xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Firefox Awesome Bar Is Truly Awesome.

One Mozilla Firefox feature that I really like is the AwesomeBar. I have a few extensions installed to enhance the AwesomeBar, unfortunately I installed so many I'm not sure which does what. One is called Awesome Options and the other is called Smarterfox. I think they both contribute to the Awesomeness of the bar. I never used it too much at first, only to re-visit pages I recently visited. I wasn't aware of the power of this little bar until a week or two ago. It searches my entire history and bookmarks and finds exactly what I'm looking for, even if I barely remember anything more than a few letters of the page title. What isn't in my history, it searches Google for and within seconds, the link I'm looking for is there. I don't even need to look in my history, bookmarks, or even Google again. All I need to do is type in the AwesomeBar. It works by "Frecency" showing the most relevant links at the top, and it definitely works.I saw that many people dislike the Awesomebar and disable it, why anyone would dislike it I cannot fathom.Here are some extensions I use to enhance the AwesomeBar (they're easy to find, just search on Mozilla Firefox Addons)Awesome Options - Improves the awesome bar, specifically the searching.Smarter Fox - Gives Awesome bar the ability to search google.Fission - Makes the Awesome bar a bit more colourful by turning into a page loading progress barFlagfox - Shows the location of the website and in my opinion, just looks really great being there.Locationbar - Gives the AwesomeBar a bit more colour and makes it clickable.URL Fixer - Fixes common typing mistakes.X marks. Bookmark manager, gives the awesome bar more search functionality

+1 on the Awesome bar.I'm probably just used to it now, but I'm starting to notice (thanks to you bringing it up) that as soon as you start typing and as you continue typing something into it, it immediately shows you relevant results by keyword, part of a word, part of a page title, or part of a URL out of your history. Pretty crazy, really.I'm moreso used to just using the Awesome Bar to the extent of typing in part or most of a URL and then hitting Down and Enter to get to my frequently-visited sites. That already in itself is pretty awesome. ;)

Hi!The awesome bar is a part of my web browsing experience right now and I'd definitely miss it if I were using a browser that doesn't provide similar functionality.I wonder if Safari 4's address bar does anything that the Awesome bar doesn't. I'm guessing they both search page titles and URLs of visited pages while providing search suggestions from search engines.