xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
-Sky-

Nvidia Geforce 8800

Posted Image

Redefine your gaming reality with NVIDIAŽ SLI-Ready GeForceŽ 8800 graphics processors. The worlds first DirectXŽ 10 GPUs feature a powerful unified architecture that delivers an incredibly true-to-life gaming experience. Power through games at record speeds. Charge through game maps with vividly realistic, sun-up to sun-down HDR lighting effects. And crank up 16x full-screen anti-aliasing without missing a beat.

Available Models: GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 GTS, GeForce 8800 GT and GeForce 8800 GS

I cannot wait to get this Graphics Card tomorrow! :P

I just wanted to discuss this cards capabilities! If anyone has Grand Theft Auto IV and are running an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS/GT graphics card, PLEASE give some screenshots of your game. They are very helpful to me as I'd be able to see the differences. PLEASE do not use any Graphics/texture changes somewhat like ENBSeries. Please do not use this in your screenshots. A video uploaded to YouTube would also help me. :P

If possible, please also do the same with GTA San Andreas!

Thank you.

I'm not familar with that card or the basis and whatnot, but I'm assuming you run games on your computer? How much improvement does this make compared to the card most computers come with. Sorry if this sounds kind of stupid, but I was actually trying to get a computer game from Best Buy and the guy who worked there was telling me how I needed a better graphics card, so I ended up not buying the game.

Thank you for your reply bk, and it's very nice to see you posting! :P Missed ya. :)It really depends on what kind of game you wanted to purchase. If say, for example; GTA IV, Crisis, Dead Space etc...you'd need a card that can handle the effects and the graphics. The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS that I am getting today (YAHHOOOO! :P) will be able to run GTA IV, however my PCs processor wont be able to handle the games performance very well. Though I don't care. :) If your using ATi, then I have no idea. I only use NVIDIA, and only have experience with that card vendor.I am not asking for support with the card, I just want some sample screenshots of your games and how awesome they are looking. IF you have the card in which I mention, then please take a video of your gameplay! :P I don't care about the performance, that I can improve myself. :)-Sky.

What kind of card is this? Is this 512mb graphic card. if I buy a new computer(I'm going to buy a new pc soon) what will you advice me to do? I mean, what graphic card should I use?

For one, make sure that new computer has at least one PCI Express x16 2.0 slot (1.0 if the motherboard is too expensive, since 2.0 is backwards compatible, assuming you're going to be building from scratch). Depending on your needs (wants) you may not need to buy a separate graphics card. However, if you're going to be doing heavy gaming, get a graphics card that is at least 600mhz for its core clock with at least 512mbs of memory. Currently, ATI out performs Nvidia in specifications; however, Nvidia has better card drivers—bad card drivers can decrease performance. Also make sure that the power supply unit will have enough energy to support the graphics card on full load. If you're going to be buying from name-brand companies, like Dell or HP, et cetera, then you may need to upgrade the PSU. Many (if not most) graphics cards today don't require more than 100 watts. Also, not all cases will provide enough room for all graphics cards. If you have (or are going to get) a mid tower case, you will most likely not be able to use the most recent graphics cards currently out on the market, as they can reach up to 11 inches in length.

In that case fusion, I hope my computer's motherboard will take this card. :P Unfortunately, still not got it yet (my Mom said my Dad is too busy..clearly wasn't :P) but eh, we've now scheduled to get it this Friday afternoon. Me and Dan (my brother) are going down to our local Game shop today to buy GTA IV! :P Hope it all goes well. :) Might have to get a new CPU too. (processor)

That's quite an old Graphics card you want to buy there, I have seen some new Nvidia online for about that price or less. Why go for such an old card when you can get a newer one for less? It doesn't make much sense.

@Ash-Bash: The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 is still a considerable graphics card, especially when running two of them in SLI. I'm sure that with all of the awesome graphics cards out now, you can grab these for pennies compared to what you are paying for current graphics cards. Some of us do have something called a budget, ya know. :P Ash-Bash does have a point, though, Sky. If you haven't bought this yet, consider throwing in a few extra bucks for something better and more future-proof, or wait a bit longer.

Also I have just found this link online: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ It should narrow down what you want to use a Video/Graphics card for but make sure you get a newish one I mean it will only be another ?5-?10 more but worth it with all the extra things they come with now.

Yeah, well..I have ?195 to spend. My Graphics card is in a nearby computer retailer shop in Coalville, Leicestershire. That is now ?39. GTA IV will be costing me ?40, and an external HDD I don't know how much.For me to be getting both my GFX card AND GTA IV, that's costing me altogether, ?79 leaving me with ?116 left. So in my case, that is quite expensive. And the rest of my like...1 and a half thousand pound goes toward my Holiday money.

Just to help you out from the Western front...

Tom's Hardware: Graphics

TH has an extensive knowledge base on graphics cards and has benchmark results for tons of games and tons of information on most graphics card chips. I highly recommend you take a look there before making any final choices.

Tom's Hardware: Best Graphics Cards for the Money (Sept. '09)

The NVIDIA 8800 GTS will run you ?39, which is roughly $65 USD. You have ?155, which is roughly $256 dollars to spend after purchasing GTA IV. Let's take a look at your choices, using TH for your research base.

For comparison purposes, the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (512MB) will set you about $70 USD. For the Fallout 3 benchmark (1680x1050, x4AA, x8AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 59.3 FPS. At 1920x1200 with no AA or AF, it runs at 71.1 FPS. For the Far Cry 2 benchmark (1920x1200, 8AA, 16AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 16.5 FPS.

If you decide to go with the ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB), it will set you about $100 USD. For the Fallout 3 benchmark (1680x1050, x4AA, x8AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 54.6 FPS. At 1920x1200 with no AA or AF, it runs at 64.4 FPS. For the Far Cry 2 benchmark (1920x1200, 8AA, 16AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 9.6 FPS.

If you decide to go with the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (512MB), it will set you about $130 USD. For the Fallout 3 benchmark (1680x1050, x4AA, x8AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 71.1 FPS. At 1920x1200 with no AA or AF, it runs at 82.8 FPS. For the Far Cry 2 benchmark (1920x1200, 8AA, 16AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 11.1 FPS.

If you decide to go with the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1024MB), it will set you about $150 USD. For the Fallout 3 benchmark (1680x1050, x4AA, x8AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 76 FPS. At 1920x1200 with no AA or AF, it runs at 85.9 FPS. For the Far Cry 2 benchmark (1920x1200, 8AA, 16AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 31.9 FPS.

If you decide to go with the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (2048MB), it will set you about $230 USD. For the Fallout 3 benchmark (1680x1050, x4AA, x8AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 73.8 FPS. At 1920x1200 with no AA or AF, it runs at 84.6 FPS. For the Far Cry 2 benchmark (1920x1200, 8AA, 16AF, Very High Quality), it ran at 30.40 FPS.

I took those cards straight off of the best bang for your buck. Now we can take a look at what we'll get if you decide to deviate from the 8800 GTS.

I think that we can be safe with taking out the ATI Radeon HD 4850 because, for some reason, you'll be paying more for a performance decrease, with any gains being negligible for the price hike. Thus, we're left with the following options:

Pay $60 more for the ATI Radeon 4870 (512MB) for about a 25-33% increase in overall performance and bring DirectX 10.1 to the table.

Pay $80 more for the ATI Radeon 4870 (1024MB) for about a 30%-43% increase in overall performance and bring DirectX 10.1 to the table.

Pay $160 more for the ATI Radeon 4870 (2048MB) for about a 26%-38% increase in overall performance and bring DirectX 10.1 to the table.

NVIDIA and ATI both bring their separate proprietary technologies to the table. (PhysX is one notable addition to NVIDIA. I'm not too knowledgeable with ATI. The 8800 GTS is apparently capable with PhysX, although an initial Google search makes it seem like it's a headache to do so.)

Ultimately, it's your money and your call. On a strict frame rate level, paying almost double for only 25%-33% of an increase is kind of dumb, but if you're going to keep this video card for a few years, maybe it would be a good idea to future-proof yourself so that you're not lagging in other games you want to play as soon as next year.

UPDATE:

OK, so I went to the Computer Retailer store today, I purchased an NVIDIA GeForce 8400GSSuper 512MB/Dual-Link DVI/HDMI graphics card. I get home, I try install it - Guess what... - turns out I can't use it yet. :) (well I could, but the fan on the card would not work and the card would burnout fairly quickly :P...so I am not taking the risk. Common sense really), but the card is a DDR2 64B CRT DVI HDMI card.

My Motherboard can actually support DDR1 to DDR4. Anyways, I get home and try install it, though I don't have a 4-pin connector socket on my board. Although my new Graphics Card is PureVideo HD, I want to try it with GTA SA. But I can't at the moment...so I have to stick with Onboard graphics for now.

Anyways, here are some pictures I took on my Camera.. (in attachments) Yes, it may suck to Ash, but he's just idiotic.. :P

Comments?

EDIT: If your going to say "what a crap card...get a newer one" then don't bother replying.

post-67096-1256316065_thumb.jpg

post-67096-1256316071_thumb.jpg

post-67096-1256316084_thumb.jpg

post-67096-1256316091_thumb.jpg

post-67096-1256316097_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Sky- (see edit history)

What a crappy card... :P

NVIDIA 8400 GS, eh? What happened with snagging the 8800? Was it not available?

One of the things that I would have personally done was to aim for a graphics card with at least 512MB of RAM and GDDR3 to future-proof myself... but then again, that's me, plus I don't know how much money you really wanted to spend. (I know that prices can be daunting when you have a budget nagging in the back of your brain...)

You're going to have to tell us how it performs, because Tom's Hardware doesn't even have it on their benchmark comparison list.

As far as that cheap shot at Ash-Bash goes, he may be a cocky one, but he's not idiotic, as far as I can tell. :P