xisto Community
rob86

Burn Cd Images In Linux With Ease.

You often want to burn CD images in the computer world. In Linux is a breeze with the "cdrecord" program. Simply start up your command line terminal, and type this in (no $)

Step 1.

$ cdrecord -scanbus

This will show a list of your devices. You want to make a note of the group of numbers in the first column.

CONSOLE
rob@desktop:~$ cdrecord -scanbus

scsibus1:

1,0,0 100) 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DW-D22A ' 'BYS1' Removable CD-ROM

1,1,0 101) *

1,2,0 102) *

As you can see, in my case, what I need to note is 1,0,0

Burning a CD is this simple, you type:

Step 2.

cdrecord dev=1,0,0 theimagename.iso

Replace 1,0,0 with what ever your scanbus results show! You can use wildcards such as * in the filename as well for even greater quickness.

Step 3.

Wait until it's done.

Tip: you can use -v as an option to get a more verbose output, if you're interested or need to troubleshoot.

cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 theimagename.iso

No need to use a bloated GUI, this is much quicker and simpler! Don't be afraid of the command line! :lol:

I hope you don't need assistance, because that's really all I know! I did a little research on the command so I could burn a linux OS image without downloading a program and it worked great, so I figured I'd share the tip. There was one thing I didn't mention. If you have on verbose mode (-v) at the end it will give you a little report cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 10000 times full, min fill was 93%.If the FIFO was ever empty, I think that means the CD got corrupted somehow. If the percentage is low, I think that means you should shut down some running programs to prevent ruining the cd. I've only burnt one image with the command, so I'm no expert :lol:

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Now to present a GUI version of burning CDs with ease... :lol: I think the CLI is the most intimidating part of Linux that drives most potential users away, even though we as computer users should at least be exposed to what happens in the background, hidden away behind our window managers. :P Can you recommend a good GUI CD/DVD burner?

When I was looking for a way to burn images, K3b seemed like the preferred GUI burner for most people. I haven't tried it myself, I haven't tried ANY linux cd burning software myself. I was going to try K3b but it was going to take a few hours to download all of the dependencies, so I went with the command line. I'll try it some day. I've only been using linux a little while! :PI think the command line is one of the greatest things in linux. You can type $ man bash in the CLI to get a huge manual on how to use the command line. I think you'd have to be really desperate for entertainment though, it's about 5000 lines long of commands and command attributes. I haven't read a single line of it! but I saw somewhere that it was recommended every linux user read it entirely. :lol:

I'm actually one of those weird people that actually don't mind the command line, but when it starts getting ridiculous with having to specify a hundred switches which can be taken care of with a few clicks, checks, and balances with a GUI, I start to lean towards using a GUI. :lol:

There are Linux cheat sheets available all over the place, but I don't think that most people would actually use the majority of them. Most are rather redundant, depending on how you do things and what you have installed. For example, there's a million ways to edit a document by utilizing the Terminal: gedit, vi, nano, kwrite, etc. You could probably get away with only knowing the basics, in the case you have to do some fancy finger work on the keyboard to do something as simple as copying or editing files to/in folders that require permissions (with sudo) without having to actually log in as root.

Nice work. But I'm actually too lazy and use the programs included in Ubuntu/Linux, etc to burn my ISOs :lol: Sometimes I use that method but I AM NOT too commandline friendly as when I tested Sun's VirtualBox, I had some trouble in installing the Additions. After it worked I was like "Miracle!"

I'm trying out another Linux distro and this came in very handy to burn the cd image. I had to search for this post to refresh my memory on how to do it. The knowledge is as useful today as it was before! It was much easier to find this post than to search google again. Great post, self! :)

Indeed, that is one of the benefits to belonging to a Forum like this. When you find something useful, write a Topic or Post or maybe a full tutorial and the information is readily available from your list of Topcs/Posts.No need to store stuff on your own machine or worry about finding the method again later.And I still have not tried this out yet. I haven't had any need to burn anything. When I do needcit, I know that the information about Linux CD burning from terminal will be here.

While i've known about this command-line tool, i normally use Xfburn or Brasero when i don't want to install K3B (due to its KDE dependency). The only thing i don't like about Brasero, though, is how it integrates with Nautilus. I would prefer it if it ran in its own, separate application window—though, surprisingly, Nautilus has its own CD burner extension; attempting to install it through the repository requires the removal of Brasero.