xisto Community
Nameless_

How Do You Install Wamp? I installed Xampp but didnt know how to use it, but I cant u

@Nameless, Before you install Wordpress. Take a look at this tutorial for setting up things for wordpress. In this tutorial leave the XAMPP installation part aside and focus on wordpress installation part.

Also LOCALHOST:8888/newstacks/wp-admin/install.php

This path looks wrong, i guess HTDOCS folder(as XAMPP have it, name could be different with MAMP) should be there in MAMP where you need to copy wordpress. You don't need to install wordpress under custom newstack folder. And as Apache is installed and shown in error page as you've reported here. That means there is no problem with the MAMP installation.

The requested URL /newstacks/ was not found on this server.

The issue here is with the wordpress directory not in the accessible folder (htdocs) for MAMP. Take a look at this tutorial. (This tutorial will solve most of your problems related to wordpress installation, so read it). and copy wordpress folder in htdocs, and not in newstack folder.

About Coda part, Coda is IDE that lets you edit and work with multiple programming languages. Instead of Coda, you can try Eclipse, textwrangler, textmate,Intype, Netbeans etc.

Also i've noticed that you need to learn a bit about the operating system(in this case Mac OS) as well. You can't jump into depth of programming without knowing operating system. You'll likely to hit plenty of walls this way if you don't know about Mac OS. So read few introductory tutorials of mac os. read few tips and tricks of mac os.

Oh my god mahesh2k, you're the best! :lol:

Now both the webserver AND wordpress worked on my computer.

The downside to this is that I can't find a way to rename the "wordpress" folder in the "htsdoc" folder in the MAMP application folder to something else, so that means that I don't think I'll be able to get two blogs running at the same time, because they'll both have the same name and it won't work, because when you go to

LOCALHOST:8888/wordpress/wp-login.php

,you can't log in unless the folder itself is named wordpress...

So for example:

When I changed the folder name to "Newstacks",

LOCALHOST:8888/newstacks/wp-login.php

worked, but I couldn't log in because once I do, it will automatically go to

in which it wouldn't work, of course, because no such folder exists, now that I've changed it's name...

Any help on that?

Also, I'm looking for a good wordpress theme, or maybe even make one myself.

I want it to be paper themed, and layered (like, lots and lots of layers of paper), because it's about "stacking" interesting newspaper articles.

Any help on that? Are there any good theme recommendations?

Or if you suggest creating a theme myself, can you explain to me how to create a theme and what I need in order to do so? I've got like, a whole week before camp to get it ready and done with, so I've got a whole week's time to figure it out.

Apparently you have to change themes often to get in time with the latest wordpress version, so I don't know who will update the template themes, and if you have to update them yourself by dabbling with the template's code, it would be better to create the template yourself, and I've already got my own ideas of what my template will look like should I really ever do the template myself.

Thanks.

The downside to this is that I can't find a way to rename the "wordpress" folder in the "htsdoc" folder in the MAMP application folder to something else, so that means that I don't think I'll be able to get two blogs running at the same time, because they'll both have the same name and it won't work, because when you go to

Wrong approach. Concentrate on running one blog at time first. you can run two blogs at time on MAMP. Just download wordpress multiuser software and use it. Everything is same. in one directory you've wordpress and in another wordpress-mu.

LOCALHOST:8888/wordpress/wp-login.php,you can't log in unless the folder itself is named wordpress...
So for example:
When I changed the folder name to "Newstacks",
LOCALHOST:8888/newstacks/wp-login.php
worked, but I couldn't log in because once I do, it will automatically go to
in which it wouldn't work, of course, because no such folder exists, now that I've changed it's name...
Any help on that?

Correct way to go here is not to edit the default wordpress directory name. If you want to run two blogs. install another installer like MAMP and have wordpress in it. and start the services only when needed. cause if you try to mess with single directory of wordpress and edited it then things will start to break. and you'll find yourself correcting it rather than creating something from it. not a good approach if you are after blogging and designing.

Also, I'm looking for a good wordpress theme, or maybe even make one myself.I want it to be paper themed, and layered (like, lots and lots of layers of paper), because it's about "stacking" interesting newspaper articles.

