xisto Community
rob86

Dual Boot Winxp And Ubuntu

It could always have got damaged in the post, or your drive could have read it incorrectly. I'll happily burn you a CD and check it first if you want, but I don't know how long the post takes from the UK to Canada ;)

Success! - I checked the integrity of the same disk and it passed, so I went through with the installation again. This time the installation finished without error. No idea why it failed before, but it's installed now anyway.

Now all I need is an internet connection on it and I'll be all set. Sure wish I knew how to do that. It's kind of useless without an internet connection!

The updates on that part of my linux adventure is going on over here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/68046-installing-a-modem-on-ubuntu-linux/

..and believe me, I think I need help!

Hey , here is a way in which you can keep both your operating systems completely separate.

In this way your operating systems won't even know the presence of other operating system.

For this you must know how to connect your internal hard drives to your computer and of-course you must have more than one hard disk and in your case you have more than two.

So here's how we do it.

1. Open you computer and disconnect you hard disk which has XP on it.

2. Now restart your computer with the Ubuntu disk in the CD drive.

3. Ubuntu won't detect any OS as the disk containing the OS isn't connected.

4. Now follow the instructions to install Ubuntu. For partition choose manual and if you want your Windows

XP to recognize the partitions you can give the file system as NTFS except for the boot partition.

5. Finish installation and reboot.

6. Turn off open your computer attach again the drive containing your Window XP.

7. Now go to your Bios setup and give the disk preference according to your choice of OS which you want your computer to boot into by default.

8. Whenever you want to boot into other operating system just at the time of POST press the appropriate key which gives the boot menu allowing you to choose the media to boot from.( In my case its F8). Choose the appropriate drive and you boot into the OS you want.

Note : you won't be able to see Ubunto system files in Windows but you will be able to see and do whatever with windows system files in Ubunto. So be careful.

Best of luck.