xisto Community
FruitRocks

If My Web Host Uses Linux, Do I Have To Use Linux To Design It?

nope, you don't need to. Just upload your file as usual. As long you know html (or php and mysql) than you can design your lovely website :) You can install your website from fantastico too (if you"re using cpanel). You can choose from joomla, wordpress, drupal, etc..

Do I? Because I see the /user/bin which i know definitely isn't windows

There is nothing that forces you to use Linux at all. However, just remember than in Linux all file names are case sensitive, so the path images/photo0001.jpg is not the same as images/Photo0001.JPG. This is a common problem people run into because Windows completely ignores the case of file and folder names, so pages appear to work fine on Windows and 'break' on Linux.

There is nothing that forces you to use Linux at all. However, just remember than in Linux all file names are case sensitive, so the path images/photo0001.jpg is not the same as images/Photo0001.JPG. This is a common problem people run into because Windows completely ignores the case of file and folder names, so pages appear to work fine on Windows and 'break' on Linux.

Interesting new information for me. I have only used Linux hosts in the past so I guess that's why I didn't know the difference between Linux and Windows handling (or at least didn't apply it to web hosts as well). I've always had to use case sensitive file names and whatnot.

So if we were to use a Windows host the case wouldn't matter when loading files? Or would it still matter if you are using a Linux OS to load the page?

I'm not quite understanding how the separation works (Is it the host that determines whether they should be case sensitive, the client, or both?)

So if we were to use a Windows host the case wouldn't matter when loading files? Or would it still matter if you are using a Linux OS to load the page?

yes you're right. windows server should ignore it. This only connected with the server host because the server which will read the html, load the files, and send the info to you (client). Client's OS doesn't have any connection with this.

i think rvalkas is saying something about building a website. When you're writing html inside your winblows PC, it will ignore the case, and your files load without any problem. But when you upload it in a linux server, this case wont be ignored and you get errors when loading files.

Do I? Because I see the /user/bin which i know definitely isn't windows

Not at all. I personally use windows on office machines from where i update some of the php/mysql files for my websites and forum. Though CPanel is intended for linux but the web apps which you use to create blog/forums are on windows as well.

Our webhost Xisto have /public_html directory on cpanel where we place all our files to host. so if you're building/installing anything then you've to think about this top directory instead of thinking about your machine. In case of windows host i guess this directory maybe different.

Browser parses webpages independent of the OS, so the directory structure pointing to webpages of either linux or windows web host is simply looking for the URL. This URL is supposed to point at correct path. for example, www. some domain. com/ site/index.html

here browser on linux and windows will look for "/" (this root directory that pointed by domain name) after that will look for site folder from that it tries to deliver the content of index.html page. So seperation maybe at hierarchy of folder structue/name but browser knows how to fetch the files from it irrespective of Webhost.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Ah, thanks a lot for that information guys. I've always just gone ahead and used case-sensitive naming for my sites because I noticed in the past "index.html" wouldn't load up as "Index.html"