xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Installing A Modem On Ubuntu Linux

I haven't installed Ubuntu yet (still working on clearing enough space on the 'ol hard drive) but after trying the Live CD I have a feeling installing my modem on it is going to be a hassle! I'm using an ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem which is a Dial-Up modem. I've found some tidbits of 5 year old information suggesting that this modem is/was surprisingly supported in linux but that's it, just little bits of information and dead links.

Can anyone help me find a driver for this modem and let me know how to install it? I'm looking all over the place for something and I don't even know what I'm looking for!

I found a link here, http://tx.technion.ac.il/~raindel/ , which looks promising and up to date. It doesn't have any mention of Ubuntu, so I don't know if it could be the right thing or not.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Hey Rob! Ubuntu supports a large variety of devices, including modems and I'm sure yours is supported automatically as well. I didn't install any drivers for my installation of Ubuntu, and it automatically recognized my modem. If you're planning to install Ubuntu, make sure you go for the latest 9.04 version, or better still, wait for another month because version 9.10 will come out soon.Configuring your connection is a tricky process because if I'm not wrong, it's different in different places. Try googling "connecting to <ISP> in ubuntu" and you should find the procedure for connecting. (Insert your ISP name - for ex. i would search for "connecting to bsnl in ubuntu") make sure your modem is switched on when following the procedure. Do tell us if you find it ;)

I googled connecting to my isp (Aliant) but there wasn't too much information that I could use. I was looking for something in Ubuntu that would let me input a username phone # and password for my ISP, but I couldn't find any settings like that so I think I must be missing an installed modem. I don't know, but I'm stuck! I was trying to run this ScanModem thing, but I couldn't figure out how to navigate to the file in the terminal. I have the scanModem thing on my external drive, which I can access okay through the GUI file explorer, but I guess it can't be run like that because it just opens up in a text editor.

Edit:

On the instructions for one of the drivers I was going to try it told me to type "su" or something. When I type this, it asks for a password. I don't have a password to give it and any one I try fails. I apparently have two users on my Ubuntu install. "root" and "rob". I don't seem to have access to the root user, since it's always greyed out and I don't have a password to log in to it and use "su".

Linux is a strange beast to me.. I don't know my way around it at all. I hope I can get internet working on it, because it's kind of useless to me without it.

Simpleton: I didn't install any drivers for my installation of Ubuntu, and it automatically recognized my modem.

Pfft ;)

Edit #2:

Another amendment to my post. I figured out that I had to use "sudo". I ran the driver setup, and it output this log.

checking for running kernel version...2.6.28checking for gcc...4.3.3
checking for kernel gcc version...4.3.3
searching for kernel includes...found at /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include
checking for autoconf.h...checking for kernel version in utsrelease.h...UTS_RELEASE is 2.6.28-11-generic
checking type of tty_struct.count...int
checking for presence of udev...present
detecting your modem...found. Your supported modem is of type: ess 125d:2898

compilation done

installation done

Well I don't know if that's good news or not, but I don't see a big "FAILED" anywhere in there. Problem now is, I have no idea what to do next. The installation instructions don't continue past that point. The instructions say it does everything including creating a /dev/modem link.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next? I looked all over (again) for a place to input a phone #'s and user name but I can't find anything. I've looked at guides and they tell me to go to Sys-Admin-Networking, but I don't see Networking in there. I see Network Tools, but that doesn't look like the right thing. I saw something else in "System-Prefs" that was about network connections, but I didn't see anything there either. Either way, I don't see the word "MODEM" in any of them.
Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Argh! I finally figured out how to install NetworkAdmin and was able to input my isp phone # and username etc.. I clicked OK, the modem started dialing normally, I was starting to feel very happy, thinking I finally succeeded, and then the modem stopped dialing (thats normal). I tried to use Firefox... but no connection. Tried Pidgin..no connection. Talk about disappointment! I'm starting to get frustrated! I have no idea why it didn't work. I've been trying to get internet on Ubuntu all day! ;) Linux is Fun! :P

Hey guys, I got it working! I'm surfing Xisto on Ubuntu! Woohoo! It's kind of clunky though, I' m using wvdial which is a terminal window that I have to keep open. I tried GnomePPP but I was getting an error ---> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.I had no idea how to fix that. I'll have to look around.It's kind of weird on dialup, Ubuntu doesn't really support dialup connections because a lot of things don't seem to work right. Ubuntu apparently doesn't realize I'm connect to the internet, so Pidgin won't even attempt connecting. It just says waiting for connection. Hmm..It's sure great to not have to reboot constantly though.

"Not detecting modem"Installing A Modem On Ubuntu Linux

Hello,

I am using samsung mobile to connect internet in windows but I want to use ubuntu 9.10, but it is not detecting my mobile modem my model number is "samsung s3310 gt metro"  I installed wvdial and checked but there is no response it is not showing my modem

It only shows "ls usb" when I connected my data cable in usb port 

Please tell the suitable way to connect my mobile or install modem in ubuntu 9.10 

-reply by Baabu Aravind