xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Buyer Beware Buying a car tips

Last week we finally found another used car like we had been looking for. Just in the nick of time I might add, as that day we drove home from starting the deal our old car rolled over to 290,000 miles. (the clutch is starting to slip, and it's using a little oil, though surprisingly not too much given it's age.) My first impression of the deal was just how easy it was. To be honest, I didn't figure we would be able to get the credit to buy the car. I had checked not too many months prior to this deal with my local bank about a loan, and couldn't get one there, despite the fact that I had loans there before, but not for quite awhile. We didn't have to show proof of anything, no pay stubs, no bank account information, basicly nothing. Even our credit aplications looked pretty blank, no employers information to fill out, (I'm self employed) no previous loan information to fill out. (we nearly always pay cash, haven't had a loan for quite a few years) Despite the ease of getting the loan, anyone who finds themselves in this situation needs to be aware of certain things. the car lots will try to get to you if there is any way they possibly can. Be absolutly sure you read the information they work up. ALL of it. They tried several things on us. Fortunatly, we didn't just fall off the turnip truck and caught them before we got the shaft. First thing they did was attempt to write up the paperwork with their asking price, which was $600 more than we actually paid for the car. The next trick was to figure out our payments on the total price we gave for the car, leaving out the downpayment we made. And if all that wasn't enough, when they mailed us the paperwork and title to get car tags, they had put their original asking price on it, which would of cost us over $50 more in sales tax before we could get the car licenced. Had t make another trip all the way back to the big city to get that corrected. So, I'm sure you've probably all heard it said time and time again, READ THE FINE PRINT but it truely is a very important thing to do.

I've never heard a car lot trying take so many steps to rip someone off as this case, thats a bit low in my opinion. Obviously they dont give a hoot about reputation unless your surrounded by dodgy car yards in your area. I dislike the business of purchasing any a car, you can't believe "anything" the other says about it, but you pretend to play along reserving what you trully think. I haven't dealt with an honest person yet when it comes to buying cars, yet they get offended if you indicate anything they say sounds a bit shoddy.

It certainly did seem a bit excessive didn't it? But actually, it is a long time established new car dealership. Hardly the place you would expect such shananagans. You just never know do you? Perhaps it was just a unusual coincedence, but it sure was a few too many maistakes on just one transaction.

Hi!I noticed a significant difference between vehicle prices when moving between cities - the cities where the property rents are higher work the extra expense into the price of the vehicle so you can just drive over to another city, buy the car and drive the new car back while getting someone else to drive your old car over (or whatever works for you - hitch a ride, catch a cab, take a bus, then pick up your new car).