xisto Community
sonesay

Adam And Eve I dont get it

you have to look at the bible like anything else in life. the bible is not a higher power. it is a book written by man. you have to separate the b.s. from what makes sense to YOU. you don't have to believe in the book itself...but there are some things in there that are insightfull and true. start with the new testiment and disregard the majority of the old but continue to separate the b.s. this is what you have to do in every day life anyway.

OK... so, are you implying that woman is inferior to man?, with the first temptation and all that. :-/
Also, it has been said that God is everything and infinite.
He knows everything in the past, present and future.

So he KNOWS that creating Adam will eventually lead to the creation of Eve.
And he KNOWS that Eve will get tempted by the serpent.
And the serpent will succeed, and Eve will in turn tempt Adam.
And Adam will get tempted and the Knowledge of Good and Evil will begin.

So technically he WANTED this to happen. The why the punishment?
Why the discrimination of females?

And also, why did he create the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the first place?
If he knew everything and anything in the universe of all of past, present and future,
should he know that this will happen?

And for the females bit... they can't choose whether they want to be male or female when they are born. So it is just a matter of luck in whether you are part of the First Sin ever made or not...

... I don't get Christianity
(No offense to any believers or anything...)

OK... so, are you implying that woman is inferior to man?, with the first temptation and all that. :-/
[...]

Why the discrimination of females?

I'ma assume the last question here follows from the first. In either case, it begs the question anyway. No one implied or mentioned the discrimination of females, neither does Adam and Eve's "fall" imply female discrimination.

So he KNOWS that creating Adam will eventually lead to the creation of Eve.And he KNOWS that Eve will get tempted by the serpent.
And the serpent will succeed, and Eve will in turn tempt Adam.
And Adam will get tempted and the Knowledge of Good and Evil will begin.

So technically he WANTED this to happen. The why the punishment?

Allowing for something to happen does not mean that He wanted it to happen, in the same way that letting go of a person (i.e. allowing a person to leave you) does not mean you wanted to let them go. God does not interfere with free will except under certain conditions, and those conditions were not met in Adam and Eve's case.

And also, why did he create the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the first place?If he knew everything and anything in the universe of all of past, present and future,
should he know that this will happen?

The irony with these questions or statements is, when you get rid of one, another one that is merely a paraphrased version of the last takes its place. For example, if there was no Tree of Knowledge, and Adam and Eve would have "fallen" anyway, you would in turn argue, "Why did God create Adam and Eve in the first place if He knew they would disobey Him?"

But to answer your questions: There is no Biblical explanation as to why He created the Tree of Knowledge. However, given His omniscience, He would know that no matter what He did, they would still disobey. Therefore the Tree of Knowledge's creation is irrelevant. In which case, you would merely argue what i said you would argue in this case. So, your argument is really pointless.

... I don't get Christianity

That's because your arguments mostly consist of straw men.

I seriously do not believe anything I've heard from the bible so far. I cant think of anything I believe that came from him that's been written/told from the bible. There is no concrete fact that prove anything about the bible. You ask me to point out things that I don't agree on or don't make sense to me but I'm sure I've expressed them clearly enough in my previous post. Its kind of going no where as we both have different opinions on what we think is real yet none of us have any concrete proof for anything. That being said there is nothing left to waste as these discussion have provoked thought and it has made me more certain that what I believe so far is probably true.. at least I think it is but I won't bet my life on it if you know what I mean. We are all free to believe what we like and I respect everyone's views. I just hope one of us is right, I don't care because I believe who ever my god is he will understand me and I believe I have no control over things I don't understand. You may think its a crazy way to go about life but there could be worse ways so :). In all seriousness though I enjoyed the discussions about Adam and Eve. I wanted to bring this up so long ago and always pictured the reactions of peoples faces when this topic was brought up. Too bad I did not ask someone in person to see the look on their face.

I believe who ever my god is he will understand me and I believe I have no control over things I don't understand. You may think its a crazy way to go about life but there could be worse ways so ;)

I've seen this kind of wishful thinking in the past before. In an attempt to figure out the roots of it, it generally comes from appeal to consequences. And this appeal to consequences often comes from self-acceptance; that is, the person accepts themselves no matter who they are and what they do. Hence they often declare that they're a "good person," which shows why they would believe that they would be accepted by their "god." But this is often the reason why they don't believe in the Biblical God, because the Biblical God doesn't suit them. But the truth of a matter isn't dependent on what suits a person. And if you didn't have control over things you don't understand, then it would be impossible to grow in understanding.

i'll bet my life that you understand parts of the bible and actually live by some parts that are written in the bible. you just don't know it yet. you also haven't read the bible cover to cover to know any better. i would refrain from posting about something you know nothing about. the bible was in fact written by many people. not one person....but i'm kinda with you in a way. 1/2 of it is full of @#$%

I seriously do not believe anything I've heard from the bible so far. I cant think of anything I believe that came from him that's been written/told from the bible. There is no concrete fact that prove anything about the bible. You ask me to point out things that I don't agree on or don't make sense to me but I'm sure I've expressed them clearly enough in my previous post. Its kind of going no where as we both have different opinions on what we think is real yet none of us have any concrete proof for anything. That being said there is nothing left to waste as these discussion have provoked thought and it has made me more certain that what I believe so far is probably true.. at least I think it is but I won't bet my life on it if you know what I mean. We are all free to believe what we like and I respect everyone's views. I just hope one of us is right, I don't care because I believe who ever my god is he will understand me and I believe I have no control over things I don't understand. You may think its a crazy way to go about life but there could be worse ways so ;). In all seriousness though I enjoyed the discussions about Adam and Eve. I wanted to bring this up so long ago and always pictured the reactions of peoples faces when this topic was brought up. Too bad I did not ask someone in person to see the look on their face.

