xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
maxfire

Left-handness

Today I was reading a news report on the BBC website about a study that was investigating the differences between left-handers and right-handers. Towards the end of the article, it said that left-handers are more likely to be in a car accident because they are thought to have poorer spatial skills. This makes a lot of sense to me because my driving lessons were a complete nightmare!!!

I was always driving too close to curb or to parked cars on the side, It was difficult for me to judge spaces on the road. For example, I couldn't tell if I could pass oncoming cars safely on a small road.

on the other hand, it seems left-handers have an advantage in some situations. The same website reported previously that left-handers are better in certain sports like boxing because "opponents simply do not expect a left-hook". This also makes sense to me because whether I'm playing cricket, tennis or other simlar sports, I usually last longer than my opponents since I always hit the ball in unexpected directions.

One thing I hate though is when using gadgets like cameras and I have to hold them in an awakward way. The mouse I'm using right now is a right-hand one that I ve to constantly move to my left.

What do you think? Do left-handers have an advantage or are they in disadvantage? what are your experiences of being left handed (if you have any)?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4242419.stm

My son is lefthanded and the poor guy is so clumsy, my other boys and I are right handed, but Im just as clumsy *blushing* Hes great in sports basketball, arts, music, hes very active. I do think lefty's have an advantage when it comes to their artistic skill. Hes pretty good otherwise, you would have to look hard to notice that he is a lefty.

be ambidextrous, to get the best of both worlds. :D (i'm a rightie, though)

i am left handed and hate writing, your hand ends up smugging the ink or hits the coils of a notebook. as well i find i have adapted to a right hand lifestyle, have to shift with right hand and use joystick and stuff with right hand, but i still write with my left. so most of the time i can be 'amidextris' or w/e its called (both handed) which is an advantage in some sports. i think a left handed person is much better with their right hand in situations than a righthanded person would be with their left, because we are somewhat required to use our right hands

It's "ambidextrous" and Gamecube controllers have the buttons on the right side, and joystick on the left. N64 had it in the middle, easily accessible by both hands. Lefties shouldn't have trouble writing. They sell left handed spirals, or better yet, right on loose-leaf. I'm working myself to ambidexterity but it's a lot harder than it seems. I'm still not quite good enough to write a term paper with my left hand but it's definitely a lot more legible than it was. And about the sports - baseball can be especially good for ambidexterity.

I guess being left handed would screw you up... I dunno. They've got a lefty cult where I live which isnt normal, but the people seem to function well enough, i suppose. Hmm. Many of my friends are ambidextrous,l and they get on quite nicely.

I am sorta ambidextrous; I write lefthanded, but throw and catch righthanded. My left is my "me-time" hand too (sorry; just saw the episode of Scrubs with JD refering to this). Still throwing like a girl with my left, and illegible handwriting wth my right, but I'm not really interested in doing either with the "wrong" hand. It's fine like it is...I CAN work the mouse flawlessly with either hand though. Handy RSI-prevention strategy, that is...

I've been left handed my whole life and it hasn't screwed me up yet. :D I'd say the toughest thing is using kitchen gadgets like the hand can opener and certain spatulas. It took a couple of days, but I can use the right handed mouse just fine.I figured out a way to write when I was a kid that keeps the ink off of my hand. Some people say it looks silly, but have you ever seen how a lot of lefties will curl over their hands into a really unnatural looking way? What I do is I turn my paper completly sideways (with the left margin facing up) and instead of writing from left to right I write from up to down. No ink on the hands, and no bad posture from crouching over the paper.

I'm right handed and am happy as I am. I have tried to get my left to be stronger and more agile then it is for the fun of it, but I never really stick to it....In general I have good coordination, but I haven't really tried enough to bring my left up to speed as you might say, but it doens't seem to hurt me too much.I think Southpaws are cool....just because it's different. I think as for advantages, it really about equals out in the end. IYou have certain advantages to being right-handed, and certain to being left-handed. As it's not something you choose, I don't really think it's something to dwell on, though it would be cool to be completely ambidextrous.

Hahaha, I love that episode. Hell, I love any Scrubs episode :DI'm a bonafide righty. Anything you stick in my left hand will fall right back to the ground. If I'd worked at it when I was little, I'd be a lot better about it. But since I play piano, my left hand's slowly becoming independent and soon...soon we'll see if I can make myself ambidextrous :D

Well I don't really believe that, I think it just depends on every individual despite whether they are left handed or right handed. Anyway I wouldn't know, but I'm left handed... I think it's cool to be a left hander since it's not as common as being a right hander. I actually have more arm control on my right side though, like aiming/throwing/punching etc... I pretty much am only strong with my left hand for writing.

most left-handed persons have very beautiful penmanship. they are also very good in paintings ang drawings, well, most of my architecture professors are left handed. but i also have friends who can render and paint very well though they are not left-handed.

I play cricket with both hands and left hand i used to bowl with ..i can even write with left hand but hand writing gets worst.and i once kept my mouse on left hand side to try.anyway left handed ness isnt bad one.