Good wordpress themes are scattered on internet. Though you can find good themes on official wordpress theme gallery. Or try sites like Blogohblog. Also I find K2 theme easy to modify and learn. Other than that if you've professional inclination from blog/site then consider purchasing theme like "headway,thesis" etc. For starters you can download free theme from Performancing themes site.

Or if you suggest creating a theme myself, can you explain to me how to create a theme and what I need in order to do so? I've got like, a whole week before camp to get it ready and done with, so I've got a whole week's time to figure it out.

I don't suggest creating your own theme as of now. Cause you've lot to learn from php/css perspective and you've to find your way to basic mac troubleshooting as well. Because of this we have two way to do things. first download a theme and modify it look different. another is buy theme and make it look different. Try downloading simple looking theme and modify css to change background color, title and post color etc. Once you're comfortable with it. Go ahead and do some more modifications. Also sometimes free themes have ads on footers or their own plug at the footer. So what you can do in this case is modify their footer and remove their ads. start modifying themes this way.

Wrong approach. Concentrate on running one blog at time first. you can run two blogs at time on MAMP. Just download wordpress multiuser software and use it. Everything is same. in one directory you've wordpress and in another wordpress-mu.

So, what is the "wordpress multiuser software"? What does it do? How does it work? Where do I install it? (Sorry for all these questions... :lol: Not that I need the wordpress multiuser software now, but it's better to know and learn now and have a vague idea when it comes to me actually creating another one.

Also, does it just rename the wordpress folder to "wordpress-mu"? What if I need three blogs? Does it become "wordpress-mu-mu"? Then let's say I want lots and lots of blogs... (well, hypothetically...)

How am I meant to know the difference between "wordpress-mu-mu-mu-mu-mu" and "wordpress-mu-mu-mu-mu-mu-mu"?

Correct way to go here is not to edit the default wordpress directory name. If you want to run two blogs. install another installer like MAMP and have wordpress in it. and start the services only when needed. cause if you try to mess with single directory of wordpress and edited it then things will start to break. and you'll find yourself correcting it rather than creating something from it. not a good approach if you are after blogging and designing.

So, I install multiple MAMP servers? Won't that take a lot of time and space? And how am I meant to know which MAMP application folder is which? Also, I don't think that the other webservers work... I know Xampp and WAMP doesn't on a Mac, and I don't think there are lots of webservers out there for a beginner like me for free...

Good wordpress themes are scattered on internet. Though you can find good themes on official wordpress theme gallery. Or try sites like Blogohblog. Also I find K2 theme easy to modify and learn. Other than that if you've professional inclination from blog/site then consider purchasing theme like "headway,thesis" etc. For starters you can download free theme from Performancing themes site.
I don't suggest creating your own theme as of now. Cause you've lot to learn from php/css perspective and you've to find your way to basic mac troubleshooting as well. Because of this we have two way to do things. first download a theme and modify it look different. another is buy theme and make it look different. Try downloading simple looking theme and modify css to change background color, title and post color etc. Once you're comfortable with it. Go ahead and do some more modifications. Also sometimes free themes have ads on footers or their own plug at the footer. So what you can do in this case is modify their footer and remove their ads. start modifying themes this way.

OK, thanks... I'll have a look at "Performing themes". I won't be able to purchase a theme right now because I'm not allowed to use money on the internet, which is why I'm on Xisto in the first place. Let's say that I found a theme that I like. How do I get around to applying it on my webserver-hosted blog and how do I edit and modify it?

So, what is the "wordpress multiuser software"? What does it do? How does it work? Where do I install it? (Sorry for all these questions...

I guess you're going ahead too much unnecessarily. :lol:. Anyway, for now i suggest please stick with one blog and wordpress installation. This is to avoid confusion between wordpress installation and to save your time from breaking things off. Also for your records "wordpress-mu" is wordpress multiuser software. and No, you can't play with it's directory names. It will break lot of things as of now for you. So avoid renaming default installed directories. You're breaking a lot of things that way.

