petted I yanked them out. I even cornered a couple of the old girls and did some hair cutting on them. It will probably be a week before I can even get close to them again, so hopefully I'll be safe for awhile. Oh, his name is Bilbo. His sisters are Froto and Pippin. Froto is the bottom dog on the tottem pole. The others pick on her all the time, she's a mess. Pippin is the smallest, a lot smaller than Froto, but for some reason she doesn't get picked on like her sister does. Right now with the 4 adults, 3 juveniles, and 7 little pups, and not very many goats, there isn't enough for them to all stay busy, when we move the goats to the other farm, I will need all the older dogs as the property there is large and plagued with coyotes. Then when they have more ground to patrol and real dangers to the goats, I'm sure they will leave Froto alone, but right now she is sure catching it. I feel bad for her.