xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
user681

Microsoft Office 2010 Ed To Be Ad-supported MICROSOFT

As part of Office 2010 software that will be pre-loaded by the PC manufacturers on their PCs, we're introducing Microsoft Office Starter 2010. Office Starter 2010 is a reduced-functionality, advertising-supported version of Office 2010, available exclusively on new PCs. Office Starter 2010 will provide new PC owners with immediate exposure to the Office 2010 experience on new PCs right out of the box.

More info could be found here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office2010/

what are your thoughts on this?

Sadly I still find OpenOffice to be a better choice. Compatible with all of MS's formats and in a free-ware setting. No advertisements either.Microsoft really needs to break down at some point and drop into the open-source settings like some others have.

huh? ad supported? well i still stick with open office because it has no ads and has a good features still :Pwell i will still use this rather than that with ads..

Lol this is really funny - Microsoft is already losing a lot of sales to piracy and if they tinker with such ideas then the popularity of office will decrease which will directly impact their sales! I think MS is concentrating more on ads as it aims to achieve success similar to Google - but that's a really difficult task for MS and it's best if they realize it soon.

Lol this is really funny - Microsoft is already losing a lot of sales to piracy and if they tinker with such ideas then the popularity of office will decrease which will directly impact their sales! I think MS is concentrating more on ads as it aims to achieve success similar to Google - but that's a really difficult task for MS and it's best if they realize it soon.

This is a good point... Their sales loss due to piracy is probably what brought on the ad-supported versions. This is because ad-supported can't really be "pirated" and therefore they are making money off the advertisements from *everyone* who uses their program.

Not to mention you could previously get an older version of the software and just never upgrade it. This would also be decreased revenue for them. But with ad-supported every user = more money.

I'm just wondering how well the ads will play out in terms of their profit.

Ad supported can be cracked however.

*Anything* can be cracked. But a lot less people would care if it was just ads in return for a free program. It's more of a "well, I'm giving nothing but I'm getting something" mentality. Although there are ads it's still free.