xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SaraInWasteland

Do You Crack Your Joints (back, Knuckles, Toes, Etc.)? Well, do you?

I crack just about any joint I can crack in my body - neck (well I can't crack it as much now because it hurts for some reason when I try, but sometimes I manage), back, shoulders, elbows, knuckles, knees, ankles, toes - you get the picture. I know a lot of people say it's not good for your joints but that's been proven to be an old wives' tale. It's only a release of trapped air from your joints, so there's no harm in that. Besides, it feels so good when I crack my joints that I don't think I'd stop even if it were bad, haha. So, do you crack your joints?

Yes I do.Although alot of people say that it can lead to bone injury, or arthritis. I find this untrue. Many people just say this to scare people into not doing it. My father and his father,and so on did it. But they have no hand problems. I like to see some real answers.I wonder if anyone else in the forum knows of a type of injury related to cracking yourjoints?

Well i don't crack my joints intentionally such as my fingers, but my knees always seem to crack when i stand up from a sitting position cross legged. Also my wrists crack a bit. I kinda heeded warnings not to crack my joints intentionally as ive been told that it "does" contribute to arthritis.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

To me, it makes sense that you would be contributing to something detrimental by cracking your joints, knuckles, etc. Over a LONG period of time, of course.Think about it this way: You are producing a cracking sound by "popping" and "cracking" two bones together, having caused friction. Repeated occurrences lead to wear and tear of materials, leading to the dreaded possibility of arthritis.I crack my knuckles a lot out of habit... I'm fine without doing it, but it feels funny when you go to crack them and can't, which leaves you with that funny feeling of having to crack them. I've cracked my back once, and although it felt good, I'm sure it's not good for you to be doing that repeatedly.But hey, I'm just going off of personal thought and not actual medical theory. :)

Actually, the popping or cracking noise that we hear when cracking our joints is just the air being released from the joint. The bones aren't grinding against each other or anything of that nature. It's almost like when you pop a balloon - you hear the pop of the sudden release of air. The same goes for knuckles and other joints. However, that's just what I've read though so I wouldn't know for sure. :PI've also read that cracking your back is OK, as long as YOU'RE the one cracking it (by twisting, arching your back, etc.) because if someone else is applying pressure, then it could cause damage. Now I don't have room to talk though, because sometimes I'll have my mom press down on my back with me lying on the floor as it cracks better and feels better when it's done that way than any other way I've tried.

I occasionally crack my knuckles... Actually I do it a lot, but I plan to stop. I didn't used to do it, but a few months ago I started and it became a habit. I'm pretty sure it's not harmful, at least from what I've heard; it just sounds nasty. :P