xisto Community
Plenoptic

Truecrypt Hide and Encrypt Files

I came across this program that allows you to not only password a directory but, also hide the volume that it is hidden in. Not only that but, if you are dealing with some top secret stuff, you can hide volumes within volumes, each with separate passwords that you would have to unlock separately to access. So if you were in some type of secret job where something was attempting to extort you for the password, you can give it to them while you still have another file within it completely sealed and hidden. It will hide and encrypt all files within a mounted drive that you set up by attaching it to a file. So if you choose to hide the drive, you have to open the program, find the file you chose to disguise the drive as, and mount it to a drive. You will then need the password to access the drive and files within but, once entered once you can then drag to add or remove files like normal until you choose to dismount the drive and thus hide it again. All files opened while you have the files visible will be unencrypted "on the fly" using RAM so there is no way for someone to tract the encryption or it'd be very difficult. I would recommend it for anyone to have if you wish to hide something from another user as it is private or confidential. Maybe keep it just in case as it is a small program. Best of all, it's FREE.

Download it at...
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I would recommend reading the tutorial to set this stuff up though so you do not lose or accidentally overwrite something. It can be found at the link below.
http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

I came across this program that allows you to not only password a directory but, also hide the volume that it is hidden in. Not only that but, if you are dealing with some top secret stuff, you can hide volumes within volumes, each with separate passwords that you would have to unlock separately to access. So if you were in some type of secret job where something was attempting to extort you for the password, you can give it to them while you still have another file within it completely sealed and hidden. It will hide and encrypt all files within a mounted drive that you set up by attaching it to a file. So if you choose to hide the drive, you have to open the program, find the file you chose to disguise the drive as, and mount it to a drive. You will then need the password to access the drive and files within but, once entered once you can then drag to add or remove files like normal until you choose to dismount the drive and thus hide it again. All files opened while you have the files visible will be unencrypted "on the fly" using RAM so there is no way for someone to tract the encryption or it'd be very difficult. I would recommend it for anyone to have if you wish to hide something from another user as it is private or confidential. Maybe keep it just in case as it is a small program. Best of all, it's FREE.

Download it at...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I would recommend reading the tutorial to set this stuff up though so you do not lose or accidentally overwrite something. It can be found at the link below.

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Thanks so much for posting this :(

I have another encryption program however it is a fairly moderate sized program, however it runs slowly and is outdated.

I belive Truecrypt is much lighter and faster :angel:

I have been using TrueCrypt for a couple of months now. It is really great! The best part of it is it s flexibility. As Plenoptic describes it can be used in many different ways and you can create many volumes (effectively looking like logic partitions on your hard drive) with different security levels. You may for example share one of the passwords with colleagues or friends and keep some others just for yourself.One thing I use it for right now is for... running Firefox! I like to keep my firefox tabs from one session to another so that I can quickly go back to work even if I switch off my computer in between. I will have my mailboxes already open, my Xisto logged in etc. The problem with that is that I don't really like to leave all that signed in on a computer even if that is my personal computer, even less if it is a shared one. After trying different methods, including hiding my firefox profile files between sessions, not really practical, until I found TrueCrypt. With it I can create an encrypted volume using the "container file method". The file will look something like "mycontainer.abc" or whatever you like, and you can even make it hidden if you like. When I start my computer all I do is run TrueCrypt, browse to this file, mount it with my password and I will have my K: drive letter (or whatever you like) available. On this volume I have a copy of Firefox Portable, which has the peculiarity of having all of its files in a single path. Running Firefox Portable from this volume (can create a shortcut, it won't work unless I mount the volume first) will bring up my previous session just the way I want it.Of course it can also be used for hiding your documents, photos or whatever you like. Another good point is that it is available for Windows and Linux (maybe Mac too, not sure). So you just need to have the program (very small) on your USB drive and you can then encrypt the rest of your USB pen if you like and mount it on the fly whenever you need those files.A slightly negative note, you need administrator privileges on Windows to be able to mount the encrypted volumes. So it cannot exactly be used on all computers, thus excluding a lot of public computers.

Yes after messing with it some more i found that you can hide entire programs if you wish by just installing it to the current drive. All you have to do is go into the program directory to open the executable file. (no shortcut unless maybe you install it to the same directory you mount). It's cool that you can also hide volumes on USB flash drives so no one has to know what is on there either. Just have to make sure no one deletes the volume or it is all history. I still need to set up the part where different passwords open different files.

This sounds interesting, I will definately download this, I have been looking for this sort of program for some time, and I can think of uses for many of the questions. So well done, 5 star find.