xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Do You Like Your Desktop/windows Fancy, Or Simple? Performance or Aesthetics.. that is the Question..

I just installed my video card driver in Ubuntu (it was so easy too, why did I try to do it the hard way before??) and enabled the "Extra" graphics effects for the GNOME desktop. Wow! Wild. It looks very impressive. It's really cool how everything bounces around and changes shape. I've customized XP a lot, but never had anything like that.I'm wondering if it would drive me crazy when the new-ness wears off though. I'm not using Linux for much gaming, so the hit on performance won't be too bad. So the question is, how do you like your desktop? On Linux or Windows, it's not a OS specific question though you can refer to Gnome's special effects if you want.Do you like it really visually appealing, with every special effect option enabled and great skins? Or do you like it plain and simple and think the special effects are nothing but an annoying gimmick.I've always ended up going with the plain and simple look, though I often go through short phases where I want my desktop environment to look great. I'm thinking my liking of Gnome's Extra FX will be short-lived once I get tired of it.

I like my eye candy too much to give it up for an increase in performance. Even though WindowBlinds is a resource hog, I have it on every Windows XP install. I guess I don't have to explain much when I spend a few hours trying to activate video acceleration with Ubuntu to get Extra Visual Effects to work with the infamous 'nix cube and showcased windows... :lol: There is such thing as too much, though. I like a clean but "pretty" look for my operating systems. :P

I like a clean, simple, yet stylish wallpaper. It can't be so cluttered that it makes it hard to read the text on my shortcuts of course, but I do want it to make my computer stand out. Right now, here's a picture of my desktop:

Posted Image

(For anyone who doesn't know, the little dude on the right side of the screen is the Pip Boy guy from Fallout 3.)

As you can see, it's stylish, but it provides a good platform for desktop icons. As you can also see, I only have two of those. I have everything I need in the start menu, so I don't feel the need to have it all in plain sight at all times. I like my desktop clean, so that I can run applications and games in windowed mode without too much distractions. Anyways, that's my preference. :lol:

For me, I would definitely like my desktop to be useable. Too simple lead to uncomfortable usage is not a good idea. Too stylish lead to performance issue is also a definitely a no~no. I dont really know how should I express this. See my desktop as an example.

Posted Image

Running windows vista here

everything is easily located. No extra software or whatever.

Dear friend I think I don't like any other theme apart from the default one and if necessary I only change the wallpaper nothing else as ?I have seen that many a themes created problems or I should say malfunctioning of the OS so ?I never liked these themes.?

fancy desktop is nice but i don't need it at all.. all i want is a simple desktop who will get through my expectations the speed ...i don't need a fancy desktop if it will only make my computer slow.. all i want is an OS no matter what

@post 1 Trust me rob86, try out wobbly NOP you might like it!. Its only a 100+ meg download and one blank cd. Wobbly NOP contains compiz fusion on puppy linux (with easy access to office application downloads through pupGet). Really is kick butt, you can also turn it off easily if it gets in the way of productivity. Only issue though is the current version of Wobbly NOP is based of puppy 2 or 3 i think... but not the modern 4 release. Im fairly sure you can get puppy 4 and use a configured installation to get it to wobble. The 27 or so meg file is contained on the same page as wobbly NOP full download.Try it people!, i cant see why youd regret spending a little time trying out a light weight OS with high level effects, its just a very cool notion. As always you can run puppy from live CD or install onto USB.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I just installed my video card driver in Ubuntu (it was so easy too, why did I try to do it the hard way before??) and enabled the "Extra" graphics effects for the GNOME desktop. Wow! Wild. It looks very impressive. It's really cool how everything bounces around and changes shape. I've customized XP a lot, but never had anything like that.
I'm wondering if it would drive me crazy when the new-ness wears off though. I'm not using Linux for much gaming, so the hit on performance won't be too bad.

So the question is, how do you like your desktop? On Linux or Windows, it's not a OS specific question though you can refer to Gnome's special effects if you want.

Do you like it really visually appealing, with every special effect option enabled and great skins? Or do you like it plain and simple and think the special effects are nothing but an annoying gimmick.

I've always ended up going with the plain and simple look, though I often go through short phases where I want my desktop environment to look great. I'm thinking my liking of Gnome's Extra FX will be short-lived once I get tired of it.

I think I am just like you. I get into fancy things all of a sudden and get tired of it after a short while. When your computer is new or you have installed a new operating system or installed a new graphics card then its natural to go for new and fancy things.When I got my new PC about 6 years back, I tried each and everything eventually corrupting my windows several times, especially themes would spoil some of the OS files and then it was difficult to restore every thing to normal.
But always get bored and annoyed by the fancy things after a while switch back to simple and plain look because thats the best for what your OS is configured for and it must be true that I love simple and uncomplicated things.