To Anwii,The second generation is a continuation of the first. It started with adam & Eve and continued up to this day. Adam & Eve started it all. all of creation was not destroyed with the flood. God saved Noah and his family and son-in-laws and some animals to continue in procreation, and it just continued to this day. God promised he would never destroy the earth by flood again. I hope this helps.In His Love

Much of the confusion, I think, stems from literal interpretation of the book of Genesis (meaning generation), a Gnostic work your average lay person has difficulty grasping, let alone understanding. And understandably so. This work wasn?t written with the profane in mind. On the contrary, it contains cryptic text aimed at initiates of mystery schools which is elaborated on further within the Kabbalahistic Zohar. But even here meaning remains convoluted without a basic foundation in the twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet and/or Tree of Life mysteries. And speaking of Hebrew, it?s important to note the book of Genesis has been translated from this ancient tongue to modern languages, thereby losing important nuance in the process. Alchemically speaking, it has been asserted Adam and Eve represent the two creative polarities of Good and Evil, Pingala and Ida, Od and Ob, Ying and Yang, and so on and so forth. From this platform Adam represents the brain and ethereal worlds, and Eve the sexual organs, including both the ovaries of the woman and the testicles of the man, as well as the mundane/physical world. While this interpretation doesn't begin to address the topic starter's question, I fear it comes closer than any suggested thus far. This alone should give you some clue how deep this rabbit hole actually goes.

In response to Misanthorpe:I don't believe God intended things to be so difficult to understand. Yes, Not all things are exactually as we may interpret it and if you do a study of the Bible from its original transcripts you will obviously discover things that you did not see before, but the explanation you just gave is utterly confusing and mind boggling to many people. God did not intend for that. He is not a God of confusion and your interpretation to me was way off. It made no sense. I am not being rude or putting you down, I just think you need to use a little plainer english so people will understand what you are talking about.In His Love

I fear that's the point. It's not intended to be clear and free to the mundane masses. I'm afraid you're one of the profane and the knowledge hidden in the pages of the (original language) books of the bible were intentionally convoluted so that you would not know it without spending a lifetime of study and meditation. True knowledge isn't free. If he were, we wouldn't be the slaves we are.

Adam and Eve, by whom I mean the parents of Cain and Able, were not the first people.

Neolithic man came before they did and then there was the Ice Age and the Stone Age and then we had Cavemen. Adam and Eve were not the first people ever, they were living in the Bronze Age and human beings had been living long before then. Quite simply Adam and Eve were the first people in the Bible. If you read Genesis 4 you will see that Cain went to the land of Nod (another country) where they were building cities (other people) Cain was worried he might be killed by "every one that findeth me" so obviously there were other people living in other lands. Then we continue to read in Genesis chapter four that they had the harp and the organ and they were working in Brass and Iron. Clearly the Bible is not talking about early man and certainly the Bible is not talking about Neolithic man.

The Bible begins about 6000BC and this is why people think the earth is 6000 years old. It isn't it is about 4.5 billion years old.

Genesis 4.

"13And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

14Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

15And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

16And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

18And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.

19And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

20And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.

21And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.

23And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

24If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

25And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.

26And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD."

I hope this clears up a few questions. Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

Adam and Eve were pretty stupid then for being near perfect humans. God is in their face telling them how to live and they go listen to a snake? I don't understand how that could be possible seeing as they were smart/intelligent. I do not think a god would create a man to be stupid especially if it was the first, wait he may be stupid because hes got no previous experiences and memory of any kind so everything is new to him. What ever the reason I still don't buy the story because it doesn't make sense. A lot of things are left up to interpretation and that's just not enough for me. I'm sure the bible no where states that he had blue eyes and she had brown eyes, Where did you get that? I'm sure you made it up just to justify your belief. I'm sorry but if God wanted things the way they are then there's no way we can do anything about it. Everything else is just something people conjure up just to make sense of reality.
Oh yeah by the way I like people thinking for me, Just because I don't respond in a while to my own topic I created does not mean I am not interested in the discussion. Maybe step down from your high ground once in a while.

There are no such things as talking snakes and neither are there trees of the fruit of knowledge.

It was an Old Testament parable. The snake represented satan or if you like the wrong thoughts that come into our head and the point about disobedience is that we do things KNOWING them to be wrong, this is the tree of knowledge and it gets worse when we tempt other people and lead them astray as well. By the way it could have been either Adam or Eve who did wrong and caused to other to do wrong as well. Please do not blame womankind, it is down to ourselves to do what is right and we only know right from wrong when we come of age and when we know the difference.
Edited by Sheffield (see edit history)