So, I install multiple MAMP servers? Won't that take a lot of time and space? And how am I meant to know which MAMP application folder is which? Also, I don't think that the other webservers work... I know Xampp and WAMP doesn't on a Mac, and I don't think there are lots of webservers out there for a beginner like me for free...

Not MAMP everytime exactly. You've MAMP installed now. try and use XAMPP or other web server in that case. Make sure only one of them is running at a time. i know it will have lot of space and stuff. But you want to play with multiple wordpress blogs. so you've to take that pain. Seriously, i don't suggest these. Start seriously working on one blog at timefirst, design theme and work with wordpress on your own computer before uploading to server. Multiple wordpress installation and stuff/is just confusing you right now. and it is not needed as well. you're working on too many things and focusing on nothing. This way, you're diverting from many things.

OK, thanks... I'll have a look at "Performing themes". I won't be able to purchase a theme right now because I'm not allowed to use money on the internet, which is why I'm on Xisto in the first place. Let's say that I found a theme that I like. How do I get around to applying it on my webserver-hosted blog and how do I edit and modify it?

No problem. People are on Xisto even if they've money, they're just here cause of community so no big deal in it. You can download free themes and install it in directory "wordpress/wp-content/themes/~name of your theme~. Now don't confuse with that last title" name of your theme " it means the one that you downloaded. You've to install and edit the theme in the path i've mentioned here.

No problem. People are on Xisto even if they've money, they're just here cause of community so no big deal in it. You can download free themes and install it in directory "wordpress/wp-content/themes/~name of your theme~. Now don't confuse with that last title" name of your theme " it means the one that you downloaded. You've to install and edit the theme in the path i've mentioned here.

OK, thanks... I won't bother with other stuff first. I always think too much ahead and end up losing my initial target and purpose. So thanks for keeping me on track.

How do I edit the theme in the path?

Also, can I like, start blogging now and then upload it onto the Xisto webserver later? Or can I only start blogging after I start the hosting? Because it will be cool if I can start blogging right now and by the time it gets online it will already have a few articles in it and that it's not empty and stuff...

And can I blog and then change the theme? Or do I have to choose the theme first? How do the themes get updated?

(That's all for now... :lol: Too many questions. Thanks...)

How do I edit the theme in the path?

You found that path ?and copied your files ? if so, go to your wordpress and login. after that your installed theme will be showing in the list of installed themes under themes section. In order to see that go to left hand sidebar link "themes">from list of themes, you'll see the one you've just copied in that path.

Also, can I like, start blogging now and then upload it onto the Xisto webserver later? Or can I only start blogging after I start the hosting? Because it will be cool if I can start blogging right now and by the time it gets online it will already have a few articles in it and that it's not empty and stuff...

Yes you can start blogging now. but if you blog on your home's server. it will not be visible to us. your home server is meant for your theme and wordpress testing only. so continue your blogging on blogger as you're already doing it. once you get enough of credits to get Xisto, you can upload your theme and migrate your blog from blogger to wordpress. this is also possible you can google for tutorial.

And can I blog and then change the theme? Or do I have to choose the theme first? How do the themes get updated?

Yes you can. it is always good to start blogging and improving themes as you move ahead. You can modify themes on your home computer with MAMP on and then later upload to the themes directory of wordpress. and after that go to themes section of wordpress and select the newly modified theme. this is how themes are updated in wordpress.

Yes you can start blogging now. but if you blog on your home's server. it will not be visible to us. your home server is meant for your theme and wordpress testing only. so continue your blogging on blogger as you're already doing it. once you get enough of credits to get Xisto, you can upload your theme and migrate your blog from blogger to wordpress. this is also possible you can google for tutorial.

Oh... I like, kinda permanently quit that after I tried downloading the webserver so I could blog on my webserver and THEN upload the webserver copy of the blog to the Xisto webserver... but it seems like you can't do that. So I'll continue with the blogging on blogger after like a one week gap. :lol:

Not that it matters for the time being... And thanks, I'll search for google tutorials for the blogger to wordpress transfer too... Still looking for a good theme, but I'll mail you or post here if I encounter anymore problems, Thanks. :P