xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inverse_bloom

Take A Joy Ride!

Has anyone been for a joyride in the cockpit of a small Cessna or helicopter? Its actually not too bad. I used to be in a youth air league where we would learn about aircraft, we'd have marches, etc. On my first joy ride i went in a Cessna for 30 minutes, not a bad experience the motor was buzzing away while we flew over a few suburbs in Adelaide.

My second experience was better, i accompanied a pilot in a motorized glider. That was great, the height was probably maybe 2/3's of a typical sky dive. The pilot let me hold on the wheel for a few seconds, but to be honest I gave control back to him too shortly. 

I really would like to have a joyride in a helicopter, you know, the ones the allow for a large amount of visibility. I reckon those small ultralights would be good fun, here is a pick -

https://justinohms.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/mosquito.jpg

Depending on which location you pick, hand gliding would be quite exhilarating. Beats having your head loped off by a bungee cord!

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Sorry, not my idea of a joy ride. I decided years ago that I didn't want to get any higher off the ground than my horse could throw me. Having landed from that elevation on numerous occasions, I came to the conclusion that that was definatly high enough to be off the ground.

I'd surely like to get on a helicopter for a "joy ride". That would really be exhilarating and I'm only waiting for the opportunity to get aboard! I've been on an aeroplane only a few times and you don't get any real view from in there - helicopters would offer a truly beautiful view from above so I can't wait to get on one soon :)