xisto Community
rejected

Make Yourself Admin On A Computer

Last year, my whole family used one computer, and I could never install anything because my account was limited, and my parents were scared I would download a virus. One day I decided to try and find a way to make myself able to install stuff, and I found out, but because of my parents carelessness. It doesn't work if the Administrator, the one that doesn't show up on logon has a password.Here's how to do it: Restart your computer, and when it first starts press f8, it's f5 on some computers, and then select run Windows in safe mode with networking, and then Windows should load, and a new user will shows up, "Administrator". Click it, and if it logs you on, go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Your user name>Change account type> Now select Computer administrator click ok, and restart your computer.If it asks for a password, then you can't do it.

But if the admistrator account has a password on it you will need to reset the file that stores the passwords in the computer. This can be easily done if you have a ntfs reader,a bootable disk, and access to the BIOS.

Hey Guys,There's one sure fire way to do it. Crack open the case... remove the CMOS battery...wait 5-10min...then re-install the battery. This totally clears ALL password settings stored in CMOS (including Admin). Better have a backup of the BIOS on a floppy boot disk so you can "re-flash" the BIOS program for insurance. Also be prepared with all the info you need to do the re-flash BEFORE you attempt this. If something goes wrong, then you have a $1000+ paperweight (ie. totally dead computer) on your desk if you don't have the BIOS program on a boot disk. After the computer re-boots, then just do the boot to the BIOS startup screen & restore the any settings to the pre-flash status if needed. Then, just set up the new (& old) "Admin" accounts you want. Of course, trying this on someones computer where you don't have legitimate access is a crime- so don't do it there!Hope this HelpsRGPHNX

This is wierd! I don't really understand how you can log on into administrator in safe mode. I guess I never booted up my computer in safe mode before... Anyways, I'm admin on my own computer so it's all good!

The only reason that you can log on in Windows in Safe mode as Administrator is that Safe Mode is scrtictly for debugging the computer. Otherwise you woudln't be able to log on as Adminsitrator. Anyways, in SafeMode, I don't think you can change any passwords, wouldn't that createsome sort of giant security hole in Windows? I haven't tried it, but seroiusly doubt it works.

I think just about anyone knew that but thanks for sharing this nice piece of information, that you have found out , with us. I am the administrator on my computer so i don't need to worry.

ummm,there is another way to sovle the problem that you can use net command of Windows.generally speaking,first your comp is in safe mode ,then log in as a Administrator.you should type net user Administrator /active:y enter and type net user Administrator password enter in the Run of Windows.during what i said above,there is a Administrator and password,which you can change them to what you want change.er,i ofen use this way to help my classmate who didnot go in to his comp.have a try...

Hey Guys,

There's one sure fire way to do it. Crack open the case... remove the CMOS battery...wait 5-10min...then re-install the battery. This totally clears ALL password settings stored in CMOS (including Admin). Better have a backup of the BIOS on a floppy boot disk so you can "re-flash" the BIOS program for insurance. Also be prepared with all the info you need to do the re-flash BEFORE you attempt this. If something goes wrong, then you have a $1000+ paperweight (ie. totally dead computer) on your desk if you don't have the BIOS program on a boot disk.

After the computer re-boots, then just do the boot to the BIOS startup screen & restore the any settings to the pre-flash status if needed. Then, just set up the new (& old) "Admin" accounts you want. Of course, trying this on someones computer where you don't have legitimate access is a crime- so don't do it there!

Hope this Helps

RGPHNX

47840[/snapback]

Won't work on the laptops. I suspect new laptops use flash memory because in the manual it says that if you forget the BIOS password there is no way you can reset it yourself and you will need to send your laptop back to the manufacturer.

Hey Guys,There's one sure fire way to do it. Crack open the case... remove the CMOS battery...wait 5-10min...then re-install the battery. This totally clears ALL password settings stored in CMOS (including Admin). Better have a backup of the BIOS on a floppy boot disk so you can "re-flash" the BIOS program for insurance. Also be prepared with all the info you need to do the re-flash BEFORE you attempt this. If something goes wrong, then you have a $1000+ paperweight (ie. totally dead computer) on your desk if you don't have the BIOS program on a boot disk.
After the computer re-boots, then just do the boot to the BIOS startup screen & restore the any settings to the pre-flash status if needed. Then, just set up the new (& old) "Admin" accounts you want. Of course, trying this on someones computer where you don't have legitimate access is a crime- so don't do it there!
Hope this Helps
RGPHNX

Won't work on the laptops. I suspect new laptops use flash memory because in the manual it says that if you forget the BIOS password there is no way you can reset it yourself and you will need to send your laptop back to the manufacturer.

Yea there is always a way to reset it. Just call the company that you bought it from and they will tell you. That is if they are nice...

Yea, on my old lap top all I had to do was unplug this little chip inside of it, and it reset the bios for me. I looked it up online, too.

They didn't put the password for nothing. I don't think they want to let anyone use it if they actually put a password, so everyone should respect that fact.

Umm yeah I don't really think you can change a password on Safemode, like someone here said it'd be a huge windows security hole, but well I'll check it out next time I have to restart using safe mode to remove annoying viruses or spyware...I just have a question, insted of trying to crack the password or whatever why don't you get a computer of your own and then you can do and install whatever the heck you want...?

I have a computer of my own, like I said this was back when I was like 13. There is an invisable user only visible in safemode, check it out.