xisto Community
-Sky-

Pm Captcha For 2.3x

Hey all.I downloaded this mod from DevFuse.com. It's a modification which adds a Captcha to the Personal Messaging system. Hopefully it'll hold back the bots from PMing useless spam to members...PLEASE Admins, don't disregard the suggestions of modifications I am posting to help the forum. Please install this, and hope the bots get blocked from PM spamming us members with useless rubbish.

_IM__Messenger_Captcha_v1.2.zip

I think that would be good too but as far as I know there are programs that bypass captcha by automatically reading the characters on it. I'm not really sure how this would help us (I understand the theory behind it, but whether or not it would ring true is uncertain).I guess it couldn't hurt to try though. If it didn't help, it could be removed.

I think that would be good too but as far as I know there are programs that bypass captcha by automatically reading the characters on it. I'm not really sure how this would help us (I understand the theory behind it, but whether or not it would ring true is uncertain).
I guess it couldn't hurt to try though. If it didn't help, it could be removed.

Yes there are but usually bots aren't using that avoid system.This would help us but i haven't see any spam in my Inbox.But i don't know if there are spammed people,i think there aren't.Why to disturb admins only for captcha when we haven't special problems with spamming,they should focus on problems with Domains/Hostings and now,our problem are myCENTs.

Yes there are but usually bots aren't using that avoid system.This would help us but i haven't see any spam in my Inbox.But i don't know if there are spammed people,i think there aren't.Why to disturb admins only for captcha when we haven't special problems with spamming,they should focus on problems with Domains/Hostings and now,our problem are myCENTs.

I doubt there's an issue with MyCents. It's just a delay. Quit worrying about it.

As for spam, I've gotten spam but not in PM's, in email... Mostly "my father is the so and so of xxx country and has $10 million he gave me but I can't accept it so I want to transfer it to your bank account. Please give me all of your personal information and your bank account information so I can transfer your $10 million immediately. I chose you because I think you're special." types, lol. And of course, that was a paraphrase. Theirs are always full of typos/grammar errors.

I wouldn't post this if I knew we didn't get Spam PMs. I get spam bot PMs all new members with 0 posts regarding spammy "relationships"...they can get lost lol. :P

I don't think this mod will work, at least for too long. The bots that spam PMs are new "members." The registration of this forum has a captcha itself, and we still get some PM bots in here anyway. If this mod doesn't use a more complex captcha than what is used for the forums' registration process, then this may be a wasted effort and perhaps a small annoyance to non-bot members.In the end, though, we can't compete against actual humans with mere captcha.

Could set up a maximum number of PM's over X period of time. Kind of like what they do with gaming to keep the bots and farmers from spamming everyone to death with messages.

Or you can simply forward the spam PM to a Mod and they can deal with it. That seems to work okay. We rarely have repeat offenders. And there are IP Bans that can be put into effect when they come back.

haslip, if that's the case (bots getting past the CAPTCHA codes) then why don't we make some ourselves....? the captcha images are located in the files so why not make some codes ourselves, see what OpaQue thinks and do what ever OpaQue says if he likes the idea. It's common sense to think of making your own CAPTCHA codes, and is not copyright by IPS, so we can do that if we want to.

haslip, if that's the case (bots getting past the CAPTCHA codes) then why don't we make some ourselves....? the captcha images are located in the files so why not make some codes ourselves, see what OpaQue thinks and do what ever OpaQue says if he likes the idea. It's common sense to think of making your own CAPTCHA codes, and is not copyright by IPS, so we can do that if we want to.

As i know captcha codes aren't files,they are random texts and how bots will find them?But again,we can make our own captcha,,but i don't know where we will store the letters from the image...We can't use input (because simple can be hacked),or cookies...But we can try after creating random image,to make new file called hcode75757gfs.2.2ha.txt or whatever,but secretly,and if code is correctly,send message and remove file so other people can send messages,if no,change the file with new letters.The only problem will be if 2 people are sending message at same time :P

Why administrators is not responding? Captcha is very good system which prevents bots from spamming.Really i don't know how captcha works and how can form get the characters from image without reading mysql base or text file.And bots usually aren't posting in the forum so i think we can make PM's link to be hidden for users which aren't posting.Other thing we should do is to prevent from writing empty posts and only links.That will be hard because empty() php function can only help us for empty spaces but what about other codes like alt+0160...Anyway i beleave that captcha will help us,but we need admin response.

I think it would be great to install this. Though we do all hate typing in weird words in a box its better than getting your PM box spammed every 3 days with PM's about some girl from Africa that would like to give you $50,000.Which do you prefer?Thought so the mod it is :P.

I think it would be great to install this. Though we do all hate typing in weird words in a box its better than getting your PM box spammed every 3 days with PM's about some girl from Africa that would like to give you $50,000.
Which do you prefer?

Thought so the mod it is :P.

Yeah, though most just delete and block them. It's really annoying to keep having to delete and block the new PMs, it gets on my nerves a bit too. I guess now we wait for OpaQue's suggestion/decision for this suggestion. You never know, he may deny it, he may approve of it. No one here on Xisto likes my suggestions, not fair! I am hated! :P

:)
Edited by -Sky- (see edit history)