xisto Community
Baniboy

Can't Mount Partition? Please help this is urgent

First when I booted into windows and it took forever to load so I kept the start button down for 6 seconds for it to turn off. I started again and I saw this black screen come up and writing some stuff like "correcting errors in..." I also saw some mentioning about the master file table (mft), there was all kind of other stuff. Anyway, it disappeared and it took forever to load, and it started a bit slow, like something was wrong. Just to get windows explorer working right took me like 15 minutes. After that, I tried accessing my second HDD's first partition as usual. I have all my projects, music, videos.. everything except program files. It didn't even show up on "my computer". I'm running vista by the way.Next, I boot into Ubuntu and it can't mount the partition. I know it can't be the whole hard drive that is not functioning properly, because my Ubuntu partition which is on that same drive, is working. I get this kind of error when I try mounting it:post-71342-1248442534_thumb.jpgI tried doing what it said. I ran "chkdsk /f". It launched up command line or something that looked like it and then the window disappeared. I don't even understand what it tells me to do in the second part where it says activate something blah blah blah...I'll try some windows automated startup repair and memory diagnostics tool and everything I can get my hands on to fix this. In the meantime, I made this thread, maybe I'll find some help.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

I don't know how correct I am while suggesting this .. and I don't have much experience with Linux. But as far as I know , I think , If there is an error in Linux and it tells its a hardware fault . Then, probably it is a hardware fault. Windows can be wrong many a times. I don't know if this will work or not.. Other members who are better in Linux :) kindly correct me If I am wrong.. But I think fixing your MBR will solve the problem.Try Fdisk /mbr But I am not sure if you should do this or not since you are running a dual boot system.

...I kept the start button down for 6 seconds for it to turn off...

This, according to a few reliable sources, can be a cause of the problem you're having. When you plug a USB drive into Windows, you have to click "Safely Remove" before you unplug it - well Windows does exactly the same thing with hard drives automatically when you boot up and shut down. By holding down the power button and forcing a shutdown, Windows never properly unmounts the drive, so Linux (or rather, ntfs-3g) will complain. Booting into Windows, running chkdsk, and letting the machine shut down properly might help.

The other possibility is bad sectors on the drive. This could explain why one partition may work fine while another doesn't. If this is the case (and chkdsk should tell you if it is) then your safest bet will be to replace the drive with a new one before it becomes even more unreliable.

I got the partition/drive working in windows. It still gives me the same error in Linux. I don't want to end up replacing my whole drive like rvalkass said.
Anyways, I'm going to holiday tomorrow so I don't have much time, I'll try defraging, formatting and optimization after I've backed up the data.

Try Fdisk /mbr

Could someone verify if this is safe for my computer?
Thanks for replies.