xisto Community
Nameless_

Email/domain/hosting Question Thread (not Drupal)! So you guys can answer more... but keep the replies coming&#

OK... oops, sorry. I'll make a new topic/thread if you want...

But the title DOES have a "domain" on it... and the questions ARE related to domains...

Question: Is it possible to park my domain at a place and then redirect it to my hosting account?

Because apparently if I use a free subdomain first, then I will have to call for support when I want my main domain to be http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ instead of http://www.myname.hostcompany.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t, and I don't want fuss. But if I order my domain first without the hosting package, then where will I point my name servers? That means that I will also have to contact and send in a support ticket to change the name servers.

Isn't there an easier way to do things like that? It's a wonder how people manage to link a top-level domain to their hosting company without any problems...

Question: Is it possible to park my domain at a place and then redirect it to my hosting account?

Yes it is possible. For this you can update nameservers to that of hosting companies address. So that when you type domain in browser and send request. You'll be redirected to the hosting company. This is because of nameservers pointing to hosting service. You can do this setting in Xisto - Support.com/billing area. There is option to update nameservers from there. (*Provided that there is no lock on domain-you can lock/unlock domain if you've purchased from xisto domains).

Yes it is possible. For this you can update nameservers to that of hosting companies address. So that when you type domain in browser and send request. You'll be redirected to the hosting company. This is because of nameservers pointing to hosting service. You can do this setting in Xisto - Support.com/billing area. There is option to update nameservers from there. (*Provided that there is no lock on domain-you can lock/unlock domain if you've purchased from xisto domains).

OK, thanks for all that... I'll buy the domain first thing in the morning when I wake up (it is night here) and I will point the nameservers to the default ns.computinghost and ns2.computinghost nameservers, and when I get the hosting package that I will get (a new one), I will link the domain there and send in a support ticket to change the nameservers - and unlocking the domain before hand, of course. Great.

Is that right?

(I do hope the myCENTS system is up and running soon... I don't like the fact that my domain may possibly not make it through the buying order process due to this myCENTS problem, which may also affect the actual "virtual" cash in my Xisto's billing and support client area and therefore maybe letting me "buy" the domain but not use it for some certain functional problems or something like that.)