xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
anwiii

Trap17 And It's Trasformation In To The New Age the internet is always changing. will trap17?

i've been on the internet forever it seems. ever since the early 80's. i've seen many changes in how people communicate on the net. most of which are still around today but very outdated.most people hate change in their lives, but the internet has always been the exception to that unwritten rule. people seem to embrace change. they encourage it and they always want to be up to date with any changes made. we are entering a new era on the internet and how we communicate.will Xisto abrace the changes people are looking for or is Xisto going to whither away like all the other forms of communication that i have seen come and go?my motivation for this topic came when i was posting about the support xisto gives in another topic and remembering what opaque said that his time is dedicated to his servers and the operational functions.so, we have already seen what ajax technology can do and what it continues to give us. with gmail, and the new precident google has given with google wave, i feel the world has no option but to embrace the technology and expect more out of it.will Xisto be up for the challenge? as opaque stated, Xisto is still a baby. in the beginning stages, but is it prepared to change for the future to where the internet is heading now?the way i see it is that change is iminent. in the next 3 years, Xisto has a big decision to make. make no change in hopes they can keep their loyal subscribers, or change to risk it's own livelyhood which could make them or break them. either way is a risk.so my only question for opaque is this.... what are your thoughts and plans?

I keep my eyes open for all exciting things happening around and I like to think of ways in which it can benefit our forum. Presently, I am working on Windows VPS solutions and we will soon be offering those to our clients as well. :-)When it comes to Technology and embracing them to advance our functions, I am very patient in studying them before I take decisions. I agree Google Wave is very promising but its upto people in the end who will decide its fate. I still feel E-mail is a much much stronger tool which is being underestimated these days. I feel its better to stay aside as watch.If the internet advances fast and demands a change, I'm confident that we will be ready for it.

I feel that the pace at which T17 is going right now is just about right. Imagine if we suddenly got a lot of new members and all of them demanded hosting at once - that would be too much for the servers and would ultimately affect us all. The rate at which new members are coming in right now seems just right for the good of the whole community and I feel we should just move along for now. There are some changes required over all, but as you said, in the coming 3 years, the admin/staff have to decide which ones to implement.

For me, t17 is cool right now - I would definitely say yes to some changes in the future, but wouldn't want them to be too hurried.

:) obviously you haven't experienced alot of the changes and the consequences of the changes the internet has always offered. yes, i agree. Xisto is "cool" right now. that's FAR from what i was talking about. what i was talking about was the iminent change that will have to come soon or trap slowly dies.

opaque is right where patience is concerned because nobody has really implimented a new form for the forums yet. wait too long, you lose users to new technology and have to start from scratch in regaining them. start too soon, and you may be embrasing a technology that will only prove itself to be a fad. this was the whole premis of my post in which whatever direction opaque takes, it will be a risk.

i love this place and it would be nice to know where opaque's thoughts are in leading us in to the next generation of communication.

although i agree with his original thoughts in a sense, they were very vague and i for one will worry because times ARE changing.

i mean....is there money saved for r&d? does he have programmers that understand where we are heading and the new technology? can he afford any software that wont be free in the future? is he relying on open source or freeware?

it's not my intention to question opa, but to wonder if he has given this any thought and taken any precautions thus far.

on the surface, i do agree that trap is cool right now....but on a more deeper level and realistic one, trap isn't cool right now if no thought has been given to the near future.

believe me simpleton, things change in a blink of an eye where the internet is concerned. even 25 years for me seems like a blink of an eye where the interent is concerned as it is always changing and i have seen so many entities FAIL because of it.

it's so easy to say Xisto is cool right now without truely understanding the results and consequences of change.

my prediction 6 months ago when i found out about the technology behind google wave was that this technology will lead us in to the next 10 years or so. forums, which is a direct communication source can benefit from this technology. those who don't take advantage of it will be left behind only to die slow or recover from their own losses because they were too patient.

this topic, believe it or not is too important than to dismiss it with "trap is cool" right now.....seriously....bud. i suggest you give it some more thought too since i know you have been a great contributor to this place ever since you became a member.

anyway, my mind has been whirling the last few days for some reason and this topic was just one of my whirling thoughts.....

I feel that the pace at which T17 is going right now is just about right. Imagine if we suddenly got a lot of new members and all of them demanded hosting at once - that would be too much for the servers and would ultimately affect us all. The rate at which new members are coming in right now seems just right for the good of the whole community and I feel we should just move along for now. There are some changes required over all, but as you said, in the coming 3 years, the admin/staff have to decide which ones to implement.

For me, t17 is cool right now - I would definitely say yes to some changes in the future, but wouldn't want them to be too hurried.

smile.gif obviously you haven't experienced alot of the changes and the consequences of the changes the internet has always offered.

You could say that again - although I've been close to the Internet since 10 years, I've only been using in the real sense since the past four years so yes, maybe I can't really appreciate the significant changes that have been seen over the years. So the place is still kind of new to me and I'm just starting to realize the true potential of the internet....

For me, t17 is cool right now

Hmm okay maybe it's too simple to sum up what I think about trap, so I'll try to be a bit more realistic. Maybe I'm wrong but after reading your posts above, you're concerned about Xisto's position in the internet bubble. As you said things on the internet can change without a warning and the bubble may burst, as it has for many entities in the past.

Xisto has completed five fierce years in the world wide web already and we have a bustling community today, always ready to help out each other (looking for a few myCENTS in return :D ) and we also get some quality hosting for free. Compare this with other similar companies which shut down without a notice causing their users to fume over such post2host policies...We've come a long way and we have every reason to be proud about it. So, it's time to look ahead, you say? Let's do it :o

although i agree with his original thoughts in a sense, they were very vague and i for one will worry because times ARE changing.

i mean....is there money saved for r&d? does he have programmers that understand where we are heading and the new technology? can he afford any software that wont be free in the future? is he relying on open source or freeware?

it's not my intention to question opa, but to wonder if he has given this any thought and taken any precautions thus far.

on the surface, i do agree that trap is cool right now....but on a more deeper level and realistic one, trap isn't cool right now if no thought has been given to the near future.

Hey we have one bright side to look at - we made it through the recession! :D (Bad) Jokes apart, I will be looking forward to the answers to these questions that you posed - OpaQue mentioned in a thread how he felt about the running of the company - he confessed that he too, like many others, had intentions to close it down. But he didn't and he's done well and is continuing to do so even today. So I'm very hopeful that OpaQue indeed has some backup plan for the future even if something were to go wrong.

Speaking about money, we have quite a few members who pay for their hosting (I'm considering that option too in the near future) and the ads are hopefully bringing in enough to support our ever-growing community. As for programmers, doesn't the "evil group" speak for itself :D They're surely doing a lot of stuff in the background...

And finally talking about adapting to technologies like Wave, I guess I'm not too well-aware to speak about things like that. I just think for the whole community to adapt to things like that, it will certainly take some time, and in the meanwhile it will be clear whether that new tech we're speaking about is just a fad or really very useful.

I think my thoughts are also kind of whirling - I don't really know what I've said till now :) So I'll stop for now and wait for the others to respond.

Well I agree that some inventions, are great such as Google Wave, but I think we are learned with traditional ones, and new ones which may be interesting and funny need time to enter in our Internet tradition. I always check Google New products but never use most of them, just some of the most important such as G Adword, G Adsense, GA and some others. These are everyday check lists of my life and I never used Google Sites at anytime.

Well I agree that some inventions, are great such as Google Wave, but I think we are learned with traditional ones, and new ones which may be interesting and funny need time to enter in our Internet tradition. I always check Google New products but never use most of them, just some of the most important such as G Adword, G Adsense, GA and some others. These are everyday check lists of my life and I never used Google Sites at anytime.

There are always two kinds of people - one who jump and try out every new thing that comes their way and the others are those who always wait to see what the effect of that product is on everyone else. It all depends on what kind of person you want to be :)