xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
.:Piper_2051:.

Bagpipes: Musical Instrument Or Instrument Of War? What do you think?

Bagpipes: Musical Instrument or Instrument of War?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just like this debate. Ive had pastors of churches tell me that I can do my job as a piper, when hired for a wedding, because the Bagpipes are an instrument of war, but according to the church, any instrument that gives praise or glory to god is able to be played IN the church.I would like to know what everyone else thinks, and break down any preconceptions that may be out there about this topic.

The bag pipes are a musical instrument. The whole reason they were used on battle fields is because of the natural loud volumethat they have. That combined with the portability of the instrumentmakes them ideal to encourage an advancing army . Regardless, I've never really been a big fan of the bagpipes anyway.I mean, you have what? A seven note range? A Piano has at least an84 note range. A guitar at least 41 notes . The bagpipes seem pretty limiting.I also hear most bagpipes come with only a single drone, which should limit you to just one key right?I just find bagpipes too limited in scope for me.

well I will admit I was the one that voted of war. wow was I ever wrong on that one. after searching Google I found out no, it was not used for war. Even though I bet some people wanted to start one after hearing a bad bagpipe player lol . Here is what I found

http://www.celtic-instruments.com/errors/error404.html

Bagpipes are a musical instrument. I don't see how any rational person could have anything against bagpipes because they were used on battlefields. Drums were frequently used and nobody thinks they are evil, then again, I haven't asked the opinion of those pastors.I think the bagpipes are a beautiful and unique sounding instrument. I don't know why so many people dislike them, though I bet it's because they are VERY loud! Bagpipes could be considered limiting, but I wouldn't think of them as such. Not every instrument has to be a church organ to be appreciated. Sure, traditional bagpipes, heavy metal bagpipes, funk bagpipes, country bagpipes might sound the same, but they still add a unique touch to songs that can't be had any other way. (Okay, synths don't count!). Do you ever play non-traditional pipe music, Piper? Like, ACDC? I can't think of any other rock songs with bag pipes.. but I'm sure I've heard some!

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

The bag pipes are a musical instrument. The whole reason they were used on battle fields is because of the natural loud volume
that they have. That combined with the portability of the instrument
makes them ideal to encourage an advancing army .

Regardless, I've never really been a big fan of the bagpipes anyway.
I mean, you have what? A seven note range? A Piano has at least an
84 note range. A guitar at least 41 notes .

The bagpipes seem pretty limiting.

I also hear most bagpipes come with only a single drone, which should
limit you to just one key right?

I just find bagpipes too limited in scope for me.

mostly correct and I appreciate your imput, however; regarding the use, sound yes, portability ok, but also because it stirred the blood... the tunes chosen would be ones of the clan or regional favourites for the occasion. There are a total of 9 notes, Yes limited but the variance between them can be adjusted to acheive almost any effect by tuning, embelishments and combinations of notes (timing and scalic). As for the "One Drone" theory you have proposed. there are 3 on each set of Great Highland Bagpipes; 2 tenor and a Bass, they are however tuned for a smooth humming sound adding to the amplification of sound and complimenting the actual notes. THe total sound is affected by so many variants that it can act as a signature for bands, or solo competitors. As for key, very limited only due to what most bands or solo competitors taste is. mostly A sometimes E (best of my knowledge but im not a real big music theory kinda guy).

well I will admit I was the one that voted of war. wow was I ever wrong on that one. after searching Google I found out no, it was not used for war. Even though I bet some people wanted to start one after hearing a bad bagpipe player lol . Here is what I found
http://www.celtic-instruments.com/errors/error404.html

they were actually used in every war where the instrument was, as previously stated, to fire up the troops (compounded with the drums) as a battle call/call to arms.

Bagpipes are a musical instrument. I don't see how any rational person could have anything against bagpipes because they were used on battlefields. Drums were frequently used and nobody thinks they are evil, then again, I haven't asked the opinion of those pastors.
I think the bagpipes are a beautiful and unique sounding instrument. I don't know why so many people dislike them, though I bet it's because they are VERY loud!

Bagpipes could be considered limiting, but I wouldn't think of them as such. Not every instrument has to be a church organ to be appreciated. Sure, traditional bagpipes, heavy metal bagpipes, funk bagpipes, country bagpipes might sound the same, but they still add a unique touch to songs that can't be had any other way. (Okay, synths don't count!).

Do you ever play non-traditional pipe music, Piper? Like, ACDC? I can't think of any other rock songs with bag pipes.. but I'm sure I've heard some!

country bagpipes would be cool, if the only time Ive every heard it wasnt Amazing Grace etc lol.

Actually as for modern Rock (and classic) there are many options/examples. Dropkick Murphy's are a Boston Punk band that has been doing it for 11 yra or so. as well as personal friends of mine, the Mudmen (harder rock/metal).

As for AC/DC, Bon Scott was a HUGE fan; so much so that he learned to play them and actually implemented it in "Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock & Roll)" .

As for what I can play, I am able to play DKM/Mudmen stuff, Thunderstruck is quite popular (has even been used in competition by world class pipe bands) and a buddy of mine transposed "Last Kiss" into a huge Pipe Rock anthem... a personal favourite of mine to play when just screwing around is Crazy Train by Ozzy... true story lol kinda easy.