xisto Community
phpphp

Relationship Between Religion And Sprituality?

I find that religion is the brush, and your spirituality is the paint. With a religion, you can weave it into whatever masterpiece you want, taking from a pool of good will, kindness, and belief, that we call spirituality. But I think it might be more complicated than my little analogy can encompass, because that does not explain atheists, agnosts, In all honesty, I have felt that a religion is a mold for ones spirituality, and yes, some times a religion can help bring a communal sentiment together, intertwining with culture and inter-personal behavior, but there are also instances where religion can be harmful. Some times, I feel, religion has a way of narrowing our scope of things, and disallowing us from certain thoughts that might fall under the delightfully vague term of 'heresy.' If, without religion, we had some way to bring out the spiritual goodness in each other, and avoid the forced beliefs and controvertible assertions, I think we would be a lot better off.

I find that religion is the brush, and your spirituality is the paint. With a religion, you can weave it into whatever masterpiece you want, taking from a pool of good will, kindness, and belief, that we call spirituality. But I think it might be more complicated than my little analogy can encompass, because that does not explain atheists, agnosts,
In all honesty, I have felt that a religion is a mold for ones spirituality, and yes, some times a religion can help bring a communal sentiment together, intertwining with culture and inter-personal behavior, but there are also instances where religion can be harmful. Some times, I feel, religion has a way of narrowing our scope of things, and disallowing us from certain thoughts that might fall under the delightfully vague term of 'heresy.' If, without religion, we had some way to bring out the spiritual goodness in each other, and avoid the forced beliefs and controvertible assertions, I think we would be a lot better off.

i would concur with much of what you said in the last sentence, despite the fact that i tend to identify with a much more atheist approach to life. having grown up in a very tolerant christian home, i was lucky enough to have parents who were able to distinguish religion from spirituality. they were also very open and accepting of whatever decisions i made in my own life which allowed me to develop the opinion that i now have. for awhile i leaned more toward the spiritual side of things, simply avoiding the religious doctrine but as time wore on... i found myself being interested more within the little things in life, life's beauty as it is. i suppose this quote really formed much of who i became in time:

I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.
- Carl Sagan, In The Valley Of The Shadow (1996)

Spirituality is the view that hold supremacy of the consciousness or spirit over matter. Different views are there within the domain of spirituality, some says that matter and spirit are separate entities, some says that matter is spirit and some others says that matter is unreal and only spirit exists.Religion is a practice of some of the above and many other philosophies so that a desired goal, liberation to say, is attained. These are different roads, suited to different classes of people. As one hat do not fit all, one religion may not fit all intellect.I would like to bring your attention towards a religion, to be precise a religious philosophy, originated in ancient India known as "Charvaka cult". They holds that matter is the supreme truth and the term spirit is used to denote the physical body only. It is material pleasures that we must seek for and there is no such a thing like god beyond this body. But this view is only in the history of religion in modern India. I know that some groups of rationalists are still promoting these views.

What about the relationship between spirituality and meta-physics? One can not deny that their is a vital link between the two, many of us are blinded by a false sense of reality and are unable to see this link.

What about the relationship between spirituality and meta-physics?
One can not deny that their is a vital link between the two, many of us are blinded by a false sense of reality and are unable to see this link.

Just so I can chime in on the subject, could you put a good definition to both spirituality and meta-physics?

Just so I can chime in on the subject, could you put a good definition to both spirituality and meta-physics?

I can try:
Spirituality - a sense of being connected with a larger whole.
Meta-physics - a branch of philosophy that deals with 'fundamental truths' about 'being' and 'knowing'.

Neither of these is exclusive to relion or the religious - many atheists are deeply spiritual, and I include myself in that. Likewise many rationalists have no problem with metaphysics - you can't use physics to make judgements on moral behaviour (though it might help inform any decision).
The problems are with pseudo-science (non-science pretending to be science) rather than metaphysics.

I include myself in that.

so you deny the existance of god, but you are spiritual? how does that work? i consider my own self spiritual who doesn't follow any one religion. funny thing is, my spirituality doesn't revolve around science. so i am curious how someone can believe in science without question and be spiritual at the same time....

so you deny the existance of god, but you are spiritual? how does that work? i consider my own self spiritual who doesn't follow any one religion. funny thing is, my spirituality doesn't revolve around science. so i am curious how someone can believe in science without question and be spiritual at the same time....

Most religion is so limited I can hardly describe it as spiritual at all. I defy anyone to look at the universe and not feel awe, wonder, astonishment. If they don't then they haven't thought it through. The chances of me being alive are so incredibly remote that my luck in being born at all is mind-bending. Then there is the sheer immensity of what there is to know, the beauty of symmetries and fundamental relationships, the still largely unexplored wonder of consciousness, and the awe inspiring results that arise from apparently simple rules. Thats the point really - I don't need to believe - that is for intellectually lazy people. I can do the maths and check what I accept. I don't 'believe' in evolution, for example. It doesn't require belief - it would be like believing in telephones - I know that telephones exist so no belief is required.

To wrap that up as God and visit it on Sunday is a negation of what it is to be human. We are born wanting to know and we should take advantage of that impossible good luck to learn as much as we can, whilst remembering to pause and admire/wonder now and again.

Posted Image

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

Spiritualism is not bound by religion.Religion is belong to individual life.But spiritual is teaching about whole humanity.In religious life u live for yourself only And in spiritual school of thought the life means to live for others.

Religion is to believe in this very concept that there is someone who is omnipresent & omnipotent above us who is keeping in view that what is right or what is wrong & we need't take revenge for any wrong deed done to us,just that we are the sons/daughters of that great almighty & whatever happens to us good/bad there must be some reason behind that.Keeping this proper faith in the almighty is religion. Now every religion provides some own unique way of achieving spirituality or attaining what we call as Moksha/Mukti in Indian context like Hinduism,Budhism or Sufism e.t.c But all these ways are somehow the same as they all lead to one goal of attaining bliss.

I find the notion that someone else can forgive sins done to me to be deeply immoral.If you accept an omnipotent creator then you have some serious questions to answer about suffering. A look over the history of mankind - say the last 100,000 years - indicates to me that if there is any omnipotent being out there, it has a warped sense of morality that I want no part of.