xisto Community
Dak1ng

Drive Format Problem My hard drive wont format completely

Ok, I wanted to install a new version of XP on my computer, but when i format the drive with the install disc, it keeps pausing at 84%. I did this 3 times over, but it simply wont work. Help please!

Hmm.. I'll suggest you try formating using a Linux distro like UbuntuIf its a hardware problem , Ubuntu will fail as well, Otherwise Your drive will be formattedSometimes, The XP cd version of formatter is not so reliable. :( where did you find this new version of XP Plus, It takes a lot of time doing the formatting, while Ubuntu only takes 30-40 seconds.I just put up a 1 TB drive and Ubuntu formatted it in seconds, Windows was showing hours just to format a 200 GB :)Hope this helps

Dak1ng, disconnect such hardware like, your Mouse, external DVD Drive etc. These are some hardware components that will make your formation fail. Unplug some USB cables from your system, restart and try again. See if that works. :)

Format it using a third party software, so you won't have to format the drive when you're installing XPI'm not sure if XP installation CD demands to format the drive whether it's empty and already formatted or not, but it's worth trying.EDIT: Somehow those managed to reply faster than me :) Sorry for providing info that you were already provided with.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't work... It just pauses at 84%. Ubuntu "freezes" too. I can't really disconnect it because its a laptop, so i still may need help...

Uhh, I don't have the money for a $250 hdd... still trying to work the problem out...

If it's a hardware problem (and it sounds like it might be) then your only option is to replace the hard drive with another one. If you know the manufacturer of the hard disk then go to their website and see if they have any diagnostic tools available. Most manufacturers let you download a piece of software to CD which you run as the PC boots, like a live CD. It'll check your hard disk and let you know if there are any problems. If your drive is SMART-enabled you can also use that information to get advice about the health of your hard disk.

Ok, thanks. Though, I think that buying a new hdd IS my only option, so I guess I can upgrade my hdd to a higher size and get a working hdd at the same time..