xisto Community
eInfiniti

High School Strategy For My Child How to get ready for a prestigious university in the States

Hello. For years, I haven't bothered to think about this subject, but now my eldest son is getting close to entering high school (in the States). Please help me to put together a strategy for him so that he can get into a prestigious university in the US after graduating from high school.My son is very smart. He is especiallly good at Math. He has studied at a few different school and has consistently ranked among the top students of his class. Everyday, he will finish his work as reqeusted relatively early so that he can play without worrying about work. He says he doesn't like going to school or studying because he doesn't get to play so much. But, he does like reading and always finishes his work in time. He doesn't feel comfortable talking to adults and speak in front of a group of people or a large audience. We hope he can get into one of best colleges in the States, Ivy League or the like.So, I am interested in your advice or opinion as to what we, as parents, should do for him to help him going through high school and into college. Should we send him to a public or private high school? Can we send him to a great public high school for the low cost? What does he need to do outside of course work? What can we do to help him improve on his leadership skills? Is there anything we need to do so he can get more scholarship for college? What else ... ?Thank you for your help!

sorry to say this as i can admire your dedication to your son's schooling, but what does HE want to do? i think you should sit down with him first before inquiring about the plans you are making for his future. that is only fair as it is HID life....not yours.

my suggestion is that if he's serious about anything you are talking about, have him sign up for an account and post his issue after talking about them with you. if he's just entering high school, i am assuming he's about 15?

as far as your concerns about colleges, what country are you from? i would suggest talking to your local authorities in your own country first as they would know how to get your son in to the united states in the first place. if you want the highest education for your son, it will cost money to send him to a good private school where there would be more opportunities to participate in the academic and non academic activities that have the ability to impress the private colleges assuming he is already getting straight a's in high school. once he gets in, you are talking about a whole lot more money to fork out unless he's on a scholorship. if he plans on getting in to good schools and remain their, he can scratch his playtime goodbye as he will have to work harder and harder the more he progresses in his schooling.

this kind of life may not be for him. if money is an issue, he can always go to a jr. college after high school and transfer to a good university after two years.

but i really think you need to ask him what he wants to do. he's not even in high school yet. maybe he doesn't even know what he wants to do yet. some kids who think they know what they want to do and prepare for it for two years, change their minds. i would wait two years before even attempting to figure out what a 15 year old wants to do for the rest of his life...

if your son is as smart as you say, then please talk to him about his future and respect what he has to say...

Hello. For years, I haven't bothered to think about this subject, but now my eldest son is getting close to entering high school (in the States). Please help me to put together a strategy for him so that he can get into a prestigious university in the US after graduating from high school.
My son is very smart. He is especiallly good at Math. He has studied at a few different school and has consistently ranked among the top students of his class. Everyday, he will finish his work as reqeusted relatively early so that he can play without worrying about work. He says he doesn't like going to school or studying because he doesn't get to play so much. But, he does like reading and always finishes his work in time. He doesn't feel comfortable talking to adults and speak in front of a group of people or a large audience. We hope he can get into one of best colleges in the States, Ivy League or the like.

So, I am interested in your advice or opinion as to what we, as parents, should do for him to help him going through high school and into college. Should we send him to a public or private high school? Can we send him to a great public high school for the low cost? What does he need to do outside of course work? What can we do to help him improve on his leadership skills? Is there anything we need to do so he can get more scholarship for college? What else ... ?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Like anwiii has said, it's not really your decision. You may want your son to go to a prestigious university, but he may not want to do that. The fact you say he doesn't like attending school and studying certainly makes me think that a good university is not top of his list of life goals. You'll need to talk to him and work out exactly where he wants to go with his life. If he has an ideal job then work back from that - find out if a degree is needed, what other training, and then he can plan his education to follow that path. If he's not sure yet then let him go with what he enjoys. He will work best at things he enjoys, and they are more likely to be the degrees he'd like to do if he goes to university. Most high schools should also offer him careers advice and information on getting in to university if that is what interests him.

Do tap into what it is that your boy likes just *loves* to do, and then find a way to make $ at it... That way, he'll always love his job, will always have a smile on his face, and a skip in his step /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

Does he like putting together model cars?  Maybe he would like drafting and engineering?

Is he really fond of movies?  Perhaps he would like Drama and English literature.

Has he got a desire to travel?  Maybe he would like geography.

Figure out what it is he loves to do, and discuss with him the occupations that are related to it, going to the library together to learn how much an occupation like that would pay, and maybe scehduling an "informational interview" with someone who works in that field, so the boy can learn what it is that the person does from day-to-day, how they got there (ie. What education & certification is needed) etc.

As for ivy league schools, well... I find that the first 3 or 4 years of university is wasted on partying their new-found freedoms away, so ANY local univeristy will do (can still keep an eye on the kid, if they live at home), and when they mature and are ready to go forward after they get their bacheolor degree between the age of 21 and 25, only then will they be ready for an ivy-league school and to be out on their own, living away from mom & dad